• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Death Rattle!

welshpug

got a rattle on my ZX 16v :) (read 2.0 RFY Mi16)

its got worse and I think it needs some sort of rebuild, how much i'm not sure, but before I strip it down (or at least take the sump off) can anyone give pointers?

heres a clip of the sound to help http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/wel...-03-07_1736.flv

Mikey S

i would at least whip the cam cover off and have a peak in there to see if there isnt a broken cam or something, or its a very noisy lifter. is it still running on all 4?

welshpug

yep, seems to be running on all 4, management light hasnt lit, still drives, but rattles on acceleration and deceleration, only driven 2 miles if that since it started doing this noise.

Mikey S
yep, seems to be running on all 4, management light hasnt lit, still drives, but rattles on acceleration and deceleration, only driven 2 miles if that since it started doing this noise.

i doubt it would be bottom end if its doing it on decelleration unless its really fcuked it up.

as i said in my previous post remove the rocker cover and go from there i reckon.

inferno

not as loud as my 406 was with a hole on the block:P

Guest Roland
got a rattle on my ZX 16v :) (read 2.0 RFY Mi16)

its got worse and I think it needs some sort of rebuild, how much i'm not sure, but before I strip it down (or at least take the sump off) can anyone give pointers?

heres a clip of the sound to help http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/wel...-03-07_1736.flv

Sounds like a big end bearing to me. :)

Sump off time and see what you find!

pug309twin40s

doesnt sound like a big end.

sounds more like the cambelt is loose and slapping on the cambelt cover or something broken inside the cam cover.

welshpug
doesnt sound like a big end.

sounds more like the cambelt is loose and slapping on the cambelt cover or something broken inside the cam cover.

:lol: whatever it is I've not driven it since it started!! all suggestions welcome, I might just take the whole thing apart anyway when I get the time (405 and Goodwood to sort first :ph34r: )

maxi
:lol: whatever it is I've not driven it since it started!! all suggestions welcome, I might just take the whole thing apart anyway when I get the time (405 and Goodwood to sort first :ph34r: )

I thought above you have posted that you drove it for 2 miles like it?? And you must have driven it to know it makes the noise on acceleration and and slowing down.....

Its a big end bearing by the way and its f***ed. Do not run it anymore as to me it sounds like it possibly have picked up the shells and it is ready to throw a rod.

Maxi

welshpug
I thought above you have posted that you drove it for 2 miles like it?? And you must have driven it to know it makes the noise on acceleration and and slowing down.....

err, well yes of course! I wouldn't have known about the noise (and wouldnt have developed it either :ph34r: ) and I couldnt leave it on a motorway so I stopped at the closest safe place keeping revs and load as low as possible, anyway thats done now and i'm arranging a trailer to take it up to my garage asap.

Richie-Van-GTi

definatley sounds terminal to me, if it were cambelt slapping the covers then the valves would be history by now for it to be that loose.

Guest edcotic

This is identical to the sound mine started making yesturday

Have u had a chance to investigate yet? I'm at a bit of a loss. Sounds distinctly like its coming from the top end on mine but nothing untoward is visible with the cam cover off.

Anyone know if the sound of bottom end going can permeate up through the engine and fool an ameteur mechanic?

The cam lobes that are visible look fine, although i'll have to turn the engine over to check them all.

had to trailer it 125 miles out of north Wales yesturday - ruined one of the best drives i've had in it in 15,000 miles

Any update appreciated

cheers

ed

Richie-Van-GTi

ed yes it can sound top end sometimes. I had an engine with bottom end knock that sounded head related. turned out to be a little end was shot on pot 3. I just swapped the piston from an engine with knacked liners. Worked a treat.

pugrallye

that sounds like bottom end (bit poor sound though) probably spun/ losing a bearing on the crank

mattmk1

Defo sounds like the big ends to me, its far too solid to be cambelt slap, and youd have mangled your valves by now. Whip the sump off.

Guest Coopkiller

Oh dear, not good. :)

That is a classic big end knock

stutto

Sounds nearly identical to mine, except slightly deeper. I took my sump off to find many copper flakes...

My shell was still in place but had no copper left at all. I drove about five miles after it started.

Sign in to follow this