• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Crankshaft And Liner Removal

matt-k

After finding the block on my ally mi16 engine was cracked (whole bottom corner came off in my hand!) Ive decided to get a new block and so i'm stripping down the bust one now. Ive not done this before and was wondering if there was anything i should know before i start or is it simply un bolt and pull off job! Also how do you remove the liners are they bolted in?

Thanks for any input? :)

brianthemagical

Ive only had experience with 8v's but they can't be that dissimilar. Just take out the crank. i discovered after 1.5hr's, i hurt my hand and ruining my block by belting it with a lump hammer and pry bar (the block wasn't to be used anyway) that there is a bolt that goes from the outside of the engine into the centre main bearing cap. then the pistons. Liners come out with a lightish tap. the liners go up, out of the block, just incase you didn't know. i also found it slightly difficult to get the liner out with the piston in but that may have been because the crank was in the way.

Edited by brianthemagical

benlilly

A Haynes manual is probably a good start but here are a few other ponts I think are helpful.

Get yourself lots of small boxes and/or bags and a permanent marker so that you can label everything and an engine stand makes the whole job alot easier if you can borrow or buy one. I think Machine Mart have them for about £60.

A centre punch and hammer is also useful so you can easily number up the oily con rods. Punch 1,2,3 or 4 dots on the side of the rod according to where they are in the block. This will stop you from mixing up the rods and their caps.

The liners aren't fixed in, they are simply clamped between the head and a platfom in the block with an 'o' ring underneath them. The Haynes manual says to push the piston/rod assemblies out of the liners (this is what I started doing) but I think it is probably easier to take out the piston, rod and liner all in one go.

j_turnell

Get yourself a good pair of grips for the main bearing caps as they can be a pain in the arse, especially cylinder 2 with the thrust washers.

Remember the 2 13mm bolts on the side of the block aswell, otherwise the crank deff wont come out.

Personally i remove a big end cap, mark it then tap the piston out the liner, turning the crank often helps to get access, knock it out with a wooden malet or alike as not to damage it then put the big end cap on the rod and mark the rod so they dont get mixed up. Do this for all 4 then its a case of knocking the liners out also using something from underneath that wont damage them. Giving them a wiggle often helps, but obv dont use grips on these othewise they will get damaged.

Sign in to follow this