• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Driveshafts Broken!?

bitchass 205

Hi all.

Well, tuesday night i went over a speed bump a bit to quick. Not big and not clever i know, it was a moment of maddnes.

After replaceing a fubar'ed rotoe arm and dizzy cap i now think, after my drive to work, that my driveshafts are knackered. I can here knocking coming from the front, not any one side in particular just the front.

Any ideas? If it is the above what am i looking at for repairs? roughly.

Cheers

Michael

Faz85

How does the noise change when your steering Michael? I would try and verify if it is driveshafts by driving in progressively tigter circles and listen for knocking. Wishbones could be the source of your knocking also. Mine have started to knock since the rubber bushes are starting to become worn.

I would look at wishbones first, before driveshafts. Havnt really got a clue on what it would cost though.

Faz

Edited by Faz85

bitchass 205

Hi Faz,

The knocking is all the time, on straights, round corners. It increases with road speed and seems to get less at high speeds. Whether this is because i can't hear it above the general road noise/exhaust i'm not sure.

bitchass 205

Well, i think i have some news. I took it to the garage this morning and they said, not an engine mount, driveshafts look ok and wish bones look ok. They did say that an air filter bolt had snapped off but i remember shearing a bolt off a couple of weeks ago and its been fine.

The knocking only happens when i'm off the power. It builds with road speed, i.e it knocks quicker the faster i go and happens round corners and on straight roads.

I can't see it being the filter tbh. But if it not any of the above what could it be? :):D

Guest cknotty

Did they look at the droplinks?

bitchass 205
Did they look at the droplinks?

not sure tbh, wasn't in the best of mood yesterday, so am going back down there today to have a look. it diffinatly sounds like something is catching in something else which is rotating. :D:)

pugpete1108
Well, i think i have some news. I took it to the garage this morning and they said, not an engine mount, driveshafts look ok and wish bones look ok. They did say that an air filter bolt had snapped off but i remember shearing a bolt off a couple of weeks ago and its been fine.

The knocking only happens when i'm off the power. It builds with road speed, i.e it knocks quicker the faster i go and happens round corners and on straight roads.

I can't see it being the filter tbh. But if it not any of the above what could it be? :):D

is it deffo a knocking or a whining/grinding noise , you could have shagged a bearing race going over the speed hump ?? hard to tell without listening myself

pete

bitchass 205
is it deffo a knocking or a whining/grinding noise , you could have shagged a bearing race going over the speed hump ?? hard to tell without listening myself

pete

deffo a knocking, you can here it gradually getting quicker as the car goes faster. I'm going down to the garage, Kenhire, at lunch to pick it up then i'm going down to eastbourne to let my step dad have a look. he thinks it could be a g/box mount.

I'm slowly losing patience with it. :):D

Faz85

Thats pretty much got me stumped mate, if you build up some speed and then put the clutch in, does the knocking occur? If so, it could suggest excessive crankshaft end-float. If this was the case, you would need new thrustwashers, But i honestly dont know if it could be caused by hitting that speed bump. Might be a last resort to consider if nothing else works.

Best of luck!

Faz

pugpete1108
deffo a knocking, you can here it gradually getting quicker as the car goes faster. I'm going down to the garage, Kenhire, at lunch to pick it up then i'm going down to eastbourne to let my step dad have a look. he thinks it could be a g/box mount.

I'm slowly losing patience with it. :):(

just chill mate you can't have a near 20 yr old motor without having a few probs :D

like i said you will get to a point when you have replaced everything and nothing more can go wrong ( you hope :) )

if you still get a grin when you drive it thats good enough , well for me anyway

bitchass 205
Thats pretty much got me stumped mate, if you build up some speed and then put the clutch in, does the knocking occur? If so, it could suggest excessive crankshaft end-float. If this was the case, you would need new thrustwashers, But i honestly dont know if it could be caused by hitting that speed bump. Might be a last resort to consider if nothing else works.

Best of luck!

Faz

What do you mean by crankshaft end float? Whatever it is it doesn't sound good. If it helps, when i went over the speed bump the rotor arm and dizzy smashed, the rotor arm had split in half length ways! :)

when i put the clutch in the knocking stops, i think. SO if its not doing it with the clutch in then are these thrustwashers ok?

pugpete1108
What do you mean by crankshaft end float? Whatever it is it doesn't sound good. If it helps, when i went over the speed bump the rotor arm and dizzy smashed, the rotor arm had split in half length ways! :)

when i put the clutch in the knocking stops, i think. SO if its not doing it with the clutch in then are these thrustwashers ok?

if it doesn't do it with the clutch in then its not the driveshafts , sounds like gearbox or something related to it could be a mount like you said

bitchass 205
if it doesn't do it with the clutch in then its not the driveshafts , sounds like gearbox or something related to it could be a mount like you said

lets hope so, the brakes are fine, steering is fine, steering wheel is still dead centre. engine starts first time and rev nice and freely.

Faz85

Yeah, If it stops knocking with the clutch in, that eliminates a few possibilities, and it rules out the thrust washers (crankshaft end float is the clearance between the web of the crankpink and thrustwashers, if the gap is too large, there is a lot of free play in the crank causing it to knock.)

But this isnt your problem if it doesnt knock with the clutch in. Looks like mounts are gonna come up trumps now, hope you get it sorted soon Michael.

Faz

bitchass 205

well, have just driven it back from the garage, was happy about the cost, for half a days work and a few nuts and bolts only £25!, but the knocking is still there.

It knocks with the clutch in, and clutch out. it increases with road speed, but does not occur when the engine is at idle. it feel central almost, not from a particular side.

The mechanic said that all driveshafts, wishbones, droplinks where fine.

Confused.

Ahl

It would be interesting to see if the knocking was still evident with wheels turning but front end up on axle stands or similar.

Obviously you'd need to be very careful when doing this.

Faz85

Hmmm...I take it the mounts are all fine then Michael? Like Ahl suggested, might be worth trying to get the front up in the air with the wheels turning, it would probably help isolate the source of the knock. I dont think theres very many possibilities left, but the knock is there with the clutch in and out, so signs could be pointing to engine internals :)

what i can think off that could cause it...thrustwashers like mentioned before, or connecting rods perhaps?

I would have also suggested maybe a warped brake disc, but you say the garage checked the brakes rite?

Faz

bitchass 205

Got the mounts checked and they're fine. As i was driving down to Eastbourne i noticed that the knocking stopped when i applied the brakes. :) I'm getting the discs and pads changed tomorrow any way so i'll let you know if the disc has been warpped.

The knocking doesn't 'feel' as if its coming from the engine. Whilst at idle with a few revs nothing happens. If it were con rods i would expect there to be vibration coming from the block itself, eg if i'm coasting with foot on clutch and foot off the throttle theres still knocking at higher speed than the engine speed.

I'm having the car on the ramp over the weekend so i'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Michael

Sign in to follow this