• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mareksio

Serious Rust In The Boot

mareksio

Had a bit of a nightmare afternoon.

Basically, my plan was to treat the rust that I recently found under the boot carpet. Wire brush, red oxide, and it'll be as good as new, I thought. So I got to work.

2 hours later:

IMG_1744_edited.jpg

IMG_1747_edited.jpg

:D

What are my options?

bren_1.3

weld it up. mine has rotted actually worse than that. use those rails that you can see to get a good solid repair when you weld the new plate in.

dommorton

Needs plating up :D would take an hour or two with a mig welder and some plate.

Unusual spot there for rust so it may have had previous accident damage in that area.

Dream Weaver

Not that unusual, mine is rusty there as well and nearly as bad as that.

It was all down to the leaky boot when it rained and used to be parked on my old road - water would sit in there for days on end. :D

boldy205

a few years ago these little pugs had a good reputation as far as rot goes, but unfortunatly time takes it toll and it seems to be popping up everywhere!!

Cut all the rusty bits out paint it and the patch with weld through Zink primer, weld it up then depending how fussy you are grind the weld down/seam sealer to make it look 'pretty'.

After go through the whole car with waxoyl to help prevent any more.

One thing to take note of is make sure your brake flud is not leaking, as this strips paint and therefore leads to rot (as i found at the bottom of my bulkhead last weekend where it had leaked fron the M/C. :D

mareksio

Thanks for the replies people - quite encouraging.

Would it be best to cut out part of a boot floor from another 205 to use as a plate? I've got no welding experience whatsoever, so suppose I will have to find someone to do it.

Might as well have a look under the carpets in the rest of the car while I'm at it, see what other nasty gremlins I can find...

A leaking boot seal was almost certainly the culprit - the soundproofing was like a dirty great sponge when I pulled it out!

matty_gti
Thanks for the replies people - quite encouraging.

Would it be best to cut out part of a boot floor from another 205 to use as a plate? I've got no welding experience whatsoever, so suppose I will have to find someone to do it.

You could use a bit of another 205's boot floor for the plate, but dont forget you would have to cut it out first.

Normally peaple use sheet metal and bend it to the shape desired and then tack weld first in place. once your satisfied with the fit of the new plate then just carry on welding :ph34r:....but remove every part off the rust before you put the plate on if not more!, because itll only come back even quicker....it happend to my friends RS Turbo!

mareksio

Cheers, I'll look into it. Bending sheet metal to match the boot shape might be a bit tricky, but I suppose nobody is going to be seeing it anyway...

bren_1.3
Might as well have a look under the carpets in the rest of the car while I'm at it, see what other nasty gremlins I can find...

have a look under the rear seats. mine started to rot there aswell.

GLPoomobile

Mine is rotten where one of the plugs is missing, as well as some other quite bad surface rust areas, which may have gone all the way through but I don't think so .

What should I expect to pay for a body shop to cut out a patch of rot, say 2 inches by 2 inches, plate up (nicely), grind, prime and paint? I will be getting a quote soon but don't have a spare weekend for weeks!

Guest Vrooom

This scares me!! i just had my rust on roof sorting out... i wonder what else i will find!!

Dream Weaver
Mine is rotten where one of the plugs is missing, as well as some other quite bad surface rust areas, which may have gone all the way through but I don't think so .

What should I expect to pay for a body shop to cut out a patch of rot, say 2 inches by 2 inches, plate up (nicely), grind, prime and paint? I will be getting a quote soon but don't have a spare weekend for weeks!

I had an old Rover 216 welded up that had failed its MOT on the front suspension mounts - quite a big patch so was expecting a big bill as i'd never had welding done before, but it cost me about £40. That was 8 years back though.

Sign in to follow this