• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Diesel Gearbox

DamirGTI

Hello !

Please boys i need some advice :

I've bought diesel 1.8GRD gearbox by mistake (guy sead that is mi16 box but it has a wierd long ratios 1st- 35mph , 2nd 62mph , 3rd 91mph , 4th - 121mph , 5th - ?? @6000rmp , gearbox code starts with numbers - 14DS...) and wish to make gearbox for my 1.9 8v , engine is modified with ported head 3angle seats and 11.5:1 compression (flat top pistons) so i think that it will be a little stronger and maybe revvier

I have that diesel box and 1.6 box ,what can i mix with these two to gain some better ratios ?

I was thinking to fit 1.6 FD in that diesel box

Any advice will help !

Thanks ;)

pug_ham

Fitting the 1.6 FD to the diesel gearbox will lower the ratio's, making the first three gears similar to a 1.6 gearbox with 4th the same as the 1.9 GTi gearbox & 5th longer.

Basically the same as the gear ratio's as a 405 SRi (or the rare close ratio box on the early 205 GTi) like I have fitted to my car currently.

Mixing them in any differently doesn't make that much difference to gear speeds so imo thats the best option.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Thanks Graham ! :D

How do you like that SRI gearbox on your car ?

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham

Its OK on the road (nice at motorway speeds) but I'm fitting a different one soon better suited to track work.

Graham.

DamirGTI

ok. thanks :D

Sign in to follow this