• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
david932

Gearbox Choice

david932

for my gti6 conversion i have aquired a xsara vts box. the cars going to be used for track purpose's aswell as a fast road toy. i noticed alot of people use the 1.6gti or the mi box and i was wondering if anyone knew the difference in ratios/ final drives between these three. also in you guy's experience whats a good compromise in terms of ratios and final drives for this coversion?

thanks

boombang

Gti-6 is a torquey engine and the VTS box should be well matched, and decent for a daily driver, or car mainly used on road.

I wouldn't go for a 1.6 unless it is for track only.

If it was a rally, sprint or race car for short circuits, the 1.6 with Mi final drive makes for an intense experience (albeit with a useless 1st gear).

I've had a slightly tuned 1.9 Mi16 on a couple of boxes and it was at its best with a 1.6 box with Mi final drive. On a 1.9 box it was lifeless.

Mate had same spec but when tuned the engine more (circa 200bhp) the 1.6 Mi FD box was too short and it was far more useable with an S16 box, almost identical to the Xsara VTS box.

Baz

Or even better a 1.9 box with an Mi final, same as 1.6 ratios but a better first gear! :(

boombang

That is in fact what I have now, just not able to test it yet...

better get my arse into gear eh?

Baz
That is in fact what I have now, just not able to test it yet...

better get my arse into gear eh?

:) funnily enough, me too!! :(:o

david932

cool, think i'll just stick with the vts box then as i imagine it's well suited to the engine

Baz

Yeah i think the VTS box has similar ratios to an Mi/S16 box, i run onw with an Mi in my road 205 and it's well suited, nice and short where needed but with a nice 4th and 5th. :(

david932

before i ditch the 6 box, am i right in thinking the vts box has better low down ratio's than the gti 6 box?

Baz

It really depends what you want to use it for, VTS box has similar first 1,2,3rd as a 1.6 box, so short, but a tad longer iirc, with slightly loger 4th and 5th, where as a Gti6 is like a 1.6 box 1-5th, then with a 1.9 5th as 6th gear.

david932

it's gonna be a track/second car...that gti6 box does sound very appealing now tho. is there any way you can modify a gti6 steering rack and column to fit a 205?

Baz
it's gonna be a track/second car...that gti6 box does sound very appealing now tho. is there any way you can modify a gti6 steering rack and column to fit a 205?

Why would u want to do that? I wouldn't have thought it's be economical, although anything's possible i suppose.

A few people love the '6 box for all uses but personally if its a 2nd car/track toy, a 1.6 box is where it's at and easiest, and still quite capable of the naughty side of 120! :wub:

david932

i read somewhere that the 6 rack had different ratio's turning left and right to compensate for the box being in the way, thus allowing a better turning circle. the only thing thats put me of a 1.6 box is cruising at 70 @5000rpm

Sign in to follow this