• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Twin Dellorto 40's Advice Please ...

johnnyboy666

right i've just got my twin dellorto 40's through the post (got em off ebay)and i'm looking for a little bit of advice before i get on and fit them,

firstly i've been told that this should be a direct fit but i'm just wondering if anybody can give me a second opinion- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-106-306-1600...1QQcmdZViewItem

or would a tu24 inlet manifold fit?

secondly i'll be needing to strip them down and get a rebuild kit for them, but i was wondering if anybody knows the ideal jet sizes etc i should get (engine is otherwise standard at the moment but will be upgraded with 4-2-1 exhaust mani and fast road cam after the carbs go on hopefully)

thirdly will i need an electronic fuel pump and pressure regulator if so how do i fit them? or will the standard suffice

and finally if anybody has any advice at all or a step by step guide to fitting, that much be hugely appreciated

thanks

for your time

john :)

macaroni

This should help with jet selection...

http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/dellorto.htm

The standard fuel pump should suffice, as I have twin 45s on my Matra with aa standard pump. For the price, ~£10, I would renew the fuel pump.

Fitting should be fairly straightforward, providing the manifold doesn't foul the top engine mounting. Not sure if those ebay ones do, but I guess if they don't mention 205, they won't fit.

Try a firm called Chadil for the inlet manifold and see me for the exhaust manifold.

johnnyboy666

thanks macaroni, ive emailed chadil regarding prices etc.

do you know when the next group buy will be for the manifolds? cos i will be wanting one :)

trogboy

Hi John,

I assume that you have a 1360 8V engine which you are hoping to put these on from something like an XS? If so I don't think this manifold will fit as the port spacings are different on the 1600 heads. Similarly they are slightly different on the TU24 head as well, plus the TU24 manifold requires the use of the rubber adapter plates to fit the carbs to the manifold and these can be tricky to get hold of. Chadil seem to be the poeple to speak to for a manifold.

The standard fuel pump should cope no problem.

Assuming again that you are using an alloy block 1360 engine then you are going to have to modify the left hand engine mount to allow the manifold room to fit. There are a couple of ways of doing this. I chose to completly grind away the innermost mounting point for the mount on the water pump housing, and get a friend to make up a steel engine mount which uses the two remaining studs and 3 no. bolts into some unused holes in the left hand face of the water pump housing.

It's all good fun.

macaroni

Johnnyboy,

add your name to the list in the group buy section and if the price is OK for you, as soon as we get 4 names, I can get one going. They will be cheaper the more people want one.

Antony

johnnyboy666

thanks trogboy, yes i forgot to mention its a roland garros so basically an xs, all sounds like good fun :wacko:

and macaroni i'll put me name down as soon as i get rid of my pain in the arse 306 which should be the end of the week i hope

cheers guys

stu_woac

the chadil one should cost you 160 plus p&p

you will need to cut the mount away for this, I managed to weld mine afther cutting the third bolt hole complety off the top part,, and grin a shape

http://www.timotorsport.co.uk/ another place to get a manifold and you may not need to cut the mount you will have to ask

I also have a stage 3 head for sale if your intrested

johnnyboy666

ah so i assume you are stu_wabc on ebay? i did have my eye on that :blink:

one quick question about the manifolds tho, on the original there is a coolant hose running below the carb isnt there? what happens to this? i had seen the timotorsport one but i enquired and with vat and postage it comes to about £230, but that might be reasonable if it means i dont need to cut the mount, i'll have to send them an email i suppose

does anybody have any photos of the cut away mount so i can see whats involved?

ta

stu_woac

I'll take a pic of mine how I've done it in a mo, for you

the colant hose gets blocked off as you wont be running water through the manifold anymore with these manifolds the orignal has water ways in it

p.s. might be me :)

Edited by stu_woac

johnnyboy666

cheers matey

(i thought it was a suspiciously similar name)

:)

stu_woac

they mean completely different things tho :)

johnnyboy666

hmm suspicious...

cheers for the pics mate, ive tried to send an email to timotorsport to ask about the mount chopping but hotmail is beig ghey at the mo so i'll try again tomoro

johnnyboy666

hmm, its just occured to me that these carbs have printed on them 'dhla40 H' does anybody know what the h means?

ta in advance

stu_woac

they dont have the adjustable air corrector for

the idle jet like the other dhla's

johnnyboy666

does that mean theyll be harder to tune to my engine or just idle a little strangely?

stu_woac

makes not alot of difference the dcoe doesnt run with ajustable air correctors either

johnnyboy666

luverly jubly then

jonnygoodhand

Hi.

Just wondered how you got on with these carbs?

I've recently purchased a set of Dellorto DHLA40 carbs (original eBay listing) and took them along to my local tuning garage to have them fitted and fully set-up on my TU3s engine.

They rang me up on friday to tell me that they are not suitable for a small capacity engine as they are 'emission type' carbs originally intended for a higher capacity engine, and recommended that I buy a set of Weber DCOEs.

The full code on the carb (I think, as they are still at the garage) is DHLA 40 H.

Has anyone else heard of this before? Or do you reckon the garage is trying it on?

Cheers, John.

PS Hello everyone. I own a 205 Rallye which has recently recieved a new TU3S engine and will hopefully have nice set of twin carbs running on it soon!

trogboy

I can't think of a reason why these carbs would be any less suitable for a small capacity engine. Often emissions carbs are more difficult to tune simply because they are not what they are used to.

Perhaps the garage doesn't have a full set of Dellorto jets or they think it needs difierent chokes which they don't have and they're trying to fob you off for that reason.

johnnyboy666

well me being the lazy bum that i am, i havent actually got round to fitting mine yet as i still havent got round to getting a manifold (mainly because im skint after spending all me money in a strip club tuther night lol) but when i win the lottery (yeh right) or come into some cash i'll get on with it, at the mo i've just got some refurb kits for em and im waitin for the right size jets etc to pop up on ebay to see if i can get em runnin before takin them to get set up properly :)

jonnygoodhand

Thanks for the info guys.

I've instructed the garage to fit a new set of webers as I really need my car back ASAP, and the only other option was to have the car back with its original manifold/carb.

Ended up a bit out of pocket, but will hopefully claw some money back by selling the original dellortos...

bren_1.3

much ado about nothing then.

johnnyboy666

just out of interest, how much did the garage charge you to fit and tune the carbs?

jonnygoodhand
just out of interest, how much did the garage charge you to fit and tune the carbs?

I'm bracing myself for the final bill, as they're being very vague about it. Will hopefully find out tomorrow.

They originally told me that a typical set-up costs between £100 and £300. I took the car to the garage last Monday and explained that I'd also like them to fit the carbs and left it (and all the bits) with them.

It wasn't until Friday that they called me to say they had the carbs running on the car but were having trouble setting them up correctly as they are 'emission type'. So I popped along on Saturday to discuss it further which is when they told me the bill was already at £500 and that there was little else they could do with carbs and suggested I either purchase a set of Webers (new inc. linkage for £750) or put the old manifold/carb back on the car.

As I didn't want to spend £500 and leave the garage with exactly the same set-up as I arrived, I opted for the new Webers. Of course, the Webers also have to be set-up correctly so I'm going to be looking at total bill of around £1500! I just hope the garage aren't taking the mickey and will (fingers crossed) offer me some sort of deal.

But like I say, they're being very vague and there's a lot of teeth sucking going on!

johnnyboy666

oo i know the feeling too well, i always tend to leave the garage with empty pockets:( well it should put a smile on yer face when u drive off a little quicker than you arrived lol

Sign in to follow this