• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Quaife Close Ratio Gearkit Ma Box - Help!

205Rallee

:) I've had problems with the synchro on 1st and 4th gears, MA box on TU 24 Rallye. It's got a Quaife close ratio gearkit fitted by Skip Brown originally. Took it to pieces on Saturday put new synchros on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 5th gear synchro ring looked a bit rough so replaced it with a standard used 5th gear synchro ring as I didn't have a spare new one. Anyway put it back together, drive it down the road it sticks in gear! Took it all to pieces again and measured the synchro ring on 5th gear as originally fitted by Skip Brown and that had 20 thou machined off it!

Got a new 5th gear synchro on order and will get that machined by 20 thou and hopefully that will work.

Anybody else had any problems like this with this gearkit?

Rob Thomson

I have similar issues with the Gripper LSD/CWP kit in mine. The output shaft is obviously slightly different as the synchros need shimming or it jumps out of gear...

I was planning to upgrade to a Quaife kit to avoid these sorts of problems so your issues aren't good news.

Time to convert to a BE?!

205Rallee
I have similar issues with the Gripper LSD/CWP kit in mine. The output shaft is obviously slightly different as the synchros need shimming or it jumps out of gear...

I was planning to upgrade to a Quaife kit to avoid these sorts of problems so your issues aren't good news.

It's very tempting just to keep the LSD and shove the standard original gearkit back in! Can't say I'm convinced that the circa £2k spent on the close ratio set up was worthwhile. My original synchros lasted 80,000 miles. With the Quaife I think it's done 5,000..................

205Rallee
It's very tempting just to keep the LSD and shove the standard original gearkit back in! Can't say I'm convinced that the circa £2k spent on the close ratio set up was worthwhile. My original synchros lasted 80,000 miles. With the Quaife I think it's done 5,000..................

All working now!

New synchro rings fitted. Had to machine 20 thou off the back of 5th gear synchro ring to get it to work. With a std 5th gear synchro it just jammed in 5th.

Have fitted one of Macaroni's 4-2-1 manifolds and it's off to be remapped on Friday. Let's see if the thing has anymore power/torque. It does sound a bit racier!

PS Not swapping my TU24 for a 1600, that's a crime!

Sam

I still have that Quaife gearbox in the garage waiting for you, I'm about 10,000 miles from it mind you....

Sign in to follow this