• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

Bx 16v Radiator

Ryan

I need a new radiator as mine has had a pinhole leak for a while now which has recently started getting worse.

Since putting the mi16 in the rad has never fitted right, and there is probably 2mm clearance for the inlet at most. I've heard that the BX 16v rads will fit the 205 and are a bit narrower, so I could mount it further forwards.

Before going out and buying one does anybody happen to have one lying about that they could measure? I need to know the width (both including the bottom outlet and without), height, and thickness.

jackherer

If its just a pinhole and the rest of your rad is good patch the hole with araldite and it'll stay sealed until the rest of the rad rusts away.

inferno

why do you need to know this?! it does fit. youll need to hack a bit off the fan shroud for a snug fit, and cant remember if i cut and joined the water pipes or not, but it defo fits with loads of clearance.

jackherer

As for the BX rad, if you're using the standard fan cowling then it can be made to tuck in much further than the 205 rad with some careful cutting (including notches for the pins on top of the rad) which may not be obvious from measurements but is an advantage.

Ryan

The current rad is pretty fecked. As well as the leak it's had radweld put in it too many times by the previous owners. It's bashed and damaged, and it's got the botton 6 or 7 tubes crimped shut to stop it leaking from where it looks like it's been dropped in the past.

I also want to make room for an a/c condensor to fit at some point too. If the BX rad is narrower then I can mount it right at the front, put the condensor behind it and then put a pair of pull fans on the engine side - like a pair of 106 fans or some aftermarket slimline ones.

VisaGTi16v

I can measure mine tomorrow morning and post when I get home early afternoon. It cant be much over an inch thick. Only have one photo of it in my car and you cant see the thickness there

post-8685-1176461141_thumb.jpg

Super Josh

According to buypartysby, here are the two dimensions, although they only give the width and height

205 1.9 610 x 287mm

BX 16V 530 x 286mm

Josh

Ryan

Thats the core size, and doesn't include the end tanks. But if it's that much narrower then I recon it'll fit easily. :(

My GTI rad is 710mm wide including the end tanks and is about 35mm too wide to fit between the headlight panels where I want it. So the BX rad will probably be 600-650mm wide and fit nicely.

DrSarty

I have heard that the BX16v rad fits perfectly and IS DEFINATELY THINNER. I had a complete BX16v as my donor and in hindsight wish I'd used mine. Sorry, it went in the bin. :D

DrS :(

Ryan

The C15 rad looks about the same size, and about £15 cheaper too. I might try and find one of those to measure too...

VisaGTi16v

Ok just measured mine at lunch. Its in the car with all bodywork on so may be a couple of mm out and these dont take into account the pipes sticking out of each end

610mm Wide, 310mm High, 53mm Deep/Thick

Ryan

That's pretty much the perfect size. Thanks.

How does it differ from the standard Visa radiator, is it thicker or is it just the extra outlets near the bottom hose?

VisaGTi16v

From memory (had the 16v one in the car for 4 years now), I think the std gti one was the same width and height but it was thinner slightly, the cores (if thats what you call them, the kinda honey comb) were far less packed in the 8v one which must mean less cooling as less surface area. That was a standard 1.6 115bhp one, probably same as in the 205. A late 1.9 diesel C15 one may be ok although diesels run cooler I think so possibly only the same as the gti so not upto the job? Cant remember regarding the outlets, I just chucked the entire bx set up into it ^_^

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Mikey S
I also want to make room for an a/c condensor to fit at some point too. If the BX rad is narrower then I can mount it right at the front, put the condensor behind it and then put a pair of pull fans on the engine side - like a pair of 106 fans or some aftermarket slimline ones.

the condensor ideally wants to be mounted in front of the radiator for maximum effect, or else it gets heated by the hot air coming through the rad.

Ryan

I might have to go hunting in the scrappy and do some measuring then...

Nissan 200SX rads look good too (a bit tall at ~400mm, but the bottom hose could go under the lower crossmember). They flow botton-top instead of side-side but the outlets are in the right place.

Mikey S
I might have to go hunting in the scrappy and do some measuring then...

Nissan 200SX rads look good too (a bit tall at ~400mm, but the bottom hose could go under the lower crossmember). They flow botton-top instead of side-side but the outlets are in the right place.

what about an ax or 106/saxo unit?. there normally aluminium which apparently cools better and it doesnt rot out as quickly as normal rads.

Ryan

The original rads are copper which is even better for cooling than alloy, but heavier and more expensive. Certainly not better than a proper pug readiator, despite what ebay sellers like the claim. Loads of people here use them without problems though.

The AX rads are too big to fit where I want it too, and probably not upto the job anyway.

Malachy
The original rads are copper which is even better for cooling than alloy, but heavier and more expensive.

not completly true though.

copper rads have steel endcaps/bindings and structure to put the copper fins onto, steel sucks for cooling and retains the heat rather than loosing it, alu rads are constructed out of pure alu which gives far better cooling overall due to the lack of steel.

yes if the rads were made purely of copper then they would be better than the alu, but unfortunatly they are not!

how many times have you heard of someones radiater rusting through?

lots

its the steel that holds it together that rusts, either that or it must be some special "rusty" copper :D

regards

Andy

Edited by Malachy

inferno

why not fit a 205 condenser and rad in the standard cowling? it fits with a shortened mi manifold...

Ryan

My 309 condensor is slightly different to the 205 ones and won't fit like that.

I was just thinking outside the box...

inferno

i have a 205 condenser for 25£ if you want it? v good condition, was goin to use it as a charge cooling rad but im going front mount intercooler now. any good to u?

Ryan

Thanks, but all stick with what I've got as it's virtually brand new. OK so it doesn't fit as intended, but that's a minor problem.

Sign in to follow this