• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Discostu

Air Filter Help

Discostu

I have now routed my induction piping across the bay to where i want my filter. My question is this :

On the standard Xantia setup there is a breather pipe and some sort of filter (marked in yellow in the pic) what exactly does these do and will i need to include it in my setup?

induction.jpg

Also when it comes to choosing a filter does size matter? :)

And any advice regarding filter type - Cotton or foam?

Thanx, Stu

sonofsam

That will be an oil breather, but Im not entirely sure what that black plastic thing does inbetween the hoses, it

obviously serves a purpose for someting :)

I have kept it on my set up none the less, but have seen it used on other's but with

a small filter/breather on the end. ie not plumbed into the air filter piping.

At the end of the day, a filter is a filter, just try and use one that you can get to fit,

more importantly is that it gets some cold air :P

Pug_101

Don't pump it in, if your engine starts to use some oil it will be sucked into the air system and can cause detenation. Seal the hole on the manifold and buy a catch tank and use that.

Cheers

sonofsam
Don't pump it in, if your engine starts to use some oil it will be sucked into the air system and can cause detenation. Seal the hole on the manifold and buy a catch tank and use that.

Cheers

The oil breather hose comes of the oil filler tower, not the manifold, so I dont understand what you mean.

bales

I take it your are putting a take-off for the ICV on the inlet piping by the filter?

Discostu
I take it your are putting a take-off for the ICV on the inlet piping by the filter?

I thought the ICV was situated between intercooler and the throttle body? I was planning on plumbing it in theere somehow.

If it can be fitted off the air filter that would be much easier

sonofsam

The ICV feed comes from the 'hot' side of the boost pipe then goes onto the throttle body.

But you will need another take off on that air filter piping for the boost regulator solenoid, if you

intend to keep it that is.

pugrallye

the 'black plastic thing' is a vacuum diaphragm / regulation valve so crankcase fumes only circulates into inlet at high rpm, not on idle

Discostu
The ICV feed comes from the 'hot' side of the boost pipe then goes onto the throttle body.

But you will need another take off on that air filter piping for the boost regulator solenoid, if you

intend to keep it that is.

Ok so as i planned i need to plumb the ICV into the 'boosted' side of the pipework. If i'm using stand-alone management and plan to up the boost i wont need the regulator solenoid will i?

pugrallye

The ICV needs plumbing in to straddle your airflow metering, ie it bypasses it , wherever it is in your intake pipework, you will need it if you have no other way of idle regulation, ie stepper motors etc.

Edited by pugrallye

tom_m
The ICV needs plumbing in to straddle your airflow metering, ie it bypasses it , wherever it is in your intake pipework, you will need it if you have no other way of idle regulation, ie stepper motors etc.

no it doesn't the icv should bypass the throttle plate not the air flow metering (which incidentally isn't a problem in this engine becasue it has a map sensor not an airflow meter)

in a system with an air flow meter the idle control should still use metered air or the ecu won't know whats going on and it won't idle

pugrallye

yeah thats right, didnt explain properly, thought those turbo lumps had an afm in the thottle body thats all (heated wire)

Edited by pugrallye

tom_m
yeah thats right, didnt explain properly, thought those turbo lumps had an afm in the thottle body thats all (heated wire)

no, they have a throttle body heater for some reason, not a hot wire air flow meter. they use a map sensor and throttle pot.

pugrallye

yeah throttle heater is because when the marelli/solex throttle body first came out it used to freeze shut/open/anywhere in between in cold weather, creating wonderful situations and a vain attempt at preventing cold air/ fuel condensing on pipework

Edited by pugrallye

sonofsam
the 'black plastic thing' is a vacuum diaphragm / regulation valve so crankcase fumes only circulates into inlet at high rpm, not on idle

Had a feeling it was something like that. On the other pipe from the oil filler tower there is a one way

valve before it enters the throttle-body.

Ok so as i planned i need to plumb the ICV into the 'boosted' side of the pipework. If i'm using stand-alone management and plan to up the boost i wont need the regulator solenoid will i?

Its upto you really if you want to intergrate it into your system, but you will need some sort of boost control :)

bales

On my engine the ICV had a take off from just before the air-filter and then into the throttle body, is this wrong then??

pugrallye

no thats correct, as tom said it only needs to bypass the throttle butterfly

bales
no thats correct, as tom said it only needs to bypass the throttle butterfly

Right....ok so does that mean that my first comment was actually right :) and that the ICV doesn't go near the pressure side other than at the T/B?

pugrallye

yep

Discostu

Thanx for all the comments and help guys... but now i'm confused :) lol

Can i just confirm that it is ok to fit my ICV either side of the turbo? i.e. air filter side or pressurised side?

If that is the case it will be easier for me to just plumb it in from a t-piece where i will fit my filter :P

tom_m

Can i just confirm that it is ok to fit my ICV either side of the turbo? i.e. air filter side or pressurised side?

If that is the case it will be easier for me to just plumb it in from a t-piece where i will fit my filter :D

yup take one feed from the air filter, and put the other on the throttle body, job done :P

bales

If that is the case it will be easier for me to just plumb it in from a t-piece where i will fit my filter :D

Thats how mine was done :P

pugrallye

ICV fits from just after air filter and other connection is just after the throttle butterfly (should be a connection on throttle body for this)

Discostu

Sorted, thats gonna be much easier than i first planned :)

Cheers guys, i'l keep u updated

Mikey G
I thought the ICV was situated between intercooler and the throttle body? I was planning on plumbing it in theere somehow.

If it can be fitted off the air filter that would be much easier

Your ICV was fitted between the intercooler outlet and throttle body, remember we pulled the pipe off the other day??

My concerns of putting the inlet to the ICV on the non boosted side of the inlet would be that pressure would build up on one side of the valve only maybe causing a leak or the valve to wear prematurely due to this. As it is originaly fitted when the car is on boost pressure should be equal each side of the valve.

As for this silly filter/valve on the breather i dont know, maybe we should just try to plumb it into the air inlet circuit somehow, or i cant see it hurting if we leave it off or maybe find a filtered catch tank for it.

Sign in to follow this