• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shevy

Changing 205 Xs Suspension

Shevy

Just after peoples experiences and advice.

I'm just about to overhaul the front end of my mates 205 XS.

I'm changing the following parts,but particuraly want advice on the front suspension.

What is the best standard suspension to buy and where from, also looking at at maybe putting on some -30mm lowering springs which GSF sell, but not sure if they are any good

Parts that I'm changing

Top mounts,

springs

Front and rear shocks

Driveshafts

Control arms.

One final thing, what size socket piece will I need to undo hte driveshafts ? gotr a feeling it's 32mm or 33mm, for some reason that sticks in my head.

Cheers

Kevin

DaveW

Hub nut is 32 or 30 on the tu engine cars, more likely to be a 30mm, as the ones on my rallye are 30mm.

stealth_pug

i had the gsf springs on my base model and they're fine mate.

Can't remember what size the nut is, 32 does sound familiar though.

Jrod

Thought the rears were 32 and fronts slightly smaller?

But wither way im sure its 30 or 32 :)

stealth_pug

if your not doing it just yet il be back home next weekend and can check then mate?

Shevy
if your not doing it just yet il be back home next weekend and can check then mate?

Cheers for your help guys, a friend has got a 32mm socket piece so I will try that first, if no luck I will go and buy a 30mm piece.

Any advice on the best standard suspension to buy for the XS or any good cheap setup.

Just trying to tighten up the front end of his car and don't want to fit C**p shocks.

Anyone tried the shocks they sell at GSF ?

Cheers

Kev

calvinhorse

i found these topmounts better and cheaper- peugeot part number- 5031.92 bout £35 instead of £47 :)

Edited by calvinhorse

stealth_pug

Just so you know you can use the shocks off Gtis. Not sure how well they work with the xs springs though, unless you get Gti springs aswell.

Shevy

Thanks for the help again guys, I may just fit Gti shocks and springs then.

Am I right in thinking that it will sit lower with standard Gti springs ?

Edited by Shevy

timmsy19

from what i hear it actually sits higher with GTi springs as it not as heavy as a gti front end.

stealth_pug

nah dont think thats right timmsy, i see what your saying though.

I fitted Gti shocks and 30mm lwered gti springs and it lowered my base model by more than 30 because the Gti is already lower. So if you fit Gti 30mm lowered springs it something like 45mm lower in the end.

I think what timmsy said may apply if you use standard springs with GTi shocks or the other way round maybe. Not sure though.

timmsy19
nah dont think thats right timmsy, i see what your saying though.

I fitted Gti shocks and 30mm lwered gti springs and it lowered my base model by more than 30 because the Gti is already lower. So if you fit Gti 30mm lowered springs it something like 45mm lower in the end.

I think what timmsy said may apply if you use standard springs with GTi shocks or the other way round maybe. Not sure though.

fair enough.

im quite sure its with standard springs that its higher. probably really wrong tho so ignore me :)

stealth_pug

nah its a valid point, im sure iv heard it before aswell.

thinking about it it does actually make sense because the Gti shocks do take more force to compress so if they're used with standard springs then they will push the springs up harder than the base model shocks would of done. So you are right mate I just cpouldnt think of the reason lol.

So yer if you use Gti shocks i guess you will need Gti springs aswell.

drmo

I have a question and I hope you don't mind if I ask here. With 1.6L block (with TU24 head) fitted in 205 XR with stiffer and shorter shocks from supersport24 (same shocks for all 205s), which option is beter:

a.) to buy a -35mm springs for GTis

b.) to buy a -55mm springs for all other 205s (including 1.6l XY block)

Current springs are from Apex and they are crap ;)

Thanks,

Luka

Edited by drmo

Enfield

I fitted GTi shocks and springs to my 1.8 DT and it's sitting slightly lower.

If you compare my rallye to the DT the rallye is about 1cm taller.

Guest smokinslim

GTI shocks with basemodel lowering springs is a pretty good combo for both ride and height.

swordfish210
fair enough.

im quite sure its with standard springs that its higher. probably really wrong tho so ignore me :wacko:

i'v just fitted a complete GTI front end to my XT yesterday and the ride height is.....exactly the same, to the mm but the handling is about a million times better

stu_woac

timmy is sort of right the gti springs will be 5mm higher every time so a 30mm drop for a gti is 25mm for the xs base model the gti standard springs is a 20mm drop over the base model on a gti but on the base model you drop 5mm so not alot at all

I feel for the weight disavantages you have when putting the full gti subframe on a base model in out weighs the handling advantages you can easily gain the better handling by up raing the bushes on the xs and puting a decent set of shocks and springs on and it will out perform a standard gti the arb on a xs is nice a fat compared to a gti front arb, it just needs better bushes in the arms to work alot better

Marlon
GTI shocks with basemodel lowering springs is a pretty good combo for both ride and height.

what springs would you recommend?

Sam
timmy is sort of right the gti springs will be 5mm higher every time so a 30mm drop for a gti is 25mm for the xs base model the gti standard springs is a 20mm drop over the base model on a gti but on the base model you drop 5mm so not alot at all

I feel for the weight disavantages you have when putting the full gti subframe on a base model in out weighs the handling advantages you can easily gain the better handling by up raing the bushes on the xs and puting a decent set of shocks and springs on and it will out perform a standard gti the arb on a xs is nice a fat compared to a gti front arb, it just needs better bushes in the arms to work alot better

Having used both I can say without question the GTI setup is much better, there isnt much of a weight difference either, maybe 500g a side if that.

Sign in to follow this