• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

1.6 Gti Brakes On An Xs

GazRallye

Has anyone fitted said brakes made by Bendix to an XS, and if so what hoses did you use as i am after some braided ones

I've been told there are only 3 pipes coming off the MC on a 1.6 gti and there appears to be 4 on my xs.

There is only 3 on a gti because the back ones go into a T piece, so will the front ones fit and back ones not?

Also is the Bendix the only caliper the 1.6 ever came with?

Jrod

Use the original XS lines.

The 1.6 and xs calipers are identical except the 1.6 has a wider pad thingy as it uses ventilated discs.

GazRallye

Well i went to fit my GTi pads and discs today, 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs and lo and behold they don't bloody fit! :)

I was pretty damn pissed off to say the least! The calpiers are as you said Jrod exactly the same but with a bigger pad carrier to accomodate the thicker discs, and look to fit fine but the discs are never gonna go on and hit the strut! As the vented discs are obviously thicker, the extra thickness seems to be on the inside part of the disc so when it sits on the hub fouls the strut considerably.

Now i don't know if the discs were falsley advertised as i bought them on ebay but they are genuine peugeot items, does anyone know the part numbers for either of the GTi discs as i don't understand as people claim to have done this upgrade before hassle free!

As my old discs and pads were shot at, luckily my mates sisters crashed 205 style was sat there waiting to be pillaged with some newer discs and pads, so i used those.

Anyone help a brother out and give me some answers?

Edited by GazRallye

28CRAIG

I used 1.9 calipers and disc's on my old xs they went on no problems.

Miles

Not sure on part numbe's the the 1.9 disc doesn't have a very big offset, I guess around 25mm compared to the 1.6 Disc which is a least double that, Can you post a pic of them?

GazRallye

What does offset mean exactly?

I can post some pics tomorrow of the discs but the car is all back together now as i need to use it, so i can't get a pic of the problem exactly

welshpug

distance from hub face to centreline of the disc IIRC, a 1.9 use a much smaller offset than the 1.6, hence the wider track of the 1.6.

the setup to use is 1.6 calipers with 1.9 discs as the offset is conveniently between 1.6 and 1.9 offsets I think, oddly enough it's what a friend said earlier when down the pub about fitting vented brakes onto an XS ;)

GazRallye

Well if so many people are adamant that it is perfectly possible, I must have the wrong discs, theres nothing else it could be.... ;)

Jrod

Yep guarentee it works.

GazRallye

Just looked on stuart mcguire and it would appear that the discs are indeed from a 1.6 and hence they wouldn't fit

The ones i bought from ebay advertised as 1.9 discs model number 4246 A6

- VENTILATED DISC EXCEPT XU9JA

what i need are 4246 A7

- VENTILATED DISC XU9JA

lesson learned everything is not what it may appear to be on ebay!

GazRallye

Another thing, are the struts the same on a 1.6 as the base models as the caliper fitament looked a bit tight against the wheel (1.6 gti rim)

welshpug

all struts are externally identical bar the ARB droplink tab.

Sign in to follow this