• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
averyaaron1979

Current Project / Help And Advice Needed

averyaaron1979

i have tried to find as much ideas and advice over a track car that i am building and so far i am haveing no joy, unfortunately i am as mechanically minded as a im at working pc's... and that ain't much but so far i have seemed to be able to do some good. thanks to a friend who's a mechanic and a psooc member who has advised me so far..

if you read the follwing post i placed on 309 gti owners i would be greatful.

i am currently rebuilding a 309 gti ( which a fair of the regulars will know from old.) it's a h plated 1990 lazer green 3 door, previosuly owned by phil until last october when i bought it off him for a big project..

the 309 has undergone some drastic work so far and i have ideas for what i would love to do. problem i have is along the lines of i wish to track day it and also use for sprint/ hill climbs.

most of the 309's been stripped out and lightened as much as possible. i am hoping that by the summer she will be around the 800 kilos mark and this will be after i get the carbon bonnet, carbon tailgate ( one off made ) and the fibreglass front wings.. i am hoping i can get it between 800 to 850 but will accept that i may have to strip even more if i find out it's not so.

my biggest annoyance now is trying to sort the suspension and handling out... i have tried to research out about getting negative camber of approx 1.5 degrees but i am struggling so any advice would be gretfully recieved. i did band about figures before of dropping the 309 done about 100mm but this may have been a bit ott as i am thinking 60 mm may be better unless anyone can tell me otherwise. i have thought for the suspension that avo may be the next thing but not knowing much about them and that i can't find out much about them i was hoping that the regulars on the site could give me their opnions as to what they run and how good they are....

the car shall be set up with the grp a rear beam mounts, grp a and mounts elsewhere and either one of the poly bushes all round. i haven't worked out what spec rear and front arb/ torisions to use as there's not a great supply of them recently ( from what i am advised ) and trying to track the bits down is a headache.

the engine is still a bit of a problem as i started setting up ready for an mi with r1/gsxr 1000 carbs and lairy cam only to be told that may just put me in a higher class for sprinting etc and would mean i wouldn't stand a chance so this is being confirmed with the local club and hopefully an idea as to what engine will be run will be made... other than a torquey and reasonably powerful motor and a set up gearbox are my only requirements.

thanks for reading this and if you would like to see pics of the build ( although not up to date ) try www.greengenierallying.co.uk or www.freewebs.com/greengeinerallying.

thanks again and i look forwards to any repsonse that comes out of this thread. any ideas and tips would be helpful.

aaron

"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second."

Bobby Unser

averyaaron1979

the build so far, the whole cars has been stripped from original and all the sound deadening etc have been removed.

the dash has been stripped of all internals and has been cut in half leaving only the drivers half in place..

the seats have been binned in place of them will be a set of blue cobra monaco's when the custom brackets have been fitted and 4 point harnnesses will be fitted until suitable 6 point harnesses will be fitted.

an omp 8 point cage has been added to the 309 and there will be further additions to this to strengthen around the rear as a intenal fuel tank is to be placed in there.. safety is a must unfortunately. a further addition may be to link the front with the strut tops to stiffen the whole ride further..

all fuel/brake lines are in the process of being run through the inside of the 309 with further fire extinguisher to be fitted, coolant pipes and pas pipes as the resevoirs are seated in front of the passenger seat. this was to enable as much space in the engine bay incase of future engine swaps/additions.

there will also be items such as a lowered radiator, which is a alloy mi16 rad, oil cooler for engine oil, cooler for the gearbox ( after it will be ragged ) pas cooler ( as this will get abuse too ) coolant sirl pot, oil catch tank and breather brake fluid re-circulator. the idea was too ensure the engine and the rest of the kit last as long as possible as it will recieve punishment when ever it will be released..

new brakes are to be fitted, ie gti-6 front calipers and rear to be decided but most probably mi16 rears as a hydraulic handbrake is to be fitted.

the whole system will be run on dot 5.1 racing fluids. hopefully making the whole car fun to drive..

i am currently devising a seperate gearbox one for the track and another for sprinting as each will be be used differently. just searching for the final drive that's needed for them. but all will be revealed later.

the idea is to build a 309 that will have fun with on the track and show up some exspensive bits of kit and also have some good fun with on a sprint/hillclimbs races..

"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second."

Bobby Unser

smckeown

i've had 2 x 205s prepared for the track, you might have some ideas there. You certainly can get TBs/ARBs. AB motorsport sell them as well as a few forum members..get searching

Sean

Sandy

To get that much camber you need to move the bottom pivots out, or top mounts in, about 25mm.

averyaaron1979
To get that much camber you need to move the bottom pivots out, or top mounts in, about 25mm.

thanks for that i take it that's on the rear mounts you're refering to?? i have sorted the fact that i need to get the mounts i can't remember which exactly but it concentric / eccentric.

thanks for the advice i shall look into sorting that out.

aaron

averyaaron1979

sandy did i see a thread where you refered to using a xu10 engine over the original engine as it has more torque and was better of for sprinting/hillclimbing?? the only reason i ask as i am trying to establish if changing the original engine for say an mi would put me a class where i would not be competetive. ;)

otherwise i may as well drop the turbo 200sx lump we were offered at some point.. B)

averyaaron1979

sean thanks for the reply which i did miss ;) but thanks i have read you're threads loads and tried to use as much of your trial and error on my 309, but the only part i am dubious about was the removing of metal work from inside the car... i have dispensed with the door inards and did look at the rest but as i am running a bolt in cage i didn't wish to do that..

i shall go throught them all again and see if there's anything i missed that i can use..

any useful ideas / experience welcomed... any mad ideas will even be considered. B)

thanks

aaron

averyaaron1979

anyone have any good ideas on trying to improve the309 for sprinting as i have been informed by one the clubs we were looking at ( bristol pegasus ) stating that we would be in modified saloon class but would be running against anything upto 2600 cc as the class is from 1800 to 2600 cc.....

can't believe that. i shall have to work out what to run in that case as the 8v won't stand a chance and the mi16 wouldn't even get close...

i am going to finding out what other vehicles run in that class and to what degree they are tuned..

but help would be greatfully recieved as i am short of ideas other than a big 2ltr turbo lump if that fits within the class remit

acox99

Running Turbo's means they normally add 400cc to your engine so if your running a 2 litre they would put you in as the equivelent of a 2.4 na engine.

You could try an mi engine rebored, stroked or both i think u can get it to 2.2 that way and then turbo taking you up to 2.6 which could be pretty fast but i've never heard of it being done but anythings got to be worth a try! Try searching for the larger mi's i'm sure there's some advise there that maybe of help.

Good luck and keep us updated with what you decide to do

Alan

SPGTi

Replied in the corner weights thread for one possible engine, also would you be able to use the 1.8 16v engine out of a 306 ?

Just thinking that the lower engine size class would be a little easier to start in, as with less power it is easier to get used to driving "on the limit" than with a 300bhp monster.

Steve

averyaaron1979

thanks very much for the advice over the engines, very much appreciated..

i shall look at the 1800 16v then and start working more on the suspension and braking of the car..

does anyone know which model the 1800 16v came in? i take it would be a late xsi, but just to confirm that.

jackherer
does anyone know which model the 1800 16v came in? i take it would be a late xsi, but just to confirm that.

yes but you may well get a better deal on a citroen xantia 1.8 16v which has the same engine.

averyaaron1979

great i shall start the search for one of those then....

thanks for the helpful advice over this.

:)

Sign in to follow this