• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

T3 Discharge Flange With Internal Wastegate And V-band

sonofsam

Hi Folks,

Yes more Turbo talk im afraid.

After receiving my T3 this morning, have already started to think about fitting, lol

Having looked at numerous flanges! I managed to find one that kept the internal wastegate, can't see me stretching to the price of an external one really.

So does this seem like a good solution.t35.jpg

It's off american ebay and works out to be about £40 delivered.

Its made from cast iron too. Im guessing that the 2.5" V band allows a stainless steel flange to be joined

via a clamp, then you weld the downpipe to the flange? As I know, it's not easy welding cast to stainless.

Is this a good option as opposed to trying to source a complete RST flange and elbow, wich may not be the right orientation.

Sam.

Sam

That's a pretty cheap setup for the solution you need. Vband is getting more and more popular.

inferno

t3 elbow from an rst turbo will not fit so go for it. i dont have room for a actuator so thats why im going external...

tom_m

looks like an outstanding solution mate, good find!

sonofsam

Excellent, cheers Guys, just what I wanted to hear :)

Hilgie

looks good, but I'd go external and fit a nice screamer pipe :)

inferno

get one of these if you want to go external... cheepest ive found so far is 29£ from OZ!t3/4 flange with dump hole

Edited by inferno

sonofsam

Ta, seen those too.

Awe booger I knew this would happen, just bought that flange and know you guys are trying to talk me into

an external wastegate :(:ph34r:

Screamer pipes are cool, but only in the right element I feel ;) and if you beleive everything you read on the net, could be spitting flames, killing old ladies with a drive by and getting pawned by the babylon, although my exhaust is a bit on the quiet side at the moment :D

I like the idea of having a quick release DP though with the v-band system, can get red of those bloody annoying bolts that are a complete pain to get too on my car!

inferno

as i said im going external for space issues alone, vband sounds intresting though, might look into makeing it up with those too.

sonofsam

I know mate, just me being silly :D

Am I going to need a gasket with this little beauty?

tom_m

funny you should mention this i found some on ebay the other day, 3in only tho i'm afraid.

in theory thay are needed because the faces should be flush and to my knowelege no one manufactures them (bar the ones on ebay that is) but if you're worried you could always throw some locktite 5920 in there when you assemble it, that should see you right

edit: doh! ignore the above i'm talking about v-bands up there ^^^

yes you should be able to get a t3 discharge flange gasket, i'd certainly use one of then between this and the turbo, just find a car the t3 came on and find the cheapest supplier :)

Edited by tom_m

phatgti

excuse my ignorance as i'm not up to date on current fads but what is a screamer pipe?

Sounds like the latest boy racer craze - does it improve bhp/torque or anything worthwhile?

Saw that recent skyline screamer pipe vid on youtube that was posted on here and it just sounded like a skyline to me.

I must be getting old :)

tom_m
excuse my ignorance as i'm not up to date on current fads but what is a screamer pipe?

Sounds like the latest boy racer craze - does it improve bhp/torque or anything worthwhile?

Saw that recent skyline screamer pipe vid on youtube that was posted on here and it just sounded like a skyline to me.

I must be getting old :)

sam's solution is just an easier way to get the exhaust pipe to fit to the turbo, and nothing to do with screamer pipes.

divorced wastegate flow/external wastegates do improve performance, but its not really necessary unless you're going for the last 1/100th really and neither necessitate screamer pipes, they are rice fad afaik

pugrallye

screamer pipes are donkeys years old, although only becoming 'faddish' now, cars like F40 had them fitted as std, instead of wastegate diverting into exhaust system it runs a dedicated pipe to the atmosphere, no real power benefit unless you have a stupidly large turbo and then its more of a lag reduction thing

And.. you can buy gaskets for bothh vband and flange ends, both normally made out of thin brass if they are decent ones, search manufacturers such as VW or subaru since that looks similar to an IHI flange pattern (like TD golf)

Edited by pugrallye

sonofsam

Thanks for the info Gents.

Can make those Vband gaskets myself hopefully then! Not much luck with the other ones, but I'll keep on looking and update this thread in time.

Sign in to follow this