• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jtek

89 Be1 Clutch Playing Up

jtek

Right, along with my injection issues, the other main problem with my car is the clutch. I have driven a friends 1.6 gti before i got mine and they tend to have fairly stiff clutches i have found. however, mine needs to go to the floor to get gears, and its stiff as hell. i changed the clutch cable yesterday and that is tightened right up to the limit, and although the car is finding gears fine, it is hard work. I most note at this point that yes the gear linkages are fairly worn, and the clutch bite is very low, with no slipping whatsoever. the possible issue i have seen is with the cable control arm and the clutch control arm. The connection pin seems to be at an odd angle, i am wandering if the cable arm is bent on the end, or if it has the wrong arm? heres a pic, sorry about the poor quality? could a new or longer pin make the difference?

205.jpg

jim21070

Sounds simply like your clutch is completely worn out :blink:

It is not, by any means a difficult nor expensive job to do. One of the easier ones in fact.

1.6 clutches should not be that heavy. I'm used to a very light hydraulic clutch in the Xantia but don't notice mine to be particularly heavy in the GTi.

jackherer

The clutch arms on earlier (BE1) gearboxes tend to fatigue and bend which would explain the funny angle yours is at and the other symptoms too. Later arms came with a reinforcement from the factory which was just a bar welded on.

jtek
The clutch arms on earlier (BE1) gearboxes tend to fatigue and bend which would explain the funny angle yours is at and the other symptoms too. Later arms came with a reinforcement from the factory which was just a bar welded on.

I had a feeling that could have been the problem, do you have any idea where i would find one of the newer clutch arms? thanks

jackherer

The uprated arm will be fitted to the last run of BE1 equipped Citroen BXs and 205s/309s/405s.

The best bet is to take your fatigued arm to someone that can weld, it will take 30 seconds to patch up and reinforce at least as well as the uprated Peugeot design!

Sign in to follow this