• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wildebeest

Drain Holes

Wildebeest

After being stationary for the last 5 days I've now got enough water in my driver's footwell to float a battleship and a couple of tortoises.

I've had a look through the other threads and I have come to the conclusion some is coming in through the aerial hole. It was dripping down when I drove it for the first time, but I'm sure there are more leaks elsewhere given the amount of water in the footwell.

Rear 3/4 windows have been fixed(I hope) with new seals - the rear footwells are slightly damp, but drier than they were.

Heater matrix is fine(I think) as it's blowing hot air nicely. The water is also fresh, and has not got coolant in it.

The carpet is lifted and the felt has out in the back footwells and the driver's side. The passenger side will be taken out over the weekend as will the complete carpet and seats. There's absolutely no point in putting the new felt down yet given the amount of water, plus once I fix the leaks drying the carpet will be quicker out of the car.

So... what next and where else is it leaking? Where should I check? Finally, I read about drain holes being blocked, but no further info apart from that - any clues anyone?

Edited by Wildebeest

Paintguy

As well as the ares you mention, mine had/has water coming in from around the bottom of the windscreen, and in through the door card.

The 'screen seal doesn't fit exactly in the NS bottom corner on my car. The outer part that you can see is fine, but when you lift that up, the inner part (that actually does the sealing) is a couple of mm away from the metal. I'm not exactly sure if this is the culprit, as I can only get water ingress in that area when i blast it with a pressure washer, but it's in such a position that water running up the bonnet when I'm driving is directed exactly at that area, so it may be causing the problem. When we eventually have some decent weather for it to dry out fully, I'll be filling it with some kind of non-setting sealant.

I also had a bit of water coming through the door card. It runs inside the door (as it should) but then appears right at the bottom of the card, where it should seal to the door. This then drips onto the inner sill, and down into the footwell. The card is now screwed on tight with my speaker pods, so it doesn't come through there any more :(

Guest ralphy1

sorry cocked up there!i took off door card ,and found drain hole blocked,cleared and also drilled new one,also rust hole where water prob came in,will deal with later date. :)

Wildebeest

I'll have a look on Monday, the car's at work at the moment. Cheers for the tips guys. once the carpet is out Ill put a ring of talc around the sills/ floor area to see for any other areas of leakage.

Sign in to follow this