• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sunil_2.0Fiesta

Electrical Problem, Headlights, Sidelights...

sunil_2.0Fiesta

My H reg 1.6 GTI has developed a problem. First the drivers front indicator stopped working, changed the bulb and relay and still the same.

Few days later Drivers headlight stops working and passengers sidelight. replaced bth headlights and sidelights and still the same.

Anyone know what i should check next. Is this a common problem?

Edited by sunil_2.0Fiesta

steve@cornwall
My H reg 1.6 GTI has developed a problem. First the drivers front indicator stopped working, changed the bulb and relay and still the same.

Few days later Drivers headlight stops working and passengers sidelight. replaced bth headlights and sidelights and still the same.

Anyone know what i should check next. Is this a common problem?

there should be an earth connection (yellow block,I think) mounted on the front panel, slightly inboard of each headlight. It's just a block of male spade connectors that individual earths plug into. these corrode,giving poor contact and may be able to clean the connections to cure these problems- or may disintegrate when you touch it, leaving the solution to your ingenuity ;) They may have little plastic "shower caps" fitted over them

sunil_2.0Fiesta
there should be an earth connection (yellow block,I think) mounted on the front panel, slightly inboard of each headlight. It's just a block of male spade connectors that individual earths plug into. these corrode,giving poor contact and may be able to clean the connections to cure these problems- or may disintegrate when you touch it, leaving the solution to your ingenuity :wub: They may have little plastic "shower caps" fitted over them

Cheers mate. I had look last night and they didnt look in that bad nick. i WD40'd them anyways and it made no difference. Any other ideas??

Thanks

sunil_2.0Fiesta

Anyone got any other ideas?

Ive noticed the full beam dash light is always dimily lit and if you hit full beam the fogs come on and stay on until you completely turn the lights off

Phil H

take off the previously mentioned earth connector and clean the contact points back to bare metal on the body and teh connector, refit with a thin smear of vaseline.

sunil_2.0Fiesta
take off the previously mentioned earth connector and clean the contact points back to bare metal on the body and teh connector, refit with a thin smear of vaseline.

Im still getting the same problem.

Could somone tell me where all the earth points are on a 205 and ill check them all and give them a good clean.

Thanks

Simes
Im still getting the same problem.

Could somone tell me where all the earth points are on a 205 and ill check them all and give them a good clean.

Thanks

The ones your concerned with are behind each headlamp.

sunil_2.0Fiesta
The ones your concerned with are behind each headlamp.

are you sure. All i can see is a yellow plug that goes down under the rad to the other headlight then goes into the bulkhead. Cant seem to see any earth points to the chassis coming off

sunil_2.0Fiesta

is this relay anything to do with the headlight?

relay.jpg

sunil_2.0Fiesta

anyone???

Craigb

what are the wire numbers going to the relay ?

sunil_2.0Fiesta
what are the wire numbers going to the relay ?

what do you mean mate

Craigb
what do you mean mate

If you take a close look at the realy , the wires that are connected to it will have numbers printed on them .

fencer

mine is disconnected for some strange reason ... probably cos its not a GTI but i presume that should mean that it has got nothing to do with the headlights

sunil_2.0Fiesta

Ive sorted this now, well the headlights anyways. Steve was right in his first post about the block connector. I was just looking at the wrong connector doh. Noticed the one he was on about this weekend after id spent awhile cleaning up every other earth i could find lol

Front drivers indicator is still not working but at least the headlights are sorted. Gonna have a go at sorting the indicator out this weekend.

steve@cornwall
Ive sorted this now, well the headlights anyways. Steve was right in his first post about the block connector. I was just looking at the wrong connector doh. Noticed the one he was on about this weekend after id spent awhile cleaning up every other earth i could find lol

Front drivers indicator is still not working but at least the headlights are sorted. Gonna have a go at sorting the indicator out this weekend.

Check the bulb holder on the indicator, make sure the contacts are clean and gently prise the bottom (+) contact upwards to make sure its a good springy connection to the bottom of the bulb.

You could swap holders o/s to n/s first to check if this is the prob

sunil_2.0Fiesta
Check the bulb holder on the indicator, make sure the contacts are clean and gently prise the bottom (+) contact upwards to make sure its a good springy connection to the bottom of the bulb.

You could swap holders o/s to n/s first to check if this is the prob

Ill give that ago. Thanks for your help mate :)

Sign in to follow this