• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

N/a Xud To Xud Turbo

fulani

I've been looking at buying a normally aspirated 205 1.8 diesel for commuting in. They seem to go for a lot less than a turbo diesel, as the cars they're in don't usually have all the accompanying heavy stuff - power steering, leather, aircon etc.

Anyway, I was thinking they may be a bit slow, but a guy I know is breaking a 405 1.8 Turbo Diesel, and is willing to sell me the manifolds and turbo fairly cheaply. So basically, a couple of questions:

1. Are the engines the same? Would the turbo fit on to the 205 engine?

2. Would the stuff fit under a 205 bonnet?

3. Would I need anything else to do the conversion?

If it's easier to do a whole engine out and in job, he may let me take the engine away, but if I was going to do that I think it'd prefer a 1.9 D Turbo out of a 306 (if that fits).

205turbo

my brother killed his 1.8 d 205 van a week or so ago, we had a 96 306 dturbo that had been damaged and put the engine in the van. We used most of the stuff off his old 1.8d as the 306 had aircon / power steering, everything was a bolt on job, we had to swop the exhaust for a stdt / dturbo, Easy and straight forward fit.

Edited by 205turbo

jim21070

As 205Turbo says, the easiest way is a full transplant. There are a lot of detail differences between the 1.8D and TD that makes it near impossible to do a conversion. They are, essentially, totally different.

A good transplant would be the whole 1.8TD if you can get hold of it but even better is any 1.9TD and there are loads of them around in almost any Pug or Cit made between the late 80s and the late 90s. Try to go for a late one. The TDs with the top mounted intercooler are easier to transplant than those with a front mounted intercooler.

There is another detail difference in that TDs use a different glowplug timer that has a post-heat function. Thry to get the glowplug timer and post-heating relay and sensor (goes into the thermostat housing) from the donor.

fulani

Sounds like I should just get an STDT to start with! :lol:

205turbo

well if you want one i have one with no engine or box, it has 2/3 months tax and 10 mots for £160

fulani
well if you want one i have one with no engine or box, it has 2/3 months tax and 10 mots for £160

Does it have aircon?

In fact, do any of them have air conditioning?

205turbo

no, i don't think any stdt's have it,

DaveW

yeah the air con is the sunroof :P , Dturbos are cheap too or even the late base models such as a mardi gras dont have all the extras.

Sign in to follow this