• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dandu

Experiences/recommendations For An Exhaust Manifold (mi16)

Dandu

Hello,

it's my intention to replace the standard exhaust manifold incl. the reangled standard-downpipe. As far as I know, there are some exhaust manifolds available (standard one: 309 GTi 16V, maniflow, pugspares ...). Does anyone have some experiences with one of these? Or others? Please refer to the possibility of fitting the standard exhaust system (middle + rear) as well. Are you able to compare them according its performance characteristics?

There is probably no need to mention, that I'm grateful for any kind of offer (new/used). Although I've to mention, that I'm from Germany. But I already wrote it down in the "wanted"-section of the forum.

Bye Dandu

Miles

The Pugspares/Maniflow are the same depending on the batch you buy along with the one I supply which comes from ex-employee who's now set up working for himself, Fitting is all the same with these slight mod's are needed for them to fit the system, the worst system to mate to I have found so far is the Magnex system which comes with the 4-1 manifold as the bend in the middle section is in the wrong place, All other systems are easy to fit onto.

I don;t think anyone (Might be 1 or 2) in the UK has the GTI16 manifold as by all account's it fouls the master cylinder so one of the Dutch people might be able to help here

I've never done a back to back test on these yet

Alan_M

I have experience of three, a re-angled manifold, a wedge and a Miles 4-2-1 Maniflow type.

The reangled manifold kept cracking on the primary lengths of the manifold making a drive through europe noisey, and both me and Anthony tone-deaf by the time we go home :) Oh, and it melted the ECU loom which we covered in ally foil from a French supermarket, and is still there this day :P

The wedge worked for a bit, then kept blowing on the gasket faces and was more trouble than its worth.

The Miles 4-2-1 jobbie has been on the car for several thousands of miles now, and works a treat. No blowing, only on the 2-1 section (Y piece) under the car slighty, fixed with some gun-gum. It also gave a bit more in the mid-range too. This manifold is matched to a Maniflow system.

I must add that others on this forum have used the first two manifolds with little or no trouble whatsoever, maybe I was just unlucky. You do pay for the 4-2-1 manifold though, can't remember the price but over £200 rings a bell.

Dandu

... much thanks for your responses. It seems like the "maniflow"-systems are worth to investigate into. I already tried to get in contact with maniflow, but I'm still waiting for the answer.

@Miles: Can you give me some contact details of your mate (ex-employee of maniflow)? I feel pretty interested in talking about his version as well. Perhaps you can give me a price yet?

@Alan_M: At first hand I can tell some sad stories about the standard mi16 exhaust manifold combined with a reangled standard downpipe. It's definitely not a piece of cake. 2 nonfunctional downpipes in 2 years ... Therefore I'd like to aquire a better exhaust manifold (overriding the downpipe). I feel familiar with 4-2-1 and 4-1 exhaust manifolds. But what do you mean with a wedge?

Bye Dandu

Super Josh

Dandu, just buy a Manifold from Miles. It will give you the least trouble and will be the best price for that type of Manifold :)

Josh

Dandu

Oh, sorry Miles. If you (not your mate) are the one to talk to ... I'd like to ask you about: some photos, kind of material the exhaut manifold is made of, the availability, the prize and the shipping expenses.

Yours sincerely Dandu

Miles

Dandu, Yes I supply the manifolds but have now sold the last batch so with my manufacture being away for easter these won;t be around until Mid/Late April, Please drop me a PM and I'll answer any questions

DJ_ManuR6

I have a 309 gti16 one and its great, you will also need the 309 gti16 downpipe cause its different size from 205 gti or mi16.

I have one of this as spare cause it cost 800+vat on peugeot dealer but due to i´ve just get a pugspares one (i guess, its the one with the Y piece) the gti16v is no longer needed. I will put it on sale forum.

I´ve never tried the mi16 but im very happy with gti16 one from 2 years i´ve made the conversion, but i think the pugspares one (or similar) woud be the best if the pocket is not an issue.

cheers

GLPoomobile
Dandu, Yes I supply the manifolds but have now sold the last batch so with my manufacture being away for easter these won;t be around until Mid/Late April, Please drop me a PM and I'll answer any questions

Miles, for future reference (both for me and any other members searching this topic) can you tell us the current price for the manifold, and if it will mate relatively easy to, for example, the usual Group N systems? And can you install the manifold with the engine in the car?

Miles

I'll start another post in the group buy section when the next batch is made up, due to the steel prices at the moment it's hard to say, but budget on around £280.00.

