• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

What Engine?

steve@cornwall

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the engine I've just bought

It came out of a 1.9 "F" reg 205, and apparently was rather rapid! Appears to be an sri block? oil level switch by dipstick hole in block, no sump spacer.

Tags on the block, where the engine number usually is say 1CW 02 and Type 159A PCT

Head is stamped 4V30 ((or similar- lightly stamped by lug nearest dizzy)

inlet mani. is stock 205 gti

It has hex headbolts marked 10.9

Fitted with dark blue (MI ?) injectors

It has an oil cooler

A search tells me this is a citroen 1.9 block that has flat pistons, incompatible with the gti head.Does the gti manifold mate straight to the citroen head, then?

It was a cheap engine, with all ancillaries and mated to a td gearbox (why?) and is destined for my cti project if all is well with it

any ideas gratefully received

Edited by steve@cornwall

steve@cornwall

50 views so far, no ideas? :)

It's going in at the weekend, as I can't leave it in my boot any longer---- unless anyone knows why I shouldn't?

jim21070

Steve,

We're all stumped. Every member of this forum is going around with furrowed brows trying to work this out.

My best guess is an older Citroen BX GTi engine but the 159A bit is confusing.

If it is a BX GTi engine than it gives, if I remember, more torque than the 205 1.9 GTi due to a different cam profile. In which case it is a good choice.

The hex head bolts suggest it is old enough to have been in a BX. TD box will be too long for it though.

steve@cornwall
Steve,

We're all stumped. Every member of this forum is going around with furrowed brows trying to work this out.

My best guess is an older Citroen BX GTi engine but the 159A bit is confusing.

If it is a BX GTi engine than it gives, if I remember, more torque than the 205 1.9 GTi due to a different cam profile. In which case it is a good choice.

The hex head bolts suggest it is old enough to have been in a BX. TD box will be too long for it though.

Well, it's all gone in together :) With the inlet off, it has gti shaped ports, but with a long machined slot the height of the ports and about 8mm wide running between ports 1+2 and 3+4 above the little water hole.

And no bloody where to fit the oil-pressure sender :)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll see how it runs

tom_m

if its an sri (or equivalent block) with flat topped pistons and a gti head it will be getting a compression ratio of somewhere in teh region of 12:1 iirc

what ecu did it come with?

and dark blue injectors are 1.6 aren't they? Mi injectors are the same as 8v aren't they?

Edited by tom_m

jackherer

I think 159A is a 105bhp BX 1.9 engine, but I don't have a BX haynes to hand so I can't check. I'm pretty sure its not a BX GTi/405 SRI type engine :)

steve@cornwall
if its an sri (or equivalent block) with flat topped pistons and a gti head it will be getting a compression ratio of somewhere in teh region of 12:1 iirc

what ecu did it come with?

and dark blue injectors are 1.6 aren't they? Mi injectors are the same as 8v aren't they?

1.6 injectors are light blue, came without ecu

Edited by steve@cornwall

Super Josh

Well, after Kieran's prompt, I've dug out my BX Manual ( Oh, maybe another T-Shirt idea :) ) and the 159A is indeed 105 BHP @ 5600 rpm and 88.1 lb/ft @ 2000 and runs a C/R of 9.3:1, so a bit of a low end torque monster. Is this similar to the low comp. 105 BHP engine used in the CTIs?

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

steve@cornwall
Well, after Kieran's prompt, I've dug out my BX Manual ( Oh, maybe another T-Shirt idea :) ) and the 159A is indeed 105 BHP @ 5600 rpm and 88.1 lb/ft @ 2000 and runs a C/R of 9.3:1, so a bit of a low end torque monster. Is this similar to the low comp. 105 BHP engine used in the CTIs?

Josh

Should be ok for a relaxing cruiser then :) Thanks for the imfo! Now any ideas for the oil pressure guage? :)

tom_m
Should be ok for a relaxing cruiser then :D Thanks for the imfo! Now any ideas for the oil pressure guage? :P

t-piece from the stop light :ph34r:

steve@cornwall
t-piece from the stop light :P

Cheers, Tom!

It takes off like a scalded cat :D but the water pump is leaking :ph34r: Sandy donated a 1.9 ecu so it's now running the correct 1.9 injection bits too, and a fookin big t.d rad, 'cos I busted mine fitting it back in (don't ask).

So, a good idea to fit a cambelt and water pump before fitting a s/h engine? yes, yes, yes

Sign in to follow this