• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
david932

Power Steering Running No Pump

david932

if you were to run the p/s with no pump attached will it:

1. be less turns lock to lock?

2. cause heavier steering than manual?

3. wreck the rack?

4. have more play than a standard rack where the oil should compensate?

cheers

PsychoSimon

there are plenty of people that run this setup succesfully. just remove the power steering rams from the rack so that it passes an mot.

Yes it reduces lock to lock turns, yes it causes slightly heavier steering and no it doesnt wreck it or have more play than standard.

Regards,

Simon

david932

cheers

brianthemagical

i'm just curious as to how it reduces the turns lock to lock?

thanks.

Simes

I've done this, technically it can fail the MOT as it is PAS not working correctly.

If you remove all traces of the PAS, hoses pump, ram etc then you'll be fine.

Does make it quicker lock to lock and also improves your arm muscles and swearing ability when carrying out low speed manouvres.

boombang

It has different gearing to the non-assisted rack apparently.

jackherer

thanks.

swapping the rack from manual to power steering, they are different ratios.

Simes

thanks.

It's a quicker rack 3.1 I think instead of 3.8. someone will correct me shortly!

brianthemagical

i was under the impression that the same rack was kept. thanks for the replys.

i've gone from a pas 205 gti to a non-pas 309 and i prefer the pas. i have to hold the steering wheel tighter for low speed stuff, then my hand flys off and i mess-up my one handed manouvre and take two attempts, looking like a fool.

Edited by brianthemagical

swordfish210

i'm a non PAS fan myself as you get much more feel and feedback through the steering, this is definetly possible as previously stated as all of the guy's who used to race Capri's got themselvs a PAS rack from a 2.8i and whipped the PAS pump off and HEY PRESTO, a cheep quick rack steering set up

inferno

my mot tester was a nob, and despite me pulling in and out of the bay in my sorento mi16 with a pas rack minus ALL the gubbins,one handed, he decided it was too heavy and failed it! twat. mot'ers discretion i guess.

Jer309GTi
my mot tester was a nob, and despite me pulling in and out of the bay in my sorento mi16 with a pas rack minus ALL the gubbins,one handed, he decided it was too heavy and failed it! twat. mot'ers discretion i guess.

You should have stuck 40psi in the front tyres and took it back for a retest :)

Higgy

As far as I have read, base models and the GTi had the same ratio steering rack. Other hot hatches like the XR2i had quicker racks compared to their base models.

The PAS rack simply has a different ratio as 'Simes' said to give it a reduced lock-to-lock (3.2 I thought?).

I guess Peugeot did not release a different ratio rack without PAS because of the increased steering effort needed (I cant remember how my old XR2i feels to my 205). You can hear the car reviewers comments:

"...the 205 GTi has very heavy steering at parking speeds, only young men with well developed forearms need apply". :D

I run the PAS rack minus the PAS gubbins. Not sure if I could go back to normal rack now.

Sign in to follow this