• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Which Headunit?

Bonzai

im thinking about treating myself to a new headunit when/if i get a bonus this year (read next week). Not knowing much about "ICE" i dont know what to plump for, im considering getting a usb port one, the ones on this page all look fairly priced http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/usb-player...e=2&sort=5d but, which one and why? :)

DrSarty

Benny my boy - 2 people I know you should consult are Paintguy and..........yours truly; both ICE gurus. We can of course chat on Xbox live.

I gather from your question, and this really is the way to go, that you want MP3 and possibly WMA compatibility? This also helps avoid any skipping whatsoever.

I've used a Pioneer DEH9400 (once £750) for many years so can speak from experience, in particular on storage. This unit only plays disks - but ONLY actually means around 200 MP3s on a disk!!! So even if you choose a unit that doesn't have access to several gigabytes of storage, you'll can still have a sun visor disk holder with 10disks in your car, giving 2000 tracks. A lot of music! On this basis, i.e. no upload capability to a built in HDD, more of your cash can be spent on a unit with better sound features such as more RCA outputs, perhaps a higher output built in amp if you need that, digital radio, a better (colour) screen and tools for tailoring the sound.

Alternatively I gather this USB port is not used to upload to an onboard HDD but simply to link an IPod or such. This seems an easy way to get your music in an out without messing around with disks or transferring any music, so it seems a cracking idea, if perhaps a little fiddly in the car having 2 electronic devices to fiddle with, a wire between the two and needing to secure the portable player somehow. Worth considering which route to take on this.

Having looked at your link, which I'm guessing refers specifically to the Eltax (WhoTF?) product, then it's a brand I don't recognize and frankly may be sh1te. It could be OK, but £55 for all that only reminds me of "you get what you pay for."

Ask a key question: will you have one or more external amplifiers? And go from there. Hunt on EGay mate for a recognised brand which seems to have similar features. I reckon you may pay £100 or £150, but the differences will be worth it and you'll only have to buy once.

Chat whenever.

Rich :wacko:

Edited by DrSarty

Bonzai

Rich,

many thanks for a reply, i thought i was never going to get any advice!

Firstly let me explain my current setup to you. I have an old Alpine tape deck with a 6cd changer under the passenger seat. I only have 2x little kenwood speakers in the front doors. I havent checked to see if there are speakers in the back, but if there are, they dont work.

97.5% of the time i listen to radio 1. I only deffer to CDs if (god help me) westwood is on or i cant tune in. Which is a problem for me. Whenever i stray out of the broudcasting boundary of a certain frequency, i cant tune in to that station again until i come to a complete stop. Things like this bug the crap out of me.

I believe USB is the way forward for me because i use my USB dongol a lot, it would be uber simple for me to plug in and play (assuming you can do this with, not needing an ipod or alternative mp3 playing device - as i have neither)

I also require a unit with a wireless remote because now i have bucket seats and 5 point harnesses, once strapped in, reaching the unit to make adjustments is nigh on impossible.

From the page i linked to above, i was considering the JVC KD-G632, my first ever cd player was a jvc and it was very good for what i asked from it.

I await your opinions ;)

Ben

jeremy

Hello

Now I used to have an Alpine CDA 7939R £700 which was their CD flagship some 10 plus years ago, the sound was 110%, but had no facility to add an MP3 player, then decided not to work :P:(

The next unit I had was a Kenwood KDC 8080R £400 This had more functions (inc an aux in using a convertor lead where you would normally connect a boot changer), better security, however was more fiddly to use and just did not have the clean softer sound of the Alpine. This too decided to give up the ghost due to a leaking heater matrix. :D:D

This then made me decided to go for a USB CD player, however I was on a budget this time of around £150 and wanted 4V pre-outs like my other two units, so opted for a JVC KDG 821 £139 inc the memory stick from the peolpe you have linked to (they offer free delivery to 205GTIDRIVERS). TBH I'm noy entirely happy. I will try to explain.

Firstly neither the Kenwood or JVC sounded any way near the quality of the Alpine, but to be fair the Alpine was a lot more money. So important lesson number one ultimately the thing you remember the most is the quality of sound as that was my first thoughts on what head unit should I choose.

Secondly make sure the unit is easy to use as my JVC does not recognise all my MP3 player files, however my MP3 player is a little odd at it has only used 5% of its built in hard drive and yet according to all sources it should be 95% full so maybe this it what is causing the problem, as such I will be converting the cd changer input to use as a stand aux input for my MP3 player. Also the JVC buttons are very small, there are a lot of sub menus that take alot of getting used to. Do not get me wrong the unit isn't crap, but it just isn't great!

