• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Grill Screw Removal ?

johnnyboy666

a bit of a trivial question but how the bloody hell do you remove the two screws that hold the front grill on?? the only method ive managed in the past is drilling out the original screws, retapping the holes and putting some fresh (slightly bigger) ones in, but surely theres an easier way?

cheers in advance :)

j_turnell

A good impact driver will do the job, or get some decent screw drivers lol.

Baz

They're a right pain, as James said, i've got them out before, but when they're fully rusted and don't budge i've drilled them out, and used (forget the proper name) Rawl plug type things that affix into the slam panel, and some new bolts.

Tend to not bother with anything these days and just have a 'quick release grille', they sit fine in position if the 3 locating lugs are on the back of the grille anyhow. :)

Ryan

The heads round out as soon as you even touch them. In the end I cut slots in them with a dremel and used a big flatblade to get them out.

johnnyboy666

hmm sounds like i better get an impact driver then, i have tried twatting a screwdriver into the buggers with a hammer but that didnt seem to work too well..

Super Josh

Once you've got the old ones out, replace them with a hex headed bolt. Then you can use a socket set to get them out in future, without rounding the heads.

Josh

steve@cornwall
Once you've got the old ones out, replace them with a hex headed bolt. Then you can use a socket set to get them out in future, without rounding the heads.

Josh

Break the grill off with a big screwdriver- mole grips should now have clearance on the screw (go to scrappy first and pick up new grille backing)

fencer

Josh

that's what i did, never had problems since.

P.S. Adding some grease to the thread before screwing it in might also help

Edited by fencer

johnnyboy666

now the hex bolt idea is bloody clever, i hadnt thought o' that

new problem now - just as i had finnished sanding off my home made badgeless grill i went and cracked the bugger! typical, it was lookin pretty beastly aswell

Edp

I had to drill both mine out once upon a time. Replaced them with bolts, far easier to remove when the need arises.

inferno

ive got a set of blue point rounded bolt head removers, which works really well on these. still wise to replace with hex bolts though.

Sign in to follow this