• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Best Ht Leads For 205 1.9 Gti

yorkshirekowboy

hello all,

right im needing a set of HT leads, im running the standard ngk sparkplugs which u can't fault :

; ace they are, the champion ones are crap.

any one found any leads that has made the performance of their car's better?, as there is like leads from a price range of around 20 quid upto 70 quid ;)

i used to run the bosch leads set which i found were crap as they used to snap and leave there nipple end on the spark plug which i found very annoying, then i put a set of second unknown make ones on, and it made the car alot more responsive, in every way :lol:

ive seen various leads on gay bay, shops etc, so just wanting if anyone could recommend any good performance leads!!!

sorry for the long essay, hope it makes sence :D

thanks

Ahl
i used to run the bosch leads set which i found were crap as they used to snap and leave there nipple end on the spark plug which i found very annoying, then i put a set of second unknown make ones on, and it made the car alot more responsive, in every way

Thats your fault for pulling the leads off by the cable and not the plug, but I agree, it is irritating.

A good set of OE leads is all you want really. You could spend more on some fancy magnecor leads and they will last longer. I don't know its good economy though.

yorkshirekowboy
Thats your fault for pulling the leads off by the cable and not the plug, but I agree, it is irritating.

A good set of OE leads is all you want really. You could spend more on some fancy magnecor leads and they will last longer. I don't know its good economy though.

yeah i have pulled the lead off in anger, as the nipple just pulled the wire through the rubber plug! so yank it went ;)

so does the double\triple silicone leads help keep a good spark? are the o.e double?

Ahl

The double/triple/extra thick leads only mean the insulation (and the hence the spark) lasts longer. They should all perform much the same when in good nick.

You won't get any performance benefit from spark leads, just a drop in performance from worn ones.

yorkshirekowboy
The double/triple/extra thick leads only mean the insulation (and the hence the spark) lasts longer. They should all perform much the same when in good nick.

You won't get any performance benefit from spark leads, just a drop in performance from worn ones.

ok mate, so what you recommend? champion ones? saw some hotwire (spitfire?) leads in halfords, but they sell them seperate, and you need a converter kit to make them fit you car, so must be designed to fit all cars, which i feel is a faff on ;)

also i think the halford make type ones maybe cheap, unless someone can confirm im wrong :D

pip470

I worked with an engine builder for a few months and i couldnt belive what i saw when he used to dyno his engines. I went in there thinking i knew what made a good engine and he just blew it all out of the water. He uses standard items for the leads and uses the same set on every engine he dynos. he says just the same as ahl really that they do the job and if theres no gain in upgrading them whats the point. I thought high compresion this and ported that will need super dupa blue spark plug leads to make it better. False economy. You could have 4 sets for the price of the some fancy ones that will do the same job. I think standard peugeot ones were designed to do the job. But then I dont know how much they are.

dave_gti

i have asked a few mechanics, they have all said the same, splitfire etc are a waste of money.

yorkshirekowboy
I worked with an engine builder for a few months and i couldnt belive what i saw when he used to dyno his engines. I went in there thinking i knew what made a good engine and he just blew it all out of the water. He uses standard items for the leads and uses the same set on every engine he dynos. he says just the same as ahl really that they do the job and if theres no gain in upgrading them whats the point. I thought high compresion this and ported that will need super dupa blue spark plug leads to make it better. False economy. You could have 4 sets for the price of the some fancy ones that will do the same job. I think standard peugeot ones were designed to do the job. But then I dont know how much they are.

defo agree there mate, i mean im keeping away from bosch, two sets ive had and i would never go back!!

i try and see if i can get some proper pugs ones thou i have a feeling they wont be cheap!! wonder if champion are any good, i used them on my 1.6 one but cant remember if i noticed anything good about them, otherwise i would remember ;)

oh i got some from the local motor factors before i got my bosch ones, i took them back poor quality and the nipples were proper slack around the top of spark plug :D

migth enquire about some pug ones, i have a feeling i might faint, maybe the citroen dealers maybe cheaper? they use the same leads :lol:

Super Josh

Get some from GSF or equivalent. They'll be fine and won't break the bank.

Josh

welshpug

GSF ones are spot on, Beru items, same kit for early and late (6 leads included, i.e both types of king lead)

Alastairh

I agree about the supa duper ones from speaking to a few friends.

Bosch ones seem good enough to me ;)

ALEX

I had a set of Splitfire on mine, They did nothing for performance and the made the radio crackle.

I replaced them with a set from GSF,

DamirGTI

I have "Pro Spark" leads , good quality just as OE product but for less money :lol:

pug_ham

The last sets of leads I've got for GTi's (dizzy & coilpack) were from my local motor factors & are an "XL complete" lead set with a 12 month Guarantee.

The dizzy set also came with the extra king lead to suit both coil locations.

Both cost about £15 iirc.

Graham.

yorkshirekowboy
The last sets of leads I've got for GTi's (dizzy & coilpack) were from my local motor factors & are an "XL complete" lead set with a 12 month Guarantee.

The dizzy set also came with the extra king lead to suit both coil locations.

Both cost about £15 iirc.

Graham.

ace, well im using NGK spark plugs, found them ace, never had any problem with them, and the bosch leads i have, so may look into getting some gsf ones, but with postage and handling charges works out a bomb :P

Jer309GTi

Hmm, I thought it was strange when I kept breaking my Bosch leads on my old 309, but it seems I'm not the only one. And yes, I always was very careful when removing leads, always pulling using the rubber boot and not on the lead.

I bought a set of cheapy leads (non-branded box, about £12 the set) for my Mi from my local motor factors a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised when the box contain a set of Lucas branded leads :P

yorkshirekowboy
Hmm, I thought it was strange when I kept breaking my Bosch leads on my old 309, but it seems I'm not the only one. And yes, I always was very careful when removing leads, always pulling using the rubber boot and not on the lead.

I bought a set of cheapy leads (non-branded box, about £12 the set) for my Mi from my local motor factors a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised when the box contain a set of Lucas branded leads :D

yeah bosch leads are junk, i mean they ok for a bit, and when you need to take lead off, snap goes the wire form the nipple, and its left on the sparkplug top :P very annoying. i think they arnt crimped tight enough on the wire tbh, if they fixed that problem then i would be back on them!!!

i have yet to use bosch sparks like, neevr heard anyhting good about them, so i guess i stay on my ngk, so the leads you got were they double insulated?

i think my dizzy cap and type is the type with the nipple hanging out, (it begins with "S" three letters cant remember the name now) instead on the nipple which goes inside...

any advandages of the internal tyoe to my external type dizzy cap and leads?

Sign in to follow this