• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrwn8304

An Odd One

Andrwn8304

For a while the steering would shake when I'm going round 60 - 70 mph, putting this down to wheel balancing and after gettin some Pirelli tyres fitted and replacing the existing locking wheel nuts with some new ones the steering wheel still shakes at the same speeds could this be down to the smaller locking wheel nut knocking the balance out again?

Any suggestions?

Richie-Van-GTi

doubtful but easy to check, just swap the lock nut with a standard from the rears.

have you checked tracking, driveshafts, suspension compenents, track rod ends, ball joints etc etc.

Andrwn8304

Yeah I replaced the shocks last year, lower track control arms replaced, Track rods replaced and 1 new tied rod, tracking was was set when the tied rod and track rods were replaced.

DrSarty

I had similar, and I found that I was concentrating too much on the front end! A quick wheel balance on the rear sorted it out.

Just a thought.

DrS :D

Grim.Badger

I tried to run with 3x 1.6 wheel bolts (long head) and 1x 1.9 locking wheel bolt (short head) a while back and got quite severe vibration, so yes it could be the locking wheel nut.

Sign in to follow this