• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Zx 1.6i

steve@cornwall

I've been offered a cheap zx 1.6i. Anyone know how suitable the engine is as a sraight fit into the 1.6 gti?

From what I remember, it has a single point carb type injection, so I was wondering if the head was suitable for the gti injection system or if the "cut out" for the injector was absent?

jim21070

I think, Steve, yes, the inlet manifold and head is too different to take the stock GTi injection without a lot of mods.

I believe also the pistons are different. However having said that, it shoud drop in and be an ideal candidate for carbs or Throttle Bodies with Megasquirt :D

It likely won't be too bad if you retain the stock monopoint injection if the price is right and the engine is otherwise in good nick. They only run to about 80 BHP if I remember correctly. This'll be a very similar engine that was used in the 205 Auto.

steve@cornwall
I think, Steve, yes, the inlet manifold and head is too different to take the stock GTi injection without a lot of mods.

I believe also the pistons are different. However having said that, it shoud drop in and be an ideal candidate for carbs or Throttle Bodies with Megasquirt :D

It likely won't be too bad if you retain the stock monopoint injection if the price is right and the engine is otherwise in good nick. They only run to about 80 BHP if I remember correctly. This'll be a very similar engine that was used in the 205 Auto.

cheers for that, Jim, seemed like a good buy as it's only done a couple of thousand miles on a new clutch and is a nice quiet engine- for scrap money- changing inj. systems is a bit too much hassle, just to save the hassle of valve stem seals. Changing engines is just right for my all brawn and no brain method of choice :D

Seeing as I also have the "too many ideas and not enough space and time" problems, I think I'll pass on this and either do the seals using Veero's guide, or put on a known good head!

Edited by steve@cornwall

Sign in to follow this