• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

I Dont Have A Filler Plug!

matty_gti

hi, im just about to put my drive shafts in place and was looking at my gear box and relised theres no larger bolt where you fill it up????.....does that mean you dont fill it up there??...all i know is that it is a BE1 type

Take a look....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...ti/DSC00634.jpg

Any ideas??? :)

ThAnKs

Edited by matty_gti

Batfink

remove the lift up reverse cable and fill from there :)

Edited by Batfink

Higgy
remove the lift up reverse cable and fill from there :D

Either it was clever French engineering to save money, or it was

"I thought putting on a fill plug was your job?!?"

"oh cr*p :) "

"never mind, here's a hole :) "

:D

matty_gti
remove the lift up reverse cable and fill from there :lol:

But cant you overfill the box doing it that way?, isnt that why the bolt whole is used so you cant overfill?.... :ph34r: lol

Grim.Badger

Have you tried removing the bolt where the hole should be?

Miles

You should have a plug in the front of the box, But measure out 2l and fill it up

It's cica 1984 that one and might even have the C;/R Gears in it, I'm surprized it still alive.

matty_gti
You should have a plug in the front of the box, But measure out 2l and fill it up

It's cica 1984 that one and might even have the C;/R Gears in it, I'm surprized it still alive.

I havent tried removing the bolt....

Yeah its got a plug at the front just like the one you empty the oil out off on the final drive housing. Ive just got some 75w80 halfords stuff...did ask peugeot but no luck there with the oil. :ph34r:

I dont know what gearbox it is, just came with my replacment engine, all i know is that it has had a bit of money spent on it.

KRISKARRERA

Isn't this the gearbox where Haynes says you're supposed to use engine oil?

matty_gti
No it's not

:) Thats the answer i was looking for!

matty_gti

Today i thought id replace the copper washers that the plugs have on them....when i was un-doing what i thought was the main gearbox drain plug (I was told it was empty!).....about half a litre or so came out!.....Doh!

Shown in the picture...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...ti/DSC00639.jpg

I then decided to read my old haynes.

It says that the BE1 boxes have three plugs -

1. Gearbox drain plug

2. Fianl drive drain plug

3. filler plug.

After studying the picture i relised i had taken out the final drive plug. Am i correct?.

Here is another plug which i presume im supposed to fill the box via?...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...ti/DSC00644.jpg

Im goin to undo the main box Plug tomorrow.

It states that the box takes 2L of fluid to fill the box.....Is the final drive compartment and main box compartmant seperate?, or do i just poor the full 2L into the one refill plug and then it will just seperate its self on where it needs to go?...or is the 2L just for the main box?

ThAnKs

Miles

You drained it out in the right place, the final drive casing which on most boxes is the only one, The book was written when the very early boxes where around with a few more plugs in.

The best place to fill up with 2L is where the reverse cable goes in on top of the box

matty_gti
You drained it out in the right place, the final drive casing which on most boxes is the only one, The book was written when the very early boxes where around with a few more plugs in.

The best place to fill up with 2L is where the reverse cable goes in on top of the box

Ok, i was a bit stumped because my box is exactly the one in the haynes and it has the three plugs so i thought id just fill it up with the plug it says. However, ill just undo the other drain plug to see if any comes out. Ill then poor the 2L in where the reverse cable goes.

Thanks for the help!!

Edited by matty_gti

Rupertfinch

on the subject of gearbox oil - if there's a citroen dealer near you then chances are they'll have the correct oil. It's called TOTAL BV. I only add this as it's taken me almost a year and a half to realise that my much closer Citroen dealer can pretty much get me anything the further away Peugeot dealer can - what a twat I am! Should be about £7 for a litre - although GSF are supposed to be cheaper.

Capn. Pugwash

So what's this plug for??

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...ti/DSC00644.jpg

I recently changed the oil in my box and filled it up with 2L of Castrol VMX80 with Nulon G70 additive. I used this plug to put the oil back in. I presumed it was OK cos it's now starting to leak a little from the drain plug. Is it OK to use this to fill from???

KRISKARRERA
Sorry, the page you requested was not found

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a page on Photobucket, try visiting the home page. Also, you may find what you are looking for using the search below.

Capn. Pugwash

Try clicking on the link in matty's post!

The plug I'm referring to is accessible by removing the battery and is forward facing at about a 45 degree angle. Hope this helps!

Edited by Capn. Pugwash

taylorspug

If its the one at the front of the box under the battery then yes that is the filler plug.

matty_gti
Try clicking on the link in matty's post!

The plug I'm referring to is accessible by removing the battery and is forward facing at about a 45 degree angle. Hope this helps!

Yup indeed that is the filler plug, but i just filled it up by the reverse cable! :)

P.S, i dont really have time to drive to the citroen dealer that isnt exactly close to me, ill just pester the little boys at peugeot again for some!

stutto
TOTAL BV. Should be about £7 for a litre - although GSF are supposed to be cheaper.

Yep, its less than £5 a litre IIRC.

Sign in to follow this