• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Wheel Bearing

GazRallye

I get a knocking coming from the n/s that sounds like something wobbling and the faster i am going the more it wobbles, it only happens when turning left, and the driveshaft was replaced 2 months ago.

Also the theres an occasional (now getting more frequent) screeching sound coming from the same side which becomes louder when i back off the accelerator and in the split second when the clutch is depressed during a gear change, it is sometimes there when accelerating or braking but most noticable when i'm changing gear or letting it coast in or out of gear.

pugrallye

Knocking sounds more like a diff bearing going, give the offending side's inner cv joint a waggle up and down if there is loads of wobble, bearings/diff are on way out

GazRallye

The shaft is solid as a rock (fner fner)

pugrallye

shouldnt be stroking it lol

Have to jack N/S wheel up then and check for play/ noises on rotation

Edited by pugrallye

GazRallye

Just had a look now, seems to be no play up and down a little L to R but i think that was just the steering moving

I rotated the wheel only noise was a squelchy rubbery sound but the driveshaft isn't rotating true, should it be?

kyepan

yep it should your driveshaft might have died.

is the gear stick wobbling?

GazRallye

Gear stick is ok

The driveshaft was a reconditioned unit i fitted just 2 months ago, there also seems to be a bit of gear oil coming from where this shaft goes into the box, could this be anything to do with it?

Alastairh

Wheel bearing tend to whine. best way to check is jack the wheel up and push and pull the wheel at 12 + 6 o'clock.

Could be anything, drop links, bottom ball joints, loose sub frame bolts and drive shaft.

As you said its had a new shaft check the hub nut is tight :D

GazRallye

Could a worn wheel bearing cause knocking as well?

The knocking isn't too disconcerting, its the whining/screeching noise thats more worrying as its developed recently where as the knock was already there and hasn't got any worse.

Yes the hub nut is tight :D

Alastairh

Did you jack the wheel up and push and pull the wheel at 12 + 6 o'clock?

GazRallye

yep, its absolutely fine, no play at all

GazRallye

It was the driveshaft that i suspected in the first place but the whining noise made me think wheel bearing although it appears to have no play in it.

Do driveshafts squeal if they are on there way out? I've never had it before, they usually knock. I need to get this sorted soon as i've a track day in less than 2 weeks!

pugrallye

depends on how out of true it is, and what loading it was putting on other parts, good old peugeot driveshafts!

GazRallye

Its pretty damn out of true as i can obviously see it when it is rotated slowly, maybe by 5-10mm! Shocking for a supposed reconditioned unit!

Thing is i have the receipt for it, but i'm not sure if they will give me my cash back for it, they could say i fitted it wrong or i've damaged it in the 2 months i've neen using it.

Stupidly i left the 18 month manufacturer guarantee in the box when i returned the old unit. Bugger.

pugrallye

Is it an AMK item?

The place where you bought it from should honour it with a receipt, have sent loads back in the past, and never had any problems failing that i have a spare one here you can have

Edited by pugrallye

GazRallye

its a shaftec one, i got it from my local motor factors

you have one for an xs? is it in good usable condition, i might be interested in it as i need a replacement one before i return it and i'm a bit strapped for cash

pugrallye

yeah its a genuine one too, second hand mind, but nothing wrong with it, normally keep them for spares for when mine bend, lol

GazRallye

Well if your up for selling it shall we take this to pm, i need it before the 24th...

pugrallye

its free mate, pm me when you would like it and we can arrange something

GazRallye

You got PM

Sign in to follow this