• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grez4

8 Valve Turbo's - Projects/experiences

Grez4

Evening all,

I know If I was to do a search I may find plenty of old turbo technics posts etc, but Iam after a bit of a discussion on current/completed engines.

Basically I have my old tt engine stipped and Iam ready to start rebuilding, I know we all have our own opinions on certain things but Iam after a bit of first hand experience from people that have turbo'd 8 valves.

Before the stirp down I was moe than happy with the engine, and would much prefer it to my mi any day. Although I fancy going a bit wild on the rebuild, its never going to be in my everyday drive again so I fancy strengthening and increasing power.

My main concern at the minute is what camshaft????????????? What are you all using and what do you think of it in comparison the the common 1.9 cam - I understand many people will say there is no point in changing the cam but I would like to hear from anyone thats running something different

Hilgie

Have you done a search? The EXACT same question was asked a few days ago.

Generally the 2.0-8V N/A camshaft seems a good choice. The 130bhp cam has too much overlap which will decrease power. The 122bhp DKZ camshaft is another good choice, but apparently hard to find in the UK.

Grez4

Nothing really found on search, anyone out there recently changed cam?

tom_m

there are at least three other topics active at the moment with questions such as this one! does no one use their eyes anymore? i thought the new user registration was designed to cut down on this?

sonofsam

All you would need to do is : Click Get active topics for last two weeks at the bottom of the page and read every topic with turbo in the title to find them.

Or type in 'turbo cam' 'turbo camshaft' on the main search function.

Malachy

dont be so harsh on new people its a forum and you should welcome new guys :D

unfortunatly not everyone is as pc literate as most, i try to imagine my dad posting on forums and asking for advise :P

as for his question if anybody has actually changed the cam and noticed a difference, its a good one in all honesty as the answers so far have been "my mate bob has" or "some guy in holland has" etc etc not "yes i have and i have noticed XYZ difference in driveability"

here is a link to some of the threads

GLPoomobile

Malachy, I don't think those responses were harsh. I don't like to see new members given a hard time either as it gives the forum a bad feel (although I am guilty of a bit of piss taking on the odd occassion :P ).

I know the search engine is crap unless you really know how to use it - I posted this in the comments and suggestions section recently - but in all honesty I find it unbelievable that a search under Turbo did not bring up anything relevant B) Like wise a quick skim through the currently active topics would have shown the other turbo ones that are - surprise surprise - currently active :D

I have checked out a few other forums recently as I'm considering replacing the pug with something else, and so I know that when you join a new forum the amount of info you have to trawl thrugh to find some basic answers can be overwhelming. But on the other side of the coin, for regular members like me there is nothing worse than seeing the same old questions being posted time and time again. Everytime there is an influx of new members (as there has been recently) you can guarantee that you will see the same questions being rehashed. I guess it is only human nature, and we don't all have hours of dispensible time to search the forum.

Sorry for the off topic B), just saying that new members need to use the search (as we all should), nobody has been harsh on the guy etc etc.

Grez4

Guys there is no need to respond in that way, my post has nothing to do with how well I can use a search facility. Perhaps I phrased the question wrong I don't know. If you have nothing of any substance to add then surely you could spend your time more constructively, rather than attacking me.

johnnyp

hi mate iam currently rebuilding my TT i have used a 1.9 mi16 crank, flywheel, clutch, liners and also the mi16 block as those have piston spraybars

also iam using the ally sump. As for the top end it is a standerd rebuilt cylinder head i have not decided what cam to use and was thinking of useing the 2.0 8v cam i have also changed to an emerald ecu

Johnny

Edited by johnnyp

Grez4
hi mate iam currently rebuilding my TT i have used a 1.9 mi16 crank, flywheel, clutch, liners and also the mi16 block as those have piston spraybars

also iam using the ally sump. As for the top end it is a standerd rebuilt cylinder head i have not decided what cam to use and was thinking of useing the 2.0 8v cam i have also changed to an emerald ecu

Johnny

Hi jonny

was you running standard tt equipment before?

Think I will be going the mi route for the bottom end aswell. Do you know anyone running a 2.0 8v cam? would be good to get their views on it?

Let me know how things progress - always good to see an engine coming together

johnnyp

yes mine was a standerd TT engine

i was in the proses of rebuilding my car here a few pics

car76gd.th.jpg

car11ht.th.jpg

car25cg.th.jpg

car45jk.th.jpg

a few picks of my engine i had no intention of rebuilding at this point as it was running really nice so i just cleaned it up and painted it

car38ad.th.jpg

dimma15cy.th.jpg

dimma37zh.th.jpg

TT13.th.jpg

unfortanlty my engine saw all the work i had done to the rest of the car and decided it wonted to make my wallet cry. So it decided to melt a piston :D this is why i decided to use the mi16 bottom end

Johnny

saveloy

A melted piston is a fuelling issue. The Mi16 bottom end won't help you with that particular matter. In my experience the oil spray bars aren't necessary. Oil temp is easily controlled with a correctly sized cooler.

Grez4
A melted piston is a fuelling issue. The Mi16 bottom end won't help you with that particular matter. In my experience the oil spray bars aren't necessary. Oil temp is easily controlled with a correctly sized cooler.

I agree, not enough fuel = meltdown

Perhaps he is not using the Mi bottom end to prevent this in the future? Hard to say without more detail.

If it was on the lean side then no doubt you could blame it on a poorly operating 5th injector.!!

Grez4

Looks like the car is coming along nicely tho, well done

johnnyp

sorry its not a melted piston rather a crushed piston due to a object entering the cylinder and getting lodged between the linner and piston.

the car only needs the engine building and fitting a bit of wireing and the front seats fitting then of to be maped.

Johnny

TT205

I was just about to say that I thought I remembered Saveloy fitting a non-GTI cam - but since he has responded to this post and not said so - maybe not. Possibly it was Phyr that did it, but he ultimatley sold his engine - anyone remember about the cam? - Did someone off here buy his head? Or what about MattCony - who bought his engine? What cam did he have

I know I was advised to use a less lairy cam if I had gone for more boost, but my engine (bar the turbo and manifold) was trouble free during the time I had it, so I never had a rebuild

TEKNOPUG

Cat-cams sell an 8v turbo specific cam - it lists the specs but I can't remember off the top of my head. Matt @ QEP has sold some but has not had any feedback positive or negative from them.

saveloy

Not me, I'm on a standard cam. If memory serves me well I think it was Phyr.

tom_m
Cat-cams sell an 8v turbo specific cam - it lists the specs but I can't remember off the top of my head. Matt @ QEP has sold some but has not had any feedback positive or negative from them.

similar to the 1.9 cam but with more lift and less overlap :wub:

Grez4

Be intresting to see, a comment from someone who has proven figures showing catcams against 1.9

Must be someone???

205turbo

i use a 270o cam on mine works fine, i have a full race cylinder head so this might be the reason it worked ok

Grez4

think I may give catcams a try, dependent on price and spec.

Henry Yorke

Graham,

I have sent you some info that may assist :(

cheers,

Henry

Sign in to follow this