• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cheesy-peas

Which Size Exhaust.

Guest cheesy-peas

hiya ive got a standard 1.9mi16 engine in my 205 and ive got a hole in the exhaust. Currently it is 3 inch dia the whole through. Im going to build my own system and replace it, what size internal diameter is best 3 or 2 1/2 or any other size?cheers

Ahl

Im purely going by the general concensus on here, but most standard mi16's seem to make full power (and more) on the standard exhaust, 2.5"

I'd go for a good standard make exhaust like Arvin-Mettler.

smckeown

the stabndard pipe isnt as large as 2.5" is it ?

Ryan

Standard I think is 2.5" in the downpipe, but it narrows to 2" before the joint with the centre section.

welshpug

I think petert or someone said 2" for 8 valve and 2.25" for 16Valve

bales
hiya ive got a standard 1.9mi16 engine in my 205 and ive got a hole in the exhaust. Currently it is 3 inch dia the whole through. Im going to build my own system and replace it, what size internal diameter is best 3 or 2 1/2 or any other size?cheers

3" Christ! Thats a HOOOOGE diameter for a standard N/A car, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't want anything much above 2" unless you have a seriously tuned engine. The downpipe may be 2.5" like on an 8v but I think it then reduces down to 2" and you would be better off maintaining that for the whole exhaust. You must have lost pretty much all your midrange using an exhaust that big :D

I am using 2.5" on my car and that is a turbo!!

Exhaust tubing generally seems to be given by OD so you need to know the gauge to work out the ID, but most people tend to just use the OD when the say what diameter the exhaust is.

Guest cheesy-peas
3" Christ! Thats a HOOOOGE diameter for a standard N/A car, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't want anything much above 2" unless you have a seriously tuned engine. The downpipe may be 2.5" like on an 8v but I think it then reduces down to 2" and you would be better off maintaining that for the whole exhaust. You must have lost pretty much all your midrange using an exhaust that big :D

I am using 2.5" on my car and that is a turbo!!

Exhaust tubing generally seems to be given by OD so you need to know the gauge to work out the ID, but most people tend to just use the OD when the say what diameter the exhaust is.

Thanks people. I thought 3" was too much aswell,its too noisy sat in the car aswell. Does anyone reccomend powerflows work becasue i was thinking either them or building my own from jetex products?Or maybe even a standard 205 system.

Edited by cheesy-peas

sonofsam

I can reccomend the Jetex products, built a complete system with them for my Turbo.

They are a nice plug and play affair, as in one end of the pipe has been swaged out,

so a pipe of the same diameter can easily be slotted in and clamped up, works a treat and doesnt cost the earth.

Guest cheesy-peas

nice one thanks,i reckon im going to get them from demon tweeks unless theres a better place out there?

sport1901966

General rule is for anything up to 2.0 is 1.5'' to 2.25'', then from 2.0 about 2.25'' to 2.5'', then obviously when you get to massive engines/tuned engines/forced induction 2.5'' and up

Guest cheesy-peas

just out of interest what diameter is a standard 205 system?Because i might be better sticking to one of those with matbe a different backbox for abit of roar?

bales

I think ph1 is 1 7/8 and the later models were 2"

My omp grp N is actually 1 7/8"

Sign in to follow this