As said the Magnex is the worst system and the std Phase 2 being the best, I doubt the Group 'N' is a good idea to use as the dia is too small from memory being 1 1/2"'s which is worse than std

GLPoomobile
I'll start another post in the group buy section when the next batch is made up, due to the steel prices at the moment it's hard to say, but budget on around £280.00.

As said the Magnex is the worst system and the std Phase 2 being the best, I doubt the Group 'N' is a good idea to use as the dia is too small from memory being 1 1/2"'s which is worse than std

Fair point about the N. I was actually thinking more along the lines of the DES system, which IIRC is 2" dia :rolleyes:

Dandu

.. it's a pleasure to read your comments. Much thanks again.

@DJ_ManuR6: I think, it's pretty worth to talk about your offer. Are you going to sell the manifold only? Or do you want the downpipe to be out of your garage as well? I'd like to purchase both. You've still not issued a thread in the "for sale"-section. I hope, it doesn't bother you, if I anticipate the question for the price. What do you expect someone to pay for both?

@Miles: Respecting the idea to handle business matters in a private atmosphere, I tend to send you a PM. If you don't object other people to get to know business details, I'd prefer to handle it publicly. In retrospect to the other posts it might be a good idea. But for now ... I've sent a PM.

Does anybody else have any experiences with these manifolds? Especially the question about the rest of the exhaust system (middle/rear) is keeping my mind busy. I'd prefer to apply the standard one. Good night!

Bye Dandu

DJ_ManuR6

I´ve posted it on somewhere (i swear it was on for sale forum, my apologies it it appears on other forum.)

Sorry but I will only sell the manifold. It has a little crack that have been welded and stiffened with a thin metal bar weld pointed next to it. It could be the prettiest way buy it works ok. You can find the gti16 downpipe on any dealer like "bosal" or similar. The price of the exhoust manifold is 90 pounds

I have the standard gti16 downpipe and center box and an aftermarket (a-spec) muffler. It sounds quite well and a bit loud when it revs, but i like it much more than when i used to have a straight tube from manifold to another backbox.

Cheers

Miles

Never seen a DES system so I can;t comment I'm afriad.

Dandu

Hi DJ_ManuR6,

I consider your offer as an option to deal with. But I'd like to take into account the usage of my standard middle and rear exhaust. Do you know the diameter of the 309 GTI 16 - downpipe? Is it nearly the same?

Cheers Dandu

Dandu

Hi DJ_ManuR6,

I'm still weighing my options. As far as I know, downpipe and middle exhaust are sold together. They can't be acquired seperately. Can you confim that? Does the standard middle exhaust (of a 309GTI16) fit properly? Or do I get in trouble installing it on my 205?

In general it's still important to me, to get to know the options for the rest of the exhaust system. Do I get the chance (is it useful) to reapply my old 205 standard middle and rear exhaust? Or do I have to buy another ones? Not focussing the 309GTI16 exhaust manifold only. But the one of maniflow as well.

Cheers Dandu

DJ_ManuR6

Hi dandu,

I confirm you that downpipe and midle exhaust comes together, you can fit it to 205 with little mods, you have to cut downpipe and get it shortened a bit cause it would hit the road sometimes if you dont. Im sorry i cant tell you how much you have to shorttened it cause i get mine on scrappy and it was a bit bended it so i cut it from the bend.

On the other side you also have to cut the final end as 309 is longer than 205.

Maybe it would be easier to cut the downpipe from the 309 one and weld it on the 205 one. I´ve done it on that way as I did not have a good middle exhaust on that moment.

Cheers

Dandu

Hi DJ_ManuR6,

I appreciate your attitude to respond so quickly. Much thanks. In the meantime I've made a decision, favouring the exhaust manifold sold by Miles.

But there is one question left nonetheless. Did you get in trouble installing the 309 GTi16V - exhaust manifold? I've heard, there might be some problems with the master cylinder.

Bye Dandu

B1ack_Mi16
But there is one question left nonetheless. Did you get in trouble installing the 309 GTi16V - exhaust manifold? I've heard, there might be some problems with the master cylinder.

No problems installing the GTi16v manifold on a LHD car, but on RHD cars it will foul the MC.

As you're from Germany the GTi16v unit would fit fine.

DJ_ManuR6

Yep, B1ack Mi16 is correct, as Im in Spain there is no problem appart from a very flexible arms for fitting the nuts due to so twisty branch!!

gti16v is quite good and looks amazing and the best option if you cant afford one of the others (miles, DES, or similar ones) but you have to be a bit lucky and a good quantity of pacienty to find one on secondhand.

Cheers

Dandu

Hey,

much thanks again. It has been a pleasure for me to discuss with you. Have a nice weekend.

Bye Dandu

Sign in to follow this