• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sport1901966

New Car Nightmare!

sport1901966

Bought a miami 1.9 gti last week. Took it for a good test drive and it felt great, very responsive, good steering response etc. :o

THEN....

Went for it's mot this weekend and it failed miserably. The most annoying failure being emissions apparently the CO was 'off the scale'.

And almost as bad was the N/S front brake braided hose splitting during the mot!

I'm also having lots of issues with the wiring - front driving lamps not working, nearside rear fog not working, and reverse lights not working. Initially I assumed bulbs - easy fix, but unfortunately not, although I don't mind sorting the wiring myself for that.

Pretty gutted as I had hoped for it too be on the road this week. :D

Basically I'm hoping you guys might be able to suggest reasons for the shocking emissions levels and also if you could tell me where the reverse light switch is.

Thanks for reading and cheers in advance for any suggestions!

*EDIT - just to add I have searched but just looking for as much info as possible!

Geoff

Edited by sport1901966

Mikey S
Bought a miami 1.9 gti last week. Took it for a good test drive and it felt great, very responsive, good steering response etc. :o

THEN....

Went for it's mot this weekend and it failed miserably. The most annoying failure being emissions apparently the CO was 'off the scale'.

And almost as bad was the N/S front brake braided hose splitting during the mot!

I'm also having lots of issues with the wiring - front driving lamps not working, nearside rear fog not working, and reverse lights not working. Initially I assumed bulbs - easy fix, but unfortunately not, although I don't mind sorting the wiring myself for that.

Pretty gutted as I had hoped for it too be on the road this week. B)

Basically I'm hoping you guys might be able to suggest reasons for the shocking emissions levels and also if you could tell me where the reverse light switch is.

Thanks for reading and cheers in advance for any suggestions!

*EDIT - just to add I have searched but just looking for as much info as possible!

Geoff

emisions is an easy fix. there is an screw on the airflow meter just wind it out to weaken the mixture.

the reverse light switch is on the top of the gearbox by the clutch arm. its usually a white multiplug. just unplug it and bridge the wires together and turn the ignition on to the second position. if the lights are working then its the switch at fault.

you need to arm yourslf with a multimeter and have a look at the foglight and driving lights and see whether you have any feeds to them or not.

hope that helps. :D

sport1901966
emisions is an easy fix. there is an screw on the airflow meter just wind it out to weaken the mixture.

the reverse light switch is on the top of the gearbox by the clutch arm. its usually a white multiplug. just unplug it and bridge the wires together and turn the ignition on to the second position. if the lights are working then its the switch at fault.

you need to arm yourslf with a multimeter and have a look at the foglight and driving lights and see whether you have any feeds to them or not.

hope that helps. :o

Thanks very much! Sounds much less 'nightmarish' now.

As for the feeds to the fogs, offside one has a feed but nearside doesn't, I have a haynes but only has the wiring for a single fog, also the wire numbers on the RH tail light cluster don't remotely match up.

On that note if anyone has any wiring diagrams that cover this I would appreciate it if you could post them up!

Thanks again for the help pugger

Miles

The 205's only have one fog as std unless you;ve got the phase 1 > 1.5 car and someone's fitted 2, The plug;s on the back of these are or can be exposed to the ellements and corrode up quite often, A clean of the plug's/pin's normally does the trick

Reverse light sounds like the same thing, Less likely to be the gearbox ut the sender's under the clutch arm.

CO you would have thought the MOT'er would have tried to adjust as it takes no time at all and with the sensor in the exhaust easy to see when right as doing it at home is only guess work, Worst case is the AFM needs replacing or very badly worn engine.

sport1901966
The 205's only have one fog as std unless you;ve got the phase 1 > 1.5 car and someone's fitted 2, The plug;s on the back of these are or can be exposed to the ellements and corrode up quite often, A clean of the plug's/pin's normally does the trick

Reverse light sounds like the same thing, Less likely to be the gearbox ut the sender's under the clutch arm.

CO you would have thought the MOT'er would have tried to adjust as it takes no time at all and with the sensor in the exhaust easy to see when right as doing it at home is only guess work, Worst case is the AFM needs replacing or very badly worn engine.

Cheers miles, regarding the foglights I thought that would be the case, but both have bulbs and wiring to them so I'm guessing someone has fitted another in which case they have probably just done a bad job of wiring... although the wires are numbered as pug would do so. Just don't match any wiring diagrams.......

I wasn't keen on this MOT place to be honest, they told me my rear discs were 'excessively pitted', which was absolute bull because there wasn't even a beginning of a lip on them. I got the feeling they thought they could get away with getting me to just turn around and tell them to do the work, and as such tried to make up more problems than there actually was.....I think not!

