• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Wahey Kris Fcuks Up His Spring Change

KRISKARRERA

Task: Take off 25mm Ventura Lowering springs and replace with standard springs.

Spring compressors were too long - i.e when the spring was compressed there was no room to lift the strut out of the hub. So then I hacksawed the compressors' threaded shaft down a bit and finally got the whole thing out. But now they're too short to compress the standard springs (cos obviously standard springs are higher) enough to get it all back together!!

I wanted to shout "f***ING CARS!!!!" really very loudly. But didn't.

Anyway, the cause of all this grief is not realising that I had to have a certain type of compressor - I didn't realise I needed to have spring compressors that have a square/hex section on the bottom of the thread.

This is the type I bought: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PIECE-SPRING-COMPR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by KRISKARRERA

sonofsam

Er, lol

On 205's I generally take out the strut complete(once the the top nut has been cracked)

Then take it into my nice warm garage and strip... the strut with the compressors, the rebuild with compressors, once you have a good few threads on the top nut, you take off the compressors and go refit to your car, the re-tighten the top nut.

Thats the way I was taught anyway.

The two sets of compressors I have, have a hex on both ends and the other set have a hex in the middle!

Both work equally as well as each other.

inferno

yer ill go with sam on this,remove the complete assembly then dismantle it. although spring compressors are one tool i hate working with!

pug_ham

Those are the worst kind of spring compressor you can get, they come of the spring when things get tight. I could've sold you mine for less than the ebay auction as I replaced them with some decent ones;

B0001KA0JU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If anyone can do it, Kris can't. :)

Graham.

sonofsam

Draper ones are nice to use.

Link

max0

I got these from ebay

040211224.jpg

nice/easy/safe to use, having 3 really helps as does the hole to get your wrench in and tighten/loosen them. Did you make the same school boy error as me, pulling the drive shaft out?

You live - you learn :)

Edited by max0

pug_ham
Draper ones are nice to use.

Link

Thats what I bought to replace the rubbish ones I had previously & are pictured above).

Graham.

Gibbo GTI

i've got a pair of the Draper ones. Not had any probs using them on the 205 or any other car for that matter.

Jer309GTi

Anyone used one of THESE?

Make the job so much easier. Used to have that set at a garage I worked at. Got a set of the Draper ones as above for my own use though, and do the job well enough

KRISKARRERA

I should have consulted Miles really, he's now explained that lowering the hub isn't deadly :) .

Miles

Can Kris fix it????

NOOOOOOO

Dream Weaver

Ooh good thread, i'm about to buy some compressors and was going to buy those eBay ones. :wacko:

So are the Draper ones the better option?

And is it worth cracking the big strut top nut on the car before removing the full strut/spring assembly?

Hoping to do mine this weekend, and I need to dismantle the std assemblies and fit the top bits on my new SBC setup.

KRISKARRERA

Finished it! :wacko:

Now sits on stilts lol, ride's nice and comfy though.

Task ruined by crap spring compressors. Not only are they crap but they are lethal.

You don't have to undo that nut before taking them off, still comes off easily with struts off car.

Rippthrough
Finished it! :wacko:

Now sits on stilts lol, ride's nice and comfy though.

Task ruined by crap spring compressors. Not only are they crap but they are lethal.

You don't have to undo that nut before taking them off, still comes off easily with struts off car.

It's worth cracking it though, one of mine was a right tight bugger. Other came off fine.

tom_m
And is it worth cracking the big strut top nut on the car before removing the full strut/spring assembly?

you don't have to but it certainly makes life easier if you do! as ripp says it can be a right bugger doing em when they're off the car.

johnrobertgordon

I have a set of the peoper peugot ones. They go through the holes. Never used them though. Wonder if they are worth anything.

pug_ham
So are the Draper ones the better option?

Yes on both counts, you can borrow my draper ones if you want Simon.

I have a set of the peoper peugot ones. They go through the holes. Never used them though. Wonder if they are worth anything.

If you mean the cables that go through the top mount & strut spring plates holes they are only any good for taking the strut off the car not for dismantling it.

You still need some proper compressors as they use half of the parts you need to take off to change springs to hold the springs compressed. I made some out of an old handbrake cable for use on my old diesel as the springs are massive on those & getting the strut out of the hubs was a nightmare without them held compressed.

Graham.

Miles

I'm just waiting for; Kris F****up his rear torsion bar's

KRISKARRERA
I'm just waiting for; Kris F****up his rear torsion bar's

You rudling!

Anyway tis ok to make mistakes the first time you do something.

I don't know if they even need adjusting though because the back was higher than the front with the lowering springs on.

johnrobertgordon
If you mean the cables that go through the top mount & strut spring plates holes they are only any good for taking the strut off the car not for dismantling it.

Graham.

yeah, dems the buggers.

Sign in to follow this