• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest skydivepaul

205 Mi16 Misfire

Guest skydivepaul

went out to a trackday at croft today and after about 6 laps developed a bad misfire.

changed the plug, changed the plug lead and also stripped down the carb (dellorto 48) but all to no avail.

i came away with the car still misfiring and an expensive 6 laps

could someone please confirm the floowing for me

i have a MI16 engine, running distributor and points, twin 48 dellortos.

It had been running o.k. about a month ago at the last trackday. i have changed the plug leads for new ones recently. i might have mixed them up but i am sure i didnt

what is the firing order is it 1-3-4-2

is number 1 cylinder nearest the distributor

does the ditributor run anti clockwise when looking at it from the end.

when you are stood at the front of the engine is the nearest plug lead on the distributor number 2

many thanks

Paul

DrSarty

When I saw this I thought 'poorly performing injector', which of course you don't have. When you mention the leads I've always found this diagram most useful:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...post&id=372

If you mean it's running on 3 and you've checked plugs & leads, I would only suspect a valve or possibly the head gasket(?). As I've learned you either have a spark on all 4, be it strong or weak, or you have no spark at all.

I feel for you dude but it's usually something quite simple. Get that compression tester out to eliminate the worst option, then it should just get easier.

Good luck

Rich -DrS :angry:

Guest skydivepaul

Thanks for the diagram Rich.

my leads are exactly the reverse of them

I have the same leads numbered at the dizzy end but i have cylinder number 1 marked up at the dizzy end as well, not like in the diagram.

i have changed the leads around to the configuration in the post but it wont start at all like that.

need to try something else

cheers

Paul

When I saw this I thought 'poorly performing injector', which of course you don't have. When you mention the leads I've always found this diagram most useful:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...post&id=372

If you mean it's running on 3 and you've checked plugs & leads, I would only suspect a valve or possibly the head gasket(?). As I've learned you either have a spark on all 4, be it strong or weak, or you have no spark at all.

I feel for you dude but it's usually something quite simple. Get that compression tester out to eliminate the worst option, then it should just get easier.

Good luck

Rich -DrS :angry:

Guest skydivepaul

By the way my distributor doesnt look like the one in the link you posted.

It looks like an old fashioned type with point and vacuum advance that has been modified to fit the engine

it has had an extension piece made up to make it fit to the engine, this is basically a 2" peice of aluminium sandwiched between the engine and the distributor.

any ideas??

Ren

That'll be an 8v dizzy then, not sure on order of the leads though, sorry. A search should reveal what you need.

Ren.

Guest skydivepaul
That'll be an 8v dizzy then, not sure on order of the leads though, sorry. A search should reveal what you need.

Ren.

yep it is an 8v dizzy. with help from the haynes manual and this forum i am making some headway.

i am going to change the dizzy cap and rotor arm for new ones tomorrow.

i will post an update when i have fitted them

cheers

Paul

Guest skydivepaul

getting somewhere with this.

it has been at the garage for a fix and rolling road tune.

we have found:

the screw and locknut had come off the venturi holder for dellorto carb that feed no2 cylinder.

this means the veturi holder can spin around in the choke and fuel delivery to that cylinder was erratic.

fantastic i thought but we then found a second fault, basically the engine loses power / the ignition breaks down when revved over 6K or 5K when under load on the rollers

We have changed the coil but this is o.k.

i have ordered an ignition module for tomorrow but it maybe the distributor itself.

does anyone know a good place to buy a 1.9 8V dizzy at short notice?

I will post this in the wanted section as well

cheers

Paul

yep it is an 8v dizzy. with help from the haynes manual and this forum i am making some headway.

i am going to change the dizzy cap and rotor arm for new ones tomorrow.

i will post an update when i have fitted them

cheers

Paul

DrSarty
this means the veturi holder can spin around in the choke and fuel delivery to that cylinder was erratic.

This agrees with what I said earlier about a fuelling fault being the cause. Yours is/was a carb; mine was an injector.

Eliminate the issues one by one....then there'll be none = ;):wacko::ph34r::D:)

EDIT: I'm not a moderator, but it would help us if you typed after the quotes you use and not before like mine in comparison to yours; then we have a reference.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

Guest skydivepaul

Thanks Rich.

do you know the best place to buy a 1.9 8v dizzy?

might not need it yet but I need a back up plan as I am supposed to be competing in the pug at harewood hillclimb this Sunday!!!

failing that does anyone want to lend me their car for the weekend, I promise I'll look after it well ;):wacko::):ph34r:

DrSarty
do you know the best place to buy a 1.9 8v dizzy?

What constitutes best? Most GSF parts are OK but almost any motor factor should have an 8v GTi cap on the shelf; at least they used to when they weren't all computerised and........s*it!

And a spare's a good idea for the £15-20 it'll cost.

Guest skydivepaul

I have a spare cap and rotor arm, I am looking for a complete dizzy.

after a quick trawl around the this site and on the net they dont seem to be available in abundance.

The ones I have seen for sale are around the £150+ mark

Paul

jim205GTI

Hey dude i think i got one you could have...... i'll have a look in my box of tricks in the garage and let you know......... has been of the car for a while as i have changed the managment over but was working when last fitted :)

kyepan

you could check that the vacume advance diaphram has not failed, its rather common.

pug_ham

The cap in teh picture Rich linked to is the proper Mi16 one when its running the standard Mi managment system.

you could check that the vacume advance diaphram has not failed, its rather common.

Didn't think the vacumm advance capsule was used on carbs, usually left disconnected.

Does it have to be a 1.9 dizzy? I've got a 1.6 one & I'm going to Harewood on Sunday to watch.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this