• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Who Uses A Snap Off Steering Wheel Boss

Anton green

I have been thinking about one of these for a while, but have not heard anything, good or bad about the snap off kits.. Have YOU?

I imagine they would bring the steering wheel about an inch closer to the driver, anything else?

GLPoomobile

Good question. I'm interested in opinions too as I've been thinking about getting one as well.

Also, noticed that one of the eBay sellers does a version that says it is only suitable for Raid steering wheels! Does Raid use a different bolt pattern to the typical Momo/Omp/Sparco etc wheels? (and I don't think it is the same as the Mountney fitment before anyone mentions it!)

paul wicks

Well its good for security, thats for sure. It does bring the steering wheel closer, by probably an inch, although i have never found it a problem. There is no play or wobble, my snap off kit was from demon tweeks, they only do one as far as i know fitted to a momo wheel. The steering wheels come in different sizes (diametres) so you may want t try before you buy.

Anton green

Thats good news then.

My boss is a momo and my wheel is omp so I'll be compatible

Baz

The raid ones are the original 'Snap off' design, have 12 holes for the 2 types of fitment. Mine had a bit of play in it, didn't like it.

The ones named 'D1' or 'Rage' ones are far superior design IMO.

Anton green

will look into these before I buy

Rally Slag

i just bought a kit for my 309 goodwood, since it has a momo steering wheel from factory, got the kit from rally design, they do ones for all different types of steering wheels. I got it mainly for security, when i do mine im gona measure it all up and chop a lump of the steering column then weld the boss in place simply because i want the steering wheel to stay in the same place as it originaly is. They shouldnt have any play in them at all, they are usualy very well made and complelty legal to have on a road car. might get a few look when you walk round your local town centre holding a steering wheel in ur hand though lol

Baz

Is that the 'Snap Off/Raid' one then Rally Slag? There isn't loads of play, but a little if held at 12 and 6 o clock, enough to annoy me anyway. The other type, ball bearing fitment are fixed alot better, a little harder to remove and not key lockable, but feel so much better.

Rally Slag
Is that the 'Snap Off/Raid' one then Rally Slag? There isn't loads of play, but a little if held at 12 and 6 o clock, enough to annoy me anyway. The other type, ball bearing fitment are fixed alot better, a little harder to remove and not key lockable, but feel so much better.

nah m8, its a proper ball bearing one, got it from rally design, cant remember the part number, was about £65 inc P&P and VAT, is a nice tight fitment aswell, feels really good

GLPoomobile
nah m8, its a proper ball bearing one, got it from rally design, cant remember the part number, was about £65 inc P&P and VAT, is a nice tight fitment aswell, feels really good

Rally Slag, is this one of those weld on jobs? Or is it a typical bolt on to an Omp/Sparco/Momo boss kind of thing, like Snap Off etc?

Rally Slag

yeah m8 thats the one, steering wheel bolts straight to it then the adapotor welds on to the column, personaly i think thats the best way to do it

Dj_mini
yeah m8 thats the one, steering wheel bolts straight to it then the adapotor welds on to the column, personaly i think thats the best way to do it

Do you have any pics of it installed? As im not sure how you would center in on the steering shaft and get it in the right place?

Rally Slag

I havent done mine yet, going to do it in may when i have a week of work, basicly you need to find someone with a lathe, that way they can spin the column up with a tak weld with the new adaptor on it and when its spinning fast you will see if its straight or not and just move it until its in the correct place then weld it on properly. Im doing all the measuring for mine and cutting by i dont have access to a laths but work next to someone that does and he said he will charge £25 to spin it up and weld it on properly. He does build race cars for a living so i no it wil be a good job. Will get some in detail pics once its all done. :lol:

Baz

That's a PITA if u ask me, (IMO) and no better than the ball bearing fit ones.

James_R

I use a Rage boss on my car, and it's great, makes getting in and out with the cage much easier and also broght the wheel closer to me for a better position.

cyman

the SPA q/r steering coupling is worth a thought.

GLPoomobile
I use a Rage boss on my car, and it's great, makes getting in and out with the cage much easier and also broght the wheel closer to me for a better position.

So would you recommend it then? Is is free from any unwanted play and well made etc? How long have you had it for?

I only ask as I've seen these on eBay and thought they might be a bit cheap (although I don't really want to spend more than £60 anyway :P ).

Would you say it is totally safe, i.e not likely to suddenly pull off the column if you hit a bad bump :D ?

pug_life

we fitted weld on adaptors to the mr2 race cars ad they are very useful but not practical in fitting as you have to remove the whole column shaft...

Bonzai

ive got a rage one too from ebay and its very good, no play whatsoever, you wouldnt even know it came apart. Have to watch out when you do take it off though, first time i did it, i almost gave myself concussion :D

Anton green

lol

I take it you all use 6 hole steering wheel bosses where the wheel normally attaches to?

When I originally asked one of the ebay guys about a snap off boss, I was told I would need to remove my momo boss and use a different type??? No idea what thats all about.

Dream Weaver

I've had one of the Raid ones fitted for over 3 years now, paid about £95 I think, from rallynuts.com

Its excellent, and only showing small signs of wear where the wheel comes on and off. No play in the wheel so far, and it does sit about 1 inch closer to me - this is good as it gives me more leg room than std, but it moves the stalks away from you, so I often miss the stalks when going to indicate or turn the wipers on. :P

I hated it at first, but when you get used to it, tt does make the steering much better IMO, closer to you so turn in is improved. The security aspect is good as well.

Its also good for working under the dash area, doing wiring etc, plus it helps me get in/out when the car is in my narrow garage :D

PS - Nice Moving Shadow avatar btw, recently sold all my MS tunes on eBay. :ph34r:

tom_m

the first 'snap-off' i got claimed to be for a momo wheel, but wouldn't bolt to my momo hub for love nor money, i chopped it in for a d1 drift spec (aka rage style) and its mint :D

Edited by tom_m

GLPoomobile
I've had one of the Raid ones fitted for over 3 years now, paid about £95 I think, from rallynuts.com

Its excellent, and only showing small signs of wear where the wheel comes on and off. No play in the wheel so far, and it does sit about 1 inch closer to me - this is good as it gives me more leg room than std, but it moves the stalks away from you, so I often miss the stalks when going to indicate or turn the wipers on. :ph34r:

I hated it at first, but when you get used to it, tt does make the steering much better IMO, closer to you so turn in is improved. The security aspect is good as well.

Its also good for working under the dash area, doing wiring etc, plus it helps me get in/out when the car is in my narrow garage :D

PS - Nice Moving Shadow avatar btw, recently sold all my MS tunes on eBay. :D

You use a Momo wheel don't you? What is it by the way as I was looking at your pictures the other day and thought it looked really good :P Is it a Momo Corse?

Anyway, the point I was getting at is that you have a Raid boos with <possibly> a Momo wheel, but the ones I have seen on eBay say you have to use a Raid wheel. I did look at the pics and the bolt pattern looked a bit off, which would back this claim up, but difficult to tell. Are they just saying this so people will be fooled in to buying their s'wheels?

Sign in to follow this