• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saner

1.6 Gti Wont Start/idle Is Very Lumpy If Held On Accelerator

Guest Saner

Can't really say much more than the title and description!

Some water got into the engine bay (bonnet up, rain) so I figured it just needed to dry out. Seems not the case!

Starter motor turns and cranks engine but engine will not start without help from acclerator.

If helf at 1,500rpm with accelerator the car judders so much it almost hurts above that (only tested upto 3,000rpm) its better, but still not normal.

My thinking is the timing is out, I realise water couldn't have changed the belts position so it must be something electrical? Checked Dizzy and plugs which seemed to be fine.

Any more ideas?

Started like a dream this morning!

t16ryan

Checked for water in the dizzy cap? also the spark plug holes sometime fill up a little with water if cleaned engine bay?

Edited by t16ryan

brianthemagical

give everthing in the engine bay a very good check over and make sure everthing is pluged in and connected as it should be. sounds like when i disconected my afm. timing will only be out if you moved something.

inferno

the 3 pin plug from the dizzy is allergic to water!!! unplug it, clean and dry it, and the others mentioned above.

my old gti still did this afterwards and i replaced the dizzy itself to cure it.

Guest Saner

Thanks guys, its better but there is still problems!

Clean the dizzy and spark plugs, and its started fine first time, happily idling at 1,350ishrpm.

Then as soon as I gave it some gas it starte misfiring again!

Took all the plugs out, checked they were all sparking and checked the were each firing in the cylinders. All fine

Started like a dream again, then the idle dropped to 1,100 and now it just idles between 900 and 1,100. If any accelerator is used to cut out again!

max0
Thanks guys, its better but there is still problems!

Clean the dizzy and spark plugs, and its started fine first time, happily idling at 1,350ishrpm.

Then as soon as I gave it some gas it starte misfiring again!

Took all the plugs out, checked they were all sparking and checked the were each firing in the cylinders. All fine

Started like a dream again, then the idle dropped to 1,100 and now it just idles between 900 and 1,100. If any accelerator is used to cut out again!

HT leads? Could be breaking down. Have you tried takin each one off and givin them a good clean? I had a similar problem with mine. I only noticed it was the ht leads as i started it in the dark and could see it arking.

Edited by max0

Guest Saner

I'll take it all apart then and give it a real good clean.

Only reason I havent done this is I know i'll forget the order.

Is the a diagram anywhere that shows which lead goes where on teh Dizzy? (I think they are currently incorrect anyway)

max0
I'll take it all apart then and give it a real good clean.

Only reason I havent done this is I know i'll forget the order.

Is the a diagram anywhere that shows which lead goes where on teh Dizzy? (I think they are currently incorrect anyway)

I just took one of at a time and cleaned it etc not to get it wrong :)

Sign in to follow this