• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjb

S16 Engine Idle

andyjb

Just had my S16 2.0 head rebuilt after a belt failure. The engine starts on the button, But wont idle right.It does drive great through all the gears. The managment light is still on, could the faulty idle be down to any fault codes on the ecu or something? or maybe the codes need clearing? If anyone could shed some light on this please, it would be a great help!!!

Richie-Van-GTi

given your other thread your idle will be down to an air leak.

andyjb
given your other thread your idle will be down to an air leak.

if i block it off, it still runs crap.

pugrallye

does it idle at all? or does it immediately cut out?

andyjb
does it idle at all? or does it immediately cut out?

It starts off the key fine but soon as you touch the throtle it will cut, but sometimes it will idle very low and cut out eventually after a few sconds

andyjb
It starts off the key fine but soon as you touch the throtle it will cut, but sometimes it will idle very low and cut out eventually after a few sconds

when it tries to idle it 'hunts' very bad

pugrallye

clean out throttle body and ICV and disconnect vehicle battery for ten mins, assuming you have no air leaks and vacuum pipe is connected to the engine ecu

Edited by pugrallye

andyjb
clean out throttle body and ICV and disconnect vehicle battery for ten mins, assuming you have no air leaks and vacuum pipe is connected to the engine ecu

I will give that a go, battery needs changing so i wil leave it off for ten mins! cheers

Richie-Van-GTi

just a thought, have you connected the avac system up correctly so the butterflies are closed when at idle? if they are open al the time it will struggle to idle.

andyjb
just a thought, have you connected the avac system up correctly so the butterflies are closed when at idle? if they are open al the time it will struggle to idle.

You mean the Diaphragm's either end of the head? i will check

Mikey S

is the belt timing ok. my bro's 2.0mi16 was 2 teeth out on the exhaust pulley and that idled like crap.

have you fault read it?

andyjb
is the belt timing ok. my bro's 2.0mi16 was 2 teeth out on the exhaust pulley and that idled like crap.

have you fault read it?

I didnt do the head, my mechanic did. im gona have a look at it tomoz and check everything is right, The throttle diaphragms were changed when the head was done so maybe they aint set right. I will check the timing too. cheers for the info!

andyjb

I think its down to the throttle body, it wouldnt idle and would die if i slow down and throttle it. drove it like that for 8 miles home ( struggling at junctions). When i got home, it started and ran fine. but started to play up 2 mins later. Gona clear the codes tomoz in the ecu and check it again to see whats up with it.

Sign in to follow this