Edited by sport1901966

GLPoomobile
Cheers miles, regarding the foglights I thought that would be the case, but both have bulbs and wiring to them so I'm guessing someone has fitted another in which case they have probably just done a bad job of wiring... although the wires are numbered as pug would do so. Just don't match any wiring diagrams.......

I wasn't keen on this MOT place to be honest, they told me my rear discs were 'excessively pitted', which was absolute bull because there wasn't even a beginning of a lip on them. I got the feeling they thought they could get away with getting me to just turn around and tell them to do the work, and as such tried to make up more problems than there actually was.....I think not!

Been there done that and bought the t-shirt! I hate garages like that.

It such a huge benefit when you can find a good little old fasioned garage that you can trust. Of course it also helps if you learn to do as much on the car yourself and build up a supply of spare parts. Give it a few months of 205 ownership and you will probably be well on your way down this path.

GLPoomobile
The 205's only have one fog as std unless you;ve got the phase 1 > 1.5 car and someone's fitted 2,

i'm sure my f reg had both fog lights wired up! when pug originally designed the 205, if they had only intended to fit one fog light why would they have bothered to include 2 units? Actually forget that, it's probably down to the lhd/rhd variation.

anyway, surely it shouldn't fail on that if the offside unit is working!

jackherer
i'm sure my f reg had both fog lights wired up!

Like Miles said someone must've added one at some point, phase 1s and 1.5s have one fog light and one blanking plate and phase twos have one fog and a reversing light the other side.

sport1901966

Yea, they reckoned they were gonna get £600 outta me to sort all the probs :) . All of which I can do myself, I don't mind the work either it's a good little hobby. Just means I can start from scratch and make everything how I want it from the start.

Incidentally I have had some thoughts (during a especially boring lecture on, funnily enough, fluid dynamics) on an induction set up and wouldn't mind hearing you fellas thoughts on it.

Basically keeping the majority of standard piping and putting a cone filter of some sort in place of the standard air box, but, here is the main part of my idea, get hold of some of the heat reflective wrap (any suggestions on the best, I've spotted some on demon tweeks) and wrap all induction the pipes for some extra heat resistance, then form a kind of scoop shape out of sheet of heat reflective metal that will sit behind and underneath the cone (blocking the heat from the exhaust manifold) and with some more thought to the specific shape of the sheet cause cold air to flow around the whole circumference of the cone.

I like the idea of the headlight induction kit, but as it needs to be road legal that isn't an option.

I'm impressed with the site by the way, masses of very useful information here. Just gutted im stuck at uni away from the 205!

pug_ham

The reversing light isn't an mot point either so I can't see how they can fail you because it doesn't work!!

What age is your car & what lights are fitted? It is possible someone has modded the wiring (badly? ) to fit the phase 2 lights to a phase 1.5 car which could explain why the numbers don't match or your car is a phase 2 which isn't covered in the Haynes afaik. :)

Don't bother fitting the induction kit with the air filter above the manifold, even with some heat reflective plates / cold air ducting in place it will still draw hot air in because the whole of the under bonnet area gets warm. Even with the fiter behind the headlight it draws warm air in. The standard airbox system is very well designed so all the kit does is make more induction noise & easier access to the distributor etc. There are two guides on the main site if you want to fit one showing how to make one.

Graham.

sport1901966

Funny you say that as I have just had that thought, when did the phases swap over, mine is a J 92. I have this suspicion as the sidelight on the left of the car is the inside upper bulb and on the right of the car is the outside upper bulb (i think might be the other way round but strange all the same) although I can't see any obvious evidence of rewiring....

The idea behind the induction setup was as a kind of in the middle - doesn't require cutting up pipes etc, but isn't as bad as just sticking the cone directly above the manifold. Although what you say is true, it would be hot in the engine bay still.

pug_ham

They swapped over on the H registration between 90 & 91.

Your car is a phase 2 in that case & will have a fog light on the offside & reversing light on the nearside of the number plate. The plugs & connections at the back of them rust easily due to the location so they will very likely need cleaning or replacing to get it to work.

The sidelight location differs one headlamps according to what make they are, I have them with the sidelight either side of the main bulb for the same side of the car.

Graham.

sport1901966
They swapped over on the H registration between 90 & 91.

Your car is a phase 2 in that case & will have a fog light on the offside & reversing light on the nearside of the number plate. The plugs & connections at the back of them rust easily due to the location so they will very likely need cleaning or replacing to get it to work.

The sidelight location differs one headlamps according to what make they are, I have them with the sidelight either side of the main bulb for the same side of the car.

Graham.

Thanks for the info, can't wait to get home and get on with sorting stuff.

Sorry should have said I meant the rear lights in regards to the sidelight bulbs.

Geoff

pug_ham
Sorry should have said I meant the rear lights in regards to the sidelight bulbs.

The rear lights are twin bulb so they are either a bad connection or blown, easy fix.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this