• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richard

Big Earth Problem.....

richard

ABS has been removed, and everything else is working. its about the best this car has been since i got it (then again it should be with the money i've thrown at it recently) apart from the n/s indicators and the hazard lights.

On the stalk i have lights, dipped and full, driving lights work, o/s indicator. the other stalk all the washers wipers etc all working.

Hazard lights are dead.

n/s there are no lights, either on the dash or the externals. It does click, but pauses briefly before clicking like mad. Ive cleaned up the earth on the n/s wing which was a little corroded but wasnt a problem before.

Im stuck now. Its either a earth or a short, which i dont know.

Anyway got any ideas?

richard

Tried another relay that is know to be working (off the 1.6) and its still the same.

Miles

Silly point but once I've had a fuse box fail after changing the engine, odd thing was it was never even touched or moved so no idea why it did it, swaped it over and everything was back to normal,

I know on the 306's the relay bases tend to over heat causing a bad connection, but never seen this on a 205 yet.

Alastairh

Yeah, thinking maybe in the fuse box area of damaged/knocked wires? You would of had to pull the abs loom out and past this area wouldn't you?

Alastair

richard

A further update on this.

Removed headlight and unplugged yellow multiblocs. I now have indicators. When i reattach the lighting one i still have indicators

when i attach the other one (3wires) it then goes back to no indicator mode. I also now have a very dim headlight. (about the same as sidelight) and no driving light.

Its something to do with the front end wiring of the car......just which part im not sure.

I assume that rules out the fuseboard, as i have everything working when unplug/replug different bits in

TEKNOPUG

With electrics its unfortunately a case of trial and error to try and establish the problem by means of elimination. If you have the means, I would try rewiring the lights starting from as far back in the loom as you can and using a different earth point. You just need to use the relevant grade wire and some suitable connectors. Unless you have a suitable multimeter to test all the wires/circuits.

pugrallye

sounds like you have high resistance in the earthing point, have you unbolted the earth point at all and cleaned the terminals? as they have a tendancy to gunk up (not just the multiplug)

Grim.Badger

Try a plugging the working healight in instead as the headlight unit itself may be at fault, I've had a faulty indicator unit that looked abolutely fine.

richard

right...this afternoon i took it to jackherers as i was stumped.

To summarise.

Took off all light clusters, measured resistance and voltages. We've found a oddity which is a man made short but not enough to blow a fuse. Anyway between the cars (as well as the 1.6) we have changed;

hazard switch

indicator stalk

relay

Chopped the earth connections on the front post, re-seated. still the same. eventually we found a rogue cable that was connected but was a short (i think) on the side light.

Anyway, the situation is now this.

I have all lights working, including indicators on the left hand side. What i do not have are hazard lights.

If i push the hazards in, the indicators stop working. If i release the hazards then i have indicators again.

Im now stumped on this one. Im pretty sure Jackherer will fill in any details ive missed out.

jackherer
Im pretty sure Jackherer will fill in any details ive missed out.

Theres nothing to add so I'll just summarise your summary :D

There were some bodged up wires and bad earths by the nearside headlight and we fixed those, all the lights now work except the hazard warning lights and its not the hazards switch thats broken, it worked fine in my car and my switch doesn't work in Richards.

TEKNOPUG

Have you checked all the wiring behind the switch facia that houses the hazards/fogs/demister etc? Everything is pretty tight behind there and the wires are squashed and bent to fit. Over time the insulation may have split on one of the wires causing a short. Ive had this on both my clock (where it would short over a bump and reset and then be fixed with a Fonzy style tap) and also with my hazards/boost buttons.

Sign in to follow this