• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

Xs Carb

Marlon

Hello, Its been a while since I've been on this forum, I have now brought myself a GT for rallying purposes, planing on doing a polybush overhall of the front suspension over the summer ready for next season.

In the mean time, I have recently had to change the carb as the last one was leaking fuel into the 2nd barrel. The new one has been fine up untill last week when it seems the main jet has been blocked and so you need to floor it to stop it dying, idles fine though.

I've ordered some carb cleaner, and if that doesn't work will have to strip it. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any 'better' direct replacements, a friend seems to think a webber 32/36 will do the trick, but I'm unsure of the fitment.

Also, sorry for this - I know its technically in the wrong forum but saves me from starting two topics, is there any vented disc setup that fits under the 13" wheels? Been hunting around the forum and it seems 14s do the trick, but I don't want to comprimise handling on rough lanes as thats where the car is going to be mainly.

swordfish210

i had this problem with my old solex carb once and for some reason i when i pulled the choke on it cleared the blockage and it was fine ever since. The weber 32/36 is easy enough to fit but requires some braketry to be made up to house the throttle linkage (i can send you some pics if you want) I'm not sure about the discs though

stu_woac

im sure if you go and get calipers off a 306 d or td they will fit under a 13" and they do vented for thoses I know the 306 d came with 13" wheels off the forecourt and It seems to be the same part number for new brakes disc as the td from gsf so hope that helps

p.s. I run td 247mm brakes on the track toy and they brake the car very well (well when I use them I seem to change down abit to much at the mo )

TKH

There is a school of thought that says the standard Solex is actually better utilised the little TU than the DGAS. If you talk to some very good tuners such as the Bogg brothers for example they will happy set the Solex up to tun on cars with just over 120bhp and still perform relatively well lower down the rev range. Anything more than that and your really looking at duel IDFs or similar.

Agree with stu, 13" wheels work well with the 247mm brakes with the power your talking. If your doing longer racers just get some harder pads and duct cold air to them if need be. I have AP 4 pots though but really there over kill and only clear a few types of 13" wheels.

stu_woac

mine are fine but are ducted forgot to mention that bit lol

I love the solex carb its brillant to play around with but most are old and need a good service to run right and a retune like you say, they are just like webbers need retuning in from time to time, aaaahhhh Idf , dcoe are the way to go plently of room for them in a 205 LOL including 100mm trumpets ( opps a secret out DOH)

Sandy

1.9 GTi brakes fit under the 12 hole 13's with a small amount of grinding on the outer edge.

Marlon

great thanx, I will look into getting some 306TD calipers and disks, carb wise I do like the current one, so I'll spray some cleaner down its neck and see how it goes from there.

another question, are the rear drums off a 1.6 any different (larger) than the ones on the lower models, as the handbrake is fairly important for getting round those hairpins.

Edited by Marlon

TKH

So true stu, I keep forgetting you have a lot more space for DCOEs in the 205. I pootle round the track in a Ax lol.

stu_woac

I believe they are slightly different if you ajust the handbrake right or go for hydralic you should be fine do you know Ti motersport???

if not they would be a worthwhile knowing

Edited by stu_woac

Marlon

yea, thats where I'm planning to get bushes from, they seem fairly good value.

I reckon new dampers, polybushes, tyres, and the car will be a contender for next season with any luck.

May have found myself some 306 td calipers aswell, (was quite quick) - do they bolt straight on?

stu_woac

yes you will need the shorter bolts for the 306 to fit them cheap from pug them selfs or a trip to the scrappy

Marlon

Hello, the carb issues are still on-going.

was wondering, do 205s have fuel filters? as I cant see one in the engine bay, so it means either its in the carb or in the tank, or it doesn't have one which would explain quite alot.

Edited by Marlon

swordfish210

yeah it should have a fuel filter, mines mounted about 8 inches down the fuel line from the fuel pump (so it's tank-filter-fuel pump)

Jrod

ditto^

There is also a small filter in the carb.

Marlon

Hello all,

after much faffing about we have traced the problem to the vacuum advance unit on the side of the dizzy. These are aparently hard to come buy - have had one on order from france for about a month now and am fed up of waiting... as my post count is not high enough to permit me to post in the wanted section I thought I'd try my luck and ask in here if any of you XS or GT owners have a spare vacuum unit wanting a new home?

Marlon

Marlon

anybody know if this would be ok as a replacement?

Ebay clicky

Jrod

I've got one that came off a running car and has been sat in my garage for a few months?

Marlon

cool, what would your price be for said item?

Jrod

Don't really want anything for it to be honest.

£5 posted probably, Will whip it off tomorrow and let you know.

Edited by Jrod

Marlon

ok cheers, lets hope this fixes the problem :lol:

Marlon

Heya guys and maybe girls,

I have been through 2 vacuum units, each of them arrived with no back pressure. Tried my luck with getting a new gti one but turns out the linkage is different.

So I'm still having issues at the moment, I was wondering if a 1.6 GTI distributor would fit on the TU engine?

djinuk

what does the vacum unit do and how do you know if yours is not working /

Marlon

it advances the timing with the revs so the mixture ignites at the correct time to give maximum power. My engine trouble when its hot and has no power and wont rev beyond 5k. First thought it was the carb but a m8 sucked on this tube and didnt have any back pressure. I'm not sure if it is the whole problem but it can't help things.

RossD

I don't quite understand when you say it had no "backpressure"... You shouldnt be able to suck air through that tube if it is working properly. The capsule contains a diapraghm. Anyway, the vacuum advance will have no bearing on the timing when the throttle is open, it simply advances the timing when the throttle is not fully open or closed and revs are high.... The centrifugal advance inside the distributor advances the timing with engine speed in a controlled manor.

Edited by RossD

Marlon
I don't quite understand when you say it had no "backpressure"... You shouldnt be able to suck air through that tube if it is working properly. The capsule contains a diapraghm. Anyway, the vacuum advance will have no bearing on the timing when the throttle is open, it simply advances the timing when the throttle is not fully open or closed and revs are high.... The centrifugal advance inside the distributor advances the timing with engine speed in a controlled manor.

yea, by back pressure I mean that when you suck you can't suck air through it. I know its probably not the correct term.

The solex carb also has a electrical wire going to it, and a m8 think thats the control to the idle valve and it may be sticking, is this correct and if so which thing is it referencing to determin whether to engage it?

Sign in to follow this