• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
david932

Gti 6 Gearbox Issues

david932

can you atain full lock to the left with the gti6 box fitted?

is there any complications with reverse on any particular model of 205?

welshpug

yes.

no, but very early or later cars need the late be1 gear lever assembly and cable to be fitted

david932

cool, what year models require a be1 setup?

Hilgie

David,

Full lock to left is no problem, but full lock to the right is limited by the front left wheel touching the gearbox housing.

if your car currently has a BE3 gearbox (ie R is below 5) than you need to convert to BE1 gearstick (ie R is next to 1).

david932

cheers fellas :)

Guest TonySmiff

what are the part numbers or parts required to do this conversion?

I have a Mi16 205 and have a 306 gti 6 gearbox waiting so just wondering what i need? my reverse is under 5th at the present.

Could i not just pull the reverse cable out the box and clamp it so the reverse is ready and waiting? ie no need to lift up for reverse?

Cheers

Edited by TonySmiff

sutol

Come on chaps let's resolve this issue as it is the same combination as I am going to use and I also need the info :)post-9302-1186000641.gif

Miles

You will need a reverse cable, Gearstick as it's got a lifting collar around it and a lock stop to pass a MOT, Any model 205/309 GTi upto around 1989 will have it fitted but personally I would buy a new cable as 95% have had it with split outers

The lock it just plain daft, It's bad enough in the 306

taylorspug

The only thing that makes the lock better is using 1600 hubs, as the wheels are slightly further out then. Its still not great though.

Also the wheel rubbing on the gearbox casing can be an MOT fail, so you will need to put a lock stop of some sort on the RHS of the steering rack. :)

Ryan
You will need a reverse cable, Gearstick as it's got a lifting collar around it and a lock stop to pass a MOT

Really? I passed 2 MOTs at different garages (one of them incredibly strict) without a lockout mechanism.

whizzer71

And IF you have Gti6 calipers that hits the end of the gearbox instead,causing the piston to go back into the caliper and loose the brakes until you pump the pedal back up,That said though I ran mine for nearly two years with this set up with no hassles at all,Ive since sold the car to Fangio.

:blush:

Guest TonySmiff

Will check with my Mot tester at work and let you know about possible failers regarding wheel rub and lock out for reverse tommorrow

Drive shafts and gearbox mounts are the same as i am led to belive

Sign in to follow this