So thirdly my best recommendation is to take your MP3 player and test as many units as you can, and buy the one you like the most as ultimately it will be you using it.

DrSarty

We're both wrong Jeremy; Ben (Bonzai) doesn't have an MP3 player/iPod jobbameejoog - just a USB memory stick.

Some research is needed me thinks, as firstly the USB port may be behind the face plate and leaving the stick in might be either impossible or inpractical (won't be able to read the display).

Need to establish if there is a unit which functions with a USB stick stuck in it, with a phone call to my friend who owns ICE Direct in Peterborough. It needs to have a remote, possibly a steering wheel one would be best for Ben (mine's currently mounted above the handbrake) which straight away should make it mid-range cost at least; we'll see.

I would STRONGLY advise you Ben - to really notice a difference in sound - to supplement your front speakers with some rears. Unless you're going to do some fabrication to improve the speaker mounting positions in the doors you should never expect too much from them, and certainly limited bass performance. Even some £35 JVC 6x9s in the rear shelf will make a massive difference including a bit of thump. :D

Later.....

Bonzai

cheers for more feedback, always appreciated.

To try and quickly answer everything, im not looking to spend over 150 to be honest. As said i dont have an MP3 player (i'd never use it) but i do have a memory stick.

Looking at a few of the usb units, they have a usb (and some also an SD) port on the front face so thats not a problem (aslong as the face comes off for security purposes)

Once again, i mostly listen to fm radio, so sound quality is only ever as good as the reception im in (unless i get DAB? hmmmm....) And my speakers dont really get a good workout, i only ever have it loud enough to hear over the exhaust and rattles. I dont feel the need for rear speakers, and i no longer have a parcel shelf, or much of a rear interior for that matter see pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/205...05/Image041.jpg

I really dont want a steering wheel mounted remote, im a very handsy driver, id end up making all sorts of alterations during a journey. A wireless remote should be fine, just something that i can quickly adjust volume, change source, stations or track etc. and keep it in the doorcard.

With regards usability of each unit, i think i may have to *shudder* go to halfords and play with what they've got in store.

Cheers gents!

DrSarty
i think i may have to *shudder* go to halfords and play with what they've got in store.

Good idea - but wear a disguise, and if asked....I don't know you :)

Bonzai

went to halfrauds today, they all look nice, but wasnt able to play with any of them due to tiny gaps in the perspex which my beefy fingers just aren't meant to fit in. I'm almost certainly going to go for a JVC KD-G731 as i just cant see any benefit in spending over £100.

My only slight concern is that, last i remember, the aeriel cable would only plug in on one side of the unit, wouldnt reach to the other and that could scupper my plans for radio if thats the case.

Would be intrested if anyone knows of cheaper places to get headunits?

GTI6BOY

Type in CAR AUDIO in the google bar and look on the first 6 shops, compare the prices and go for the cheapest, you proberly wont get cheaper than that.

Mose headunits now come with an arial hanging out the back about 100mm

Never buy from halfords

Dream Weaver

I bought mine from eBuyer for £78 or so.

Plays CD's/MP3 and also has a USB and SD card slot, so I have a 1gb SD card with plenty of albums on.

I don't really use it unless on the motorway as I prefer to listen to the TB's, but from what I've heard of it its pretty good :(

It was a H&B 5555 unit or something - http://www.hb-direct.com/EN/

James_m

Is there any makes better avoided, or even recommended? Its pretty baffling the amount of choice available B)

What do we think of this http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/blaupunkt-...p47-p-5757.html?

Btw, this is to power some kind of uprated door speakers, 6x9's on the parcel shelf through an amp of some description

And what is a rear mounted USB? You have to take the whole unit out every time you feel like changing some tracks? :D

In fact, what are the USB players like? quick to load? can you even scroll through different albums?

Did i mention im clueless when it comes to car audio? :P

Sorry for the hijack Bonzai

Bonzai

no worries James, some questions there i've been thinking myself too. The guy i spoke to in halfords said JVC are as good as the otehr bigger names in audio i.e. sony, alpine, pioner and aslong as i avoided cheap s*ite such as goodmans and teh other unheardof's it'll be fine. so my main real sticking point is the need for a IR remote where teh JVC units has all the other makes nailed

Sign in to follow this