• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikey_p

Unable To Fit Standard Gear Knob! Suggestions?

mikey_p

Unfortunatly my 205 GTI (reverse below 5th) came with a god awful aftermarket gear knob (pointy with brushed aluminium and wood effect :wacko:). To fit this, the previous owner x 2 has sawn part of the gear stick off and so my nice new standard one purchased from eBay doesn't fit. I'm therefore probably going to have to buy an aftermarket one (unless it's easy to fit a new gear stick?).

Does anyone know where I could get an inoffensive, black, understated aftermarket gear knob that will be able to bolt onto the gear stick? I have had a look on Demon Tweeks and Halfrauds and the like and there all pretty fugly and expensive.

Cheers,

Mike

p.s. im new here so hi all ;)

welshpug

just replace the stick with one from a scrappy.

Doof

Exactly the same as mine, its quite annoying but i've been driving round changing gears with a seriously sharp gearstick mashing my hands up for about 2 weeks now. Makes for a really short shift though because the stick is so short haha :wacko:

I'm gonna get a new gearstick so i can put my nice new OE one on. Keep the orignal ;)

mikey_p

Cheers. Yeah I think I will look at changing the gear stick, i'm a bit of a mechanical numpty though so I have no idea how to do it. I'll have a search on here and see whats said. I would definatly much rather have the standard one, rather then the an aftermarket one.

fencer

if i remember correctly its pretty easy to replace the stick, mind you, you wont do it in 5min. If it was my PUG i would replace the stick

mikey_p
I got one of these in all-black anodised aluminium for £6.99 delivered. Can recommend, its good quality :)

http://www.nicenewcar.co.uk/parts/part-2081.html

§

Cheers for the link, but you are 1 day too late. I was riding past Halfrauds yesterday so stopped off. Thankfully they had the most simplest and sort of "cheapest" (£29 :D ) gear knob in so I purchased that.

But it's ok, because it's Momo and i've been assured it will fixed my seized rear beam, and add 15bhp to the engine so i'm happy :D .

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId=70563#

funkymofo

Yeah that momo one is pretty similar to the one that came on my car.

From previous experience I wouldnt use a gearknob made of any kind of metal without a leather covering. They become ridiculously hot in summer and seriously, painfully cold in winter.

Sign in to follow this