• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Zed

Mi16 Only Hitting 120

Zed

Had my mi16 running for a good 4months or so now and i absolutely love it to pieces, everything seems to be running fine, idle rock stead and pulls like a train up to 7k.

When on the motorway it seems to run out of puff at 120 though, from what ive read they should pull easily up to 140?.

Ive just ordered a replacement fuel filter and ive recently changed my old 8v K&N for a bigger stainless steel cone.

Now im not too sure what else to check as the engine seems to be perfect other than this. any ideas?

1.9alloy running mi16 management and mi16 gearbox.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bren_1.3

check out gearbox ratios.

PsychoSimon

A reuilt one may hit 140 but it wouldnt be easy to get there. I think general consencus is aout 130, but if you have a high mileage engine, or something isnt quite right or even when the cam belt has been changed the timing is out slightly then it will all have an effect.

At those speeds with an mi box you are coming back out of the power band, and it really wouldnt take much to scrub off that 10mph

Adnic69

Don't really get that tbh. My 8v (spec below) will pull an indicated 130mph.

There must be something wrong with it to not get passed 120

pug309twin40s

thats not right.

an mi16 in a 205/309 should go round to 130+mph easy.

my mi16 goodwood when i first had it would go of the clock very easy and still pulling. even when it had shot piston rings it would still go past 130mph.

Zed

Ratio's seem to be fine....at 120 iirc its around 6300, so plenty still to go. Its due an oil change so ill change that over, change the plugs and stick some optimax in and see how it goes after that.

SweetBadger

I think you'd be lucky to get 140 out of a standard MI, but it should get up to 6500rpm in 5th (about 130mph) easily and still be pulling.

Think the top speed of a 405MI is about 134mph so the 205 should be about the same - top speed is more to do with air resistance not weight.

welshpug

question is why are you trying to pull 120+?

Dream Weaver

I did some high speed runs in mine at Elvington when I had the old std but knackered Mi engine fitted, and could only manage about 114mph flat out, though that was slight uphill into a facing wind.

Measured using proper gear as well.

kyepan

speedo aint that accurate at that speed, especially if the drive is missing teeth. it might be under reading or over reading

Rob Thomson

Last night I managed to wind the 1.6 upto 121 rus* indicated during a moment of boredom on the private road that links my house with Worcester. Think it might have had a tail wind, but even so I was amazed.

I'd say that either you engine or speedo is not in best health.

*Random Units of Speed - bears no resemblence what-so-ever to any other unit that might get me into trouble.

Edited by Rob Thomson

Dream Weaver

I had an indicated 138 RUS on my old 1.6, now that was frightening!! :lol:

maxi

For f***s sake....... the replys on his forum are getting worse and worse and worse. Why do people post if they dont have a clue????

All mi16 powered 205's should hit the rev limiter in 5th gear whether its running a 1600, mi or 1900 gearbox. Thats my personal experience. If it is not pulling hard then there is a problem. Whether its cam timing etc is anyones guess without further investigation.

Start off with a compression test, take the camblet cover off and check the timing marks line up. Its an mi for christ sake, 140's are easy and for those who say its not obviously havent driven many mis.

Speaking AGAIN from EXPERIENCE,

Maxi

GLPoomobile
For f***s sake....... the replys on his forum are getting worse and worse and worse. Why do people post if they dont have a clue????

All mi16 powered 205's should hit the rev limiter in 5th gear whether its running a 1600, mi or 1900 gearbox. Thats my personal experience. If it is not pulling hard then there is a problem. Whether its cam timing etc is anyones guess without further investigation.

Start off with a compression test, take the camblet cover off and check the timing marks line up. Its an mi for christ sake, 140's are easy and for those who say its not obviously havent driven many mis.

Maxi

Why don't you start your own Forum then?

Last time I checked we live in a country that is supposed to have freedom of speech, and most of the replies on this topic were from people relating their experience of driving an Mi.

Sorry for intruding on, and going off topic on <yet another> topic, but this annoyed me :lol:

EDIT: OK so about half the reples, not most them, are from people who've ownd an Mi! My point still stands though.

Edited by GLPoomobile

SweetBadger

Maxi

I am speaking from my experience - i've had 2 MI engines in my 205 both with good compression and timed up correctly, the one in it now has been totally rebuilt and has now got a catcams inlet camshaft which has made a marked improvement over standard.

In standard spec on an MI box both engines felt like they would have taken an age to get to the limiter if at all.

With the inlet camshaft it is now still pulling at 6900 rpm (as far as i got without running out of private road) So probably would make it to the limiter but bloody slowly!

As for hitting the limiter in fifth with a 1.9 box, that's just over 150mph! Not a chance with a standard MI unless going down a nice long slope with a tail wind! At these speeds weight has practically sod all to do with accelaration so how can putting an engine that does 134mph in a 405 into a 205 give it an extra 16mph?

With regards to the original question 120mph flat out is slow for an MI and if that speed is accurate then somethings not right.

Edited by SweetBadger

Higgy

I've run both my Mi engines in my 205 now, and have not got past 115 RUS (chicken!), my balls being the limiting factor :(:)

This is with a 1.6 'box on, but bear in mind this was on private roads similar to A & B type roads B) . I only tend to do 60 RUS on motorways, due to going mad with MIDDLE LANE HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (calm down Higgy, back down to 60 RUS.....)

