• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

Seeing Overboost.

sonofsam

On occasions Im seeing overboost, gauge reading .7bar, not the usual 5.

Smells really rich too when she's at it, lol

So does this mean that when the ECU senses everyting's tiki ti bo , it gives overboost?

veloce200

So does this mean that when the ECU senses everyting's tiki ti bo , it gives overboost?

I expect the ECU has all sorts of "events" programmed into it! A difficult one to comment on that.

inferno

consider an external wastegate setup :)

a 0.5 bar spring can easyly be adjusted upto 1bar, and more with a reg valve. less creep than with an internal too.

speaking from reading up mind, my cars not ready yet to confirm!

tom_m

is it random or only on WOT?

what do you make of this?

overboost_on_2.jpg

would explain why people who adjust the wastegate tension have problems with the boost limit, if the engine is already over boosting and then the ecu tries to overboost it some more and hits it's boost cut limit!

Edited by tom_m

sonofsam

Yeah it's only on WOT and when the cabin stinks of petrol!

Interesting, can only just make it out though. Will try translate later.

sonofsam

overboost_on_2.jpg

Not had any luck translating it :) Anyone want to have a crack?

tom_m

well if babel fish is worth its salt it says something like:

boost pressure: 0.3bar @ 3000rpm on vaucuum (partial throttle?)

0.65bar @4500rpm on vacuum

0.9 bar @ 300orpm on full (throttle?)

pressure of the regulator valve 1 bar (boost cut?)

displacement of the regulator valve 3mm(?)

but you know what id swear the first line mentions a charge cooler, and i've only just noticed that. i'll have a bash at that later. i'm off home now -_-

Edited by tom_m

TEKNOPUG

Maybe your car has stolen MY boost?

sonofsam

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. So in short, yes my car has got your boost.

Do I have to give it back though -_-

Or maybe we both have sticky wastegates?!

inferno

enjoy it while u can... mines going to be steeling all your boost this weekend and using it to suck small children and pets up off the street... -_-

bales

(supercharged xu10j2cte)

Supercharged by a turbocharger with ...... the application of an air to water heat exchanger

Manufacturer / model : Garrett T025

Supercharging pressures: 0.3 bar @ 3000rpm on part throttle

0.65 bar @ 4500rpm on part throttle

0.9 bar @ 3000rpm on full throttle

Command (max) pressure of actuator : 1 bar

Total travel of actuator rod : 3mm

bales

But if that was the case then wouldnt you see the boost gauge move to 0.9 bar at 3000rpm then drop back down at higher revs.

Also why would it be running 10psi on part throttle?, I wouldnt have thought there would be enough load on the engine to actually generate much boost on part throttle?

Doesnt really make that much sense to me.

sonofsam

God this engine is such an enigma! :blink:

Only time I saw 0.9bar was when the boost solenoid broke(or was it)?

Just been having a little read up on www.turbodynamics.co.uk. It wont let me copy and paste,

but there is a part on the actuator page at the bottom, that states: That many turbo cars

that run a solenoid boost controller have paremeters in the ECU to not activate the solenoid

till the engine is upto running temperature,,. interesting as I *think* I have experienced that too.

So if it can do that, then surely overboost is possible, but google throws up nothing, only OB on T16 and derv

models and I think the T16 is high/low boost anyway?

jim21070
Also why would it be running 10psi on part throttle?, I wouldnt have thought there would be enough load on the engine to actually generate much boost on part throttle?

Doesnt really make that much sense to me.

I can run with it (I think :blink: ) The turbo is very small (Small A/R ratio) and thus will spool up with not that much exhaust velocity. These engines move mountains of air through them and so I can see them generating 10psi at 3000 RPM no problem at all. In fact at this point I reckon the turbo will be running practically smack-bang in the middle of its "Efficiency Island"

PSA engineered this engine as a Constant Torque (CT), optimised for grunt in the low and mid-range. The turbo looks to be perfectly sized for this.

I may be talking total rubbish though, just my theory :blush:

EDIT: This reminds me of the "Modulated Boost" on the old Turbo Metro. maybe much the same kind of thing but in reverse. On the Metro, it was to keep torque down to a level the gearbox could safely handle. PSA may be using the same approach to up the torque at certain points in the curve.

Edited by jim21070

sonofsam

Yep there is definately some modulation going on in it!

Tested my car this morning, quite cold at 7.30am , would not boost at all, gauge reading 0

go it a little warmer, starting seeing 0.3, upto temperature got the full 0.5, then once she was good and

ready saw 0.7 :blink: also it doesnt always give full boost in lower gears, probably to help out on wheelspin issues..

This may expalin why alot of people used to think there boost valves were broken when they first jumped

in their cars on a cold morning?!

You got any plans to fit a boost gauge Jim?

jim21070
You got any plans to fit a boost gauge Jim?

Yes indeed and very soon too, along with a dump valve :blink:

Henry Yorke
also it doesnt always give full boost in lower gears, probably to help out on wheelspin issues..

The Vauxhall 2.0 Turbo engine restricted full boost in first for wheelspin issues.

Mine overboosts to about 0.7 bar and then drops down to 0.5 according to the boost gauge

Sign in to follow this