• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stephen oldknow

Door Pins

Guest stephen oldknow

Does anybody no how to replace door pins. Steve

Robbie G

There are two types, so first thing is to make sure you have it. One type has a torx head screw type (thats what mine has) and the other one just hammers in i think, cant quite remember but mr puggey almost sold me the wrong type, no surprise there.

Anyway, they are very cheap and the difference was huge. I also replaced the tiny little pins above and below the door pins connecting the door staggering mechanism to the car with that rod thingy. This stopped the door clicking when it opened.

First I soaked the area in WD40 and left it for an hour. So you open the door all the way, make sure you have a wrench and a decent correctly sized torx bit if it's that type, and just unscrew the pins and pop em out. The small pins just hammer out. Use a jack and something soft to lift and protect the door (obviously with no pins you'll have to support the door) and hammer in then screw the new pins.

205man

okay i bought some new torx type door pins ive swapped the top one no problem but the bottom one just turns so thread is knackered any tips on how i should get it out would prefer not to have to take the door off

Robbie G

Yeah this happened to me too. You have to exert pressure on the pin end (with something like a hammer and then the old door pin when it sinks below flush) from one side whilst you are unscrewing it at the same time. Also my post was slightly wrong, there's only one small pin and two large door pins obviously.

Edited by Robbie G

205man

okay ive managed to get the pin out the thread had gone but the pin had also broke where it enters the bottom half of the hinge.

i had to take the door off by undoing the the plates on the door then i had to cut the top of the torx head off and slowly drill out the rest of the pin as it had siezed over time, it must have been broke for ages, and it was a bastard to drill as you cant get in directly above the hinge due to the top hinge and you cant dril from below due to the sill.

but now ive done it the door sits much betterand when you shut it, it doesnt slam into the catch it just shuts perfect.

but never again (i hope)

alan

Guest dean0

Sorry to hijack a bit but can you buy the pins separately from the hinge that bolts onto the door? My doors are clunking when I accel\brake. Went to the dealer today to get some pins (the Torx type) and they said it only came as a whole hinge unit for over a tenner each.

205man

yeah you can buy just the torx pins thats what i did they were less than £2 for the pair with the vat so go back and tell hes talking out of his arse

i think i can give you the part number if you want ill see if its on the reciept

Guest dean0

Cheers 205man, I went to the dealer in my uni town and they knew what I was talking about straight away.

Sign in to follow this