• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Fitting Bucket Seat

Alan_M

Before I disappear to the 'Ring again in April, I'd like to mount my bucket seat on new mounts lowering the seating position.

I've got the general gist of it, and have been practising welding on a MIG. Not used MIG before, only Oxy-Acetylene.

Got a 1m length of oblong steel tubing, and big washers and bolts etc today, so would like to have a go tomorrow.

Just want to clear one thing up, when welding in the new bars do you inset the new bars into the sills/exhaust tunnel (make holes big enough for the bars in tunnel and sills, and pus bar into tunnel/sill) or weld on top of the metal? If you get what I mean?

Also, what height hve people welded theirs?

Thanks

Alan

dommorton

Welded my bars to the metal and not through it. They are very strong and not likely to come off in a hurry.

Height depends on the seats and mounts you're using. Just play about with mock up's until you're comfortable.

bren_1.3

not a common practice to route the bars through the metal, rather over the top. but in rallying circles running the bars through the metal can strengthen up the shell further. (i assume you car is caged)

Alan_M

Thanks,

Another question, is there anything wrong with welding the square tubing to the floor, then bolting through tubing and floor?

dommorton

You really can't do this job a wrong way. If the welds are strong and the seat mounted where you want it, then it'll be fine.

Mr_E

Every car I have built, i have first welded a 2mm thick plate onto the inner sill and the tunnel where I want to mount the rails. The plate i use is an inch or so larger than the tube I are use for my seat rails. I then weld the seat rail tube to these plates.

I have never put holes through the sills or tunnels and welded them that way, i cant see that being as strong.

Sign in to follow this