• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Quick Rack

pug_ham

I have a 205 PAS rack that I have removed the ram on and I'm thinking of fitting it to my GTi, for anyone who has done this is it worthwhile?

I find the standard steering OK but thought that while I have the engine and everything out I could fit this if it is a good move.

I know it'll take a bit of getting used to after driving my diesel, even driving the standard rack on my GTi I've sometimes been turning in to much to soon due to the lack of body roll.

Would anyone recommend it?

Cheers for any feedback.

Graham. :D

blue1.9

I asked this a while ago....It seemed that a few people have done it and that they seem to like it...

I've actually got myself a complete PAS system that I'm going to have a go at fitting soon. My first GTi has PAS and when I got the second I found the std rack too slow....since I was thinking of putting the rack in I thought I may as well go the whole hog!

I'm just a bit nervous about having to lower the subframe to get the PAS rack in :D

Good luck with it

pug_ham
I asked this a while ago....It seemed that a few people have done it and that they seem to like it...

I've actually got myself a complete PAS system that I'm going to have a go at fitting soon. My first GTi has PAS and when I got the second I found the std rack too slow....since I was thinking of putting the rack in I thought I may as well go the whole hog!

I'm just a bit nervous about having to lower the subframe to get the PAS rack in :D

Good luck with it

It's nothing major lowering the front subframe but I can do this easily at the moment because the engine and gearbox are out of the car.

I might get the subframe powder coated while it's all out anyway.

I think I'm going to go for it anyway, the PAS rack is newer than the one on eht ecar AFAIK.

Cheers, Graham. :(

blue1.9

If the subframe lowering is fairly easy then you may as well give it a go....if you hate it, you can always change back (if you don't sell the std rack)...you'll just need the tracking doing again!

Will just be a bit heavier than the std rack at low speeds.

Good luck

Edited by blue1.9

mattcony

LOL, this has been going round in my head for a week or so but not managed to make a pst so I will tag along.

I am wanting a quicker rack as well, but have no PAS, do I fit the lot or just mod a rack to run with out the pump ?

Will it be ok with out the pump conected ?

Cheers

matt

Guest Admin

Matt you can run it without the pump connected but i'd recommend plugging all the holes up as you don't want a stone to jump in through one of the fluid feed holes and it lock you steering, could be fatal.

blue1.9

Finally found the response that I got when I asked this question ages ago (still haven't got round to doing it though - maybe this weekend! :D )

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...&t=1529&hl=rack

To fit the PAS rack you need the rack and the intermediate steering shaft to go with it. I decided that if I was going to fit the PAS rack without the pipes, pump etc I'd try to blank the connections for the pipes into the rack to avoid corrosion/crud collecting there and preventing the full PAS system being installed later.

HTH

Alex

blue1.9
Matt you can run it without the pump connected but i'd recommend plugging all the holes up as you don't want a stone to jump in through one of the fluid feed holes and it lock you steering, could be fatal.

:D

Probably a much better reason to plug the holes than a little corrosion....

pug_ham

I'm only fitting the rack, none of the other bits for the PAS system.

I'm going to blank off the pipe inlets on the rack body, I've removed the ram from the rack already and I might put some extra grease in the pipe holes before blanking them off. I have the lower column shaft, evrything was removed from my diesel when the pump started making noises.

IMO the steering shouldn't be any heavier with all this removed, just quicker acting. :(

Removing the front subframe can't be that hard as long as all the bolts come undone nicely and I'll replace them when I refit it.

I don't need to remove it because with the engine out I have masses of space to fit the rack from the engine bay. :D

I'll take off the front subframe tomorrow hopefully and sort out getting it painted soon after.

I've started to rebuild my engine so things are coming together nicely, just waiting for my head and cam from Hiflow when Andy gets back from holiday.

Graham. :D

Miles

I think Kris K might have this set up on his motor, I know that all 309 GTi's had PAS and with his 16v lump in I know it doesn't run with it, Might be completly wrong thou

jackherer

I removed the PAS stuff but kept the rack when I did my Mi16 swap...

it works really well, the standard rack now feels like driving a tractor in comparison.

the holes are easy to plug with bolts of the correct size.

CJ_2_0_5

Just to add...

Lowering the subframe is not a big problem, just make sure you lower it slowly and don't bend the gear linkages.

The main reason for lowering the subframe is to allow the rack and ram to slide into position. If you don't have the ram fitted there may be enough room without lowering the subframe?? :D Can't remember myself whether this is the case, perhaps jack can comment.

Cheers

CJ

jackherer

I didn't actually remove my rack, just the ram and I did it with the engine out. I would certainly try with the subframe in place first though as it might well fit through without the ram.

pug_ham

Thanks everyone, I don't think the rack will fit with the subframe in place if the engine bay is full, the height of the pinion body (due to where the pipes go in to the body) is more than on a non-pas rack so it fouls the body when you try to pull it out of the bay.

I had a look today and I'm going to cut of the bar at the outer and of the body near the bellows too and then fit it.

Maybe tomorrow.

Graham. :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this