So on A-B style 'private' roads, it felt fcuking scary. Although it did get to the indicated 115 RUS pretty quick :)

RobMGti

I dont want to bring up a point someone already mentioned, and also dont want to enrage Maxi to the point he chews his own arms off, but i would recommend testing it with a GPS Speed device. You would be amazed how bad some 205 speedos are, a re-Calibration should soon sort it.

Rob

GLPoomobile
I dont want to bring up a point someone already mentioned, and also dont want to enrage Maxi to the point he chews his own arms off, but i would recommend testing it with a GPS Speed device. You would be amazed how bad some 205 speedos are, a re-Calibration should soon sort it.

Rob

Indeed. Which combined with an inaccurate tacho could be all the explanation you need. The person who started this topic may have a perfectly healthy Mi16 that is actually topping out near it's natural rev limit, but the tacho and speedo could be way out. That may seem like too much of a coincidence but it could so easily be the case, especially if someone has had the needles off the dials in the past.

And that IS speaking from experience.

KRISKARRERA

My 405 has been tested up to an indicated 150mph, which if tested via GPS would probably be about 140.

Dream Weaver

There are too many other factors as well, rather than just car and engine - air temp, tyres pressures, fuel grade etc.

When I did my runs at Elvington I was flat out (although it was on a poor engine), but it was over 30 degrees celsius so the car was struggling all day with temps.

To context it, I was doing the quarter in 15.4, and loads of cars were suffering due to the heat.

Not to mention weight as well, i'm not the lightest and had a full tank of fuel. :(

Edited by Dream Weaver

taylorspug

Well mine pulls the limiter in 5th no problem, so some people must have some right clapped out MI motors in their cars.

As for the hilarious talk of knackered speedos/rev counters, think about it, the rev limiter is an ECU PARAMETER, even if the rev counter didnt work the limiter still would, so that theory doesnt work out at all... :( And the speedo can say whatever it likes, an MI with a 1.6 box will top out on the limiter around 135mph.

As Maxi has said, compression test, check the timing, id say the problem would have to fairly fundamental really. :rolleyes:

Bonez
My 405 has been tested up to an indicated 150mph, which if tested via GPS would probably be about 140.

they wil kris better aerodynamics than a 205 i say :rolleyes:

mine went up to 132 running 2 teeth out on the exhaust cam :( only reason it stopped there is because i didnt want to go any faster!!! it was still pulling lol

Zed

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have to admit though I was running normal 95ron fuel as thats all I could get driving home from the lakes...

Ill check the compression in the next couple of days and cam belt in the very near future.

The donor bx had 132k on the clock but I was told it had been rebuilt sometime in the previous few years.....no receipts though so more than likely a little tale!.

maxi
Why don't you start your own Forum then?

Last time I checked we live in a country that is supposed to have freedom of speech, and most of the replies on this topic were from people relating their experience of driving an Mi.

Sorry for intruding on, and going off topic on <yet another> topic, but this annoyed me :(

EDIT: OK so about half the reples, not most them, are from people who've ownd an Mi! My point still stands though.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Rushing in their both feet first without really knowing what you were posting about were we??? Sound familiar. In your vain attempt to prove your point, you have proved mine.

When you know something abut a topic, post. Until then, why not crack on with playing with swans......

Maxi

Edited by maxi

GLPoomobile
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Rushing in their both feet first without really knowing what you were posting about were we??? Sound familiar. In your vain attempt to prove your point, you have proved mine.

When you know something abut a topic, post. Until then, why not crack on with playing with swans......

Maxi

Maxi

Yes, I did rush in with both feet. Something I have a tendancy to do a lot when I get wound up about something. Shout crap, engage brain five minutes later, regret it and feel like a chump. But I never learn :) My continuing tendancy to post utter bull s*it on this forum is a very bad habit that I'm trying to ween myself off of, but not very successful to date (hence I'm typing this now).

Had I been feeling a little more diplomatic at the time I might have said something along these lines:

Maxi, you have a proven track record with 205s and clearly have a lot of knowledge to impart on this forum. I do wish you could share this knowledge in a slightly more gracious way than you have recently :P As I have not met you personally, I don't know what you are really like, but from recent postings you seem to have an air of arrogance about you which is not very pleasant, and could undermine the value of your advise. You seem to be getting more and more worked up about people giving advise not from experience, and so I'd ask you to bear in mind the following - 1) A lot of people do post from experience but you seem to dismiss anything that does not fit in with YOUR experience as bull s*it, 2) This is a forum, everyone has an opinion and ideas about stuff and I don't think it is fair to put other members off posting (particulary new guys) just because they may be made to feel like idiots with no value to add. I'd rather have 20 members discussing a problem and throwing ideas around than 5 members giving an implicit answer. Unless I want a problem fixed in the next 5 minutes of course :P

No doubt I'll continue intruding on topics and talking crap, and you'll pop in once in a while and get hacked off at people giving opinions that don't fit in with yours. But perhaps it would be benificial if we could both see the room for improvement ;)

And if I can get my hands on a decent Mi16/S16/GTi6 soon then maybe I'll have bit more experience to share :(

Sign in to follow this