• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petesy71

How Many Newtonmeters To Tighten A Wheel?

petesy71

hi all,

first off i've searchched for tyre rotation and newtonmeters.i've had the motor out for a few good runs lately and was going to rotate the tyres.

i was speaking to a guy in a tyre place,he said 100 newtonmeters for cars,i'm used to tightening things up too much but after using the torque wrench on these it really didn't seem like much pressure at all.

any advice from those in the know mutch appreciated, thanks, pete.

frodo_monkey

I've used 85NM on my wheels, can't remember exactly why but I'm fairly sure I took it direct from the Haynes :(

petesy71
I've used 85NM on my wheels, can't remember exactly why but I'm fairly sure I took it direct from the Haynes :(

i had a quick look through haynes and didnt find anything, ta for the reply.

welshpug

63 lbft or 85 Nm

chapter 10, suspension and steering :(

Edited by welshpug

petesy71
63 lbft or 85 Nm

thanks guys. i think i'll have to admit that i have a tightening problem. cheers for the advice, pete.

inferno

forget newton meters and use a wrench?! fecking tight works if its steelies... tight enough works if its alloys:P

frodo_monkey

A man whose brain works the same as mine... :(

"If in doubt, hit it with a bigger hammer" or "Theres nothing you can't fix with an angle grinder" works for me :(

Richie-Van-GTi

I use the old push by hand then a swift kick with foot on the wrench method. Never had a wheel fall off yet.

nice to know Im in like minded company on here.

Example, a recent shopping trip got me a stud extractor set and a small axe., Either way the studs coming out.

Baz

As said, 60lb ft 'll do fine. :lol:

It really annoys me when people do them up to tight, an anal pet hate of mine!! :(

I once watched a lad tightening his wheels on a 106, literally jumping up and down on a bar! I was just waiting for the inevitable... SNAP!!! :(

petesy71
As said, 60lb ft 'll do fine. :)

It really annoys me when people do them up to tight, an anal pet hate of mine!! :lol:

I once watched a lad tightening his wheels on a 106, literally jumping up and down on a bar! I was just waiting for the inevitable... SNAP!!! :P

unfortunately i'm that kind of guy, i will however try to learn. thanks for all the replys, i'm now off to loosten the wheel nuts!

Baz

:lol:

Check the threads are still intact then! :P

petesy71
:lol:

Check the threads are still intact then! :P

whats left of them :)

welshpug

and if they are give them a bit of copper grease, threads and washer faces.

brianthemagical

i tell people to do them as tight as they can with the wrench thats in there car, ointless doing them up reet tight if you can't get them off. i do them to 100nm but have a breaker bar and impact wrench to help take them off, not sure if i need it but i'm lazy.

inferno

from days of working in quick fit, (they have charts on the walls and it varies car to car!!!!!) approx 85ib ft for alloys and 105 for steelies.

Baz

That makes sense then... :lol: Kwik-Fit etc are always the worst for over-tightening IMO, usually with the impact gun until it can't go no more!

That makes sense then... :lol: Kwik-Fit etc are always the worst for over-tightening IMO, usually with the impact gun until it can't go no more!

yeah but thats with the normal guns

after that they get big bertha out and gun the s*it out of every nut including the locking wheel nut key until it rounds off an then they get the breaker bar, extend it with some scaffold and 3x ofthem swing off the end

only then is is allowed to go on the road

Baz

pmsl! Sounds about right!

'yeah we wou'nt wanna wheel cummin off nah wood we' :lol:

welshpug
from days of working in quick fit, (they have charts on the walls and it varies car to car!!!!!) approx 85ib ft for alloys and 105 for steelies.

sounds about right, some doofus must have mistaken LBFT for Nm :lol:

GLPoomobile

I use a breaker bar but only do them up with moderate arm pressure and I've never had any wheels do a runner on me. They are always tight to undo as well, so I could probably get away with even less torque.

I absolutely bloody hate it when they are done up too tight to get off. I've struggled with a breaker bar at times after a garage has been at them, so how they expect you to get them off in an emergency using that f***ing pathetic bar thing that Peugeot supply is beyond me. I always carry my breaker bar now.

pug_life

i have a torque wrench set to 90NM.. just use it for bolt fitting, got into the habit of checking all 4 wheels from doing race car wheel changes and making sure there done up ok....

Never trust a Kwik Fit fitter... used them once and never again...

GLPoomobile
i have a torque wrench set to 90NM.. just use it for bolt fitting, got into the habit of checking all 4 wheels from doing race car wheel changes and making sure there done up ok....

Never trust a Kwik Fit fitter... used them once and never again...

You cannae get s*itter than a Kwik Fit fitter :D

Mike Walker

Best to stick to the 85nm as stated as it's too bloody easy to strip the threads on the rubbish wheel bolts/hubs :D

Sign in to follow this