• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Another Which Headunit Q?

Rather than hijack the other thread I thought I'd ask a separate Q.

Never bought any ice apart from some cheapo speakers several yrs ago. Currently have a ten year old panasonic tape h/u :) , no front speakers (I took the originals out, the cones were torn) and a rear stealth shelf with alpine 6x9s.

I have an ipod so want to connect that and listen to a lot of radio.

Have narrowed it down to either spending approx 100 on say one of the sony h/u (GT300 I think) with an aux in at the front for the ipod and some 30-40 quid speakers for the front OR doubling the budget, getting something like Sony brooklands speakers and an alpine h/u with their full speed connection for ipod (about 150 quid web price).

Would it be worth spending the extra do you think in something as noisy and rattly as the 205!?

Cheers!

DrSarty

I have some upgraded front 100w coaxials which I've just taken out from my 205. You can have these for a pint (beer :P ) if you like - you're not far from me too.

I had an 80Wrms amp powering them so they're plenty good enough to run off your new head unit which you can now spend more cash on with this speaker saving.

I agree - don't go over board. £100-£175 should by you a really tasty, MP3, external player compatible head unit. The more you spend will only enable you to perhaps get remote control or more expansion features like RCA outputs for amps. As long as it says iPod compatible and has a front connection, I'd just choose a recognizable brand and one you like the controls and looks on.

This means the Sony sounds fine, IF it has the other features you want.

EDIT: Just looked on eBay (not allowed to place link, sorry) for item listed thus: SONY CDX-GT300 CAR CD, MP3 iPOD INTERFACE BRAND NEW £95. Looks an absolute bargain for Buy it Now...I'd snap it up dude!

Regards

Rich :)

Edited by DrSarty

I have some upgraded front 100w coaxials which I've just taken out from my 205. You can have these for a pint (beer :P ) if you like - you're not far from me too.

I had an 80Wrms amp powering them so they're plenty good enough to run off your new head unit which you can now spend more cash on with this speaker saving.

I agree - don't go over board. £100-£175 should by you a really tasty, MP3, external player compatible head unit. The more you spend will only enable you to perhaps get remote control or more expansion features like RCA outputs for amps. As long as it says iPod compatible and has a front connection, I'd just choose a recognizable brand and one you like the controls and looks on.

This means the Sony sounds fine, IF it has the other features you want.

EDIT: Just looked on eBay (not allowed to place link, sorry) for item listed thus: SONY CDX-GT300 CAR CD, MP3 iPOD INTERFACE BRAND NEW £95. Looks an absolute bargain for Buy it Now...I'd snap it up dude!

Regards

Rich :)

So that's one vote for the Sony....

What make are your speakers?

DrSarty
So that's one vote for the Sony....

What make are your speakers?

They're 'Master Audio' whoever they are! But why does that matter - they're practically free?

I've been building really hi-spec, huge sound systems for years, and you can take my word for it they're pretty damn good; especially for peanuts. :)

Once I've made up my mind what I'm gonna do....I'll let you know if I want them. Cheers :)

Super Josh

Buy the Alpine with the full speed Ipod interface. Everything else will seem slow to access your Ipod, and will get on your tits after a few minutes :)

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

Buy the Alpine with the full speed Ipod interface. Everything else will seem slow to access your Ipod, and will get on your tits after a few minutes :rolleyes:

Josh

I was going to go for the Sony which just connects via a 3.5mm (or whatever the size is) through the front input on the h/u - so just control through the ipod itself

Sign in to follow this