• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Eccentric Top Mounts

skinner2k3

Hi

In order to gain a bit of negative camber would it be possible to relocate the three studs in the strut top mount?

I haven't measured the distance from wishbone to strut top but I would have thought 1 to 1.5 degrees would be achievable with about 10-15ml of movement at the mount. Similar to eccentric mounts but for penny pinchers like myself : )

I fancied a go because a) I have a spare set knocking about and :) finding a good set of 309 wishbones is getting harder.

There may be some very good reason why not that I have completely missed, sorry if this is a daft question.

Ben

Sandy

It's awkward, but it can be done. I've looked at doing this on the Trio outwards (I have 70mm wider track), so I can go back to the OE top mounts from the rose jointed ones I have fitted. In order to drop the front 10mm (it went up 10mm with the rose jointed ones) and lose the clonk.

smckeown
Hi

In order to gain a bit of negative camber would it be possible to relocate the three studs in the strut top mount?

I haven't measured the distance from wishbone to strut top but I would have thought 1 to 1.5 degrees would be achievable with about 10-15ml of movement at the mount. Similar to eccentric mounts but for penny pinchers like myself : )

I fancied a go because a) I have a spare set knocking about and :) finding a good set of 309 wishbones is getting harder.

There may be some very good reason why not that I have completely missed, sorry if this is a daft question.

Ben

why rule out buying new 309 wishbones ? especially as the ball joints wear anyway

skinner2k3

True, not sure why I havent looked into that.

Are there genuine and pattern parts about? Would I have to get them from Pug?

skinner2k3

Just priced up the wishbones and driveshafts from GSF and it came out to just shy of £300 with the VAT.

My budget wont stretch to that.

jackherer

try buypartsby.co.uk for the wishbones, and eurocarparts for the driveshafts.

zilog

Is it possible to just buy the shafts and not the joints at the ends?

jackherer
Is it possible to just buy the shafts and not the joints at the ends?

yes, from eurocarparts, but you'll need old ones to exchange. they dont measure them so old 205 ones will do :)

jonah

Adjusting the camber (and caster) by moving the top mounts is possible and not even very difficult... I have done it a few times, not to change the angles from standard, but to get them back to standard after hitting potholes and things...

You will need to elongate the centre hole in the turret to allow the strut top to be repositioned, and possibly trim some metal off the edge of the strut top mounting plate to gain extra clearance. To reposition it you can either fit new studs to the plate and use the existing holes in the turret, or leave the studs and drill new holes or file out the existing ones. The amount of adjustment you can get depends on what springs you're running - with standard diameter ones from memory the most you can get is about 10mm which translates to about 1 degree. Easy enough to work out if you can remember your GCSE trigonometry :)

Guest velocity raptor
Just priced up the wishbones and driveshafts from GSF and it came out to just shy of £300 with the VAT.

My budget wont stretch to that.

general traffic in preston, bottom arms £30 and shafts £45 and £50 respectively £30 surcgarge on each shaft tho, but if u send yours at the same time no probs

bren_1.3

graphite grey e-plate by any chance?

Sign in to follow this