• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Can You Hear Your Fuel Pump Priming?

Mike Walker

I can stick my ear practically inside the fuel pump and still can't hear it priming when you switch the ignition. I would have thought that no matter how quite it was you would still hear something with your ear about 5mm away from it???

This is linked to a starting problem i.e. the car won't start!!

I've changed the ignition module and the coil so next on the list is fuel pump relay but i'll be pissed if I spend £40 on one and end up using it as a very light paperweight.

Alastairh

You should hear it being that close, i only hear mine when driving when im REALLY low on fuel.

get a £5 multimeter and pull the plug off the pump to test power. Also check the earth which sits behind the passenger rear light.

If not pull that taccy relay out and check for bad solder.

Alastair

Craigb

i can hear mine when i am sat in the drivers seat .

do you have a tachy relay you can borrow to test prior to buying ?

hengti

easy way of checking the pump is to run some wire directly from the battery (sorry - can't remember which terminal is which - it'll be on search)

if the system has de-pressurised (eg. been left overnight) then you should get an audible 'hiss' from the pump as it primes the system

btw - good luck trying to find a scrap fuel pump in Bristol if you need one! couldn't find one anywhere when mine went recently

Edited by hengti

Mike Walker

I have a multimeter but havn't the faintest how to use it. An electronics engineer mate came round last weekend and couldn't get any reading off the fuel pump or between the fuel pump and the fuse space on the fuse board in the glovebox that should be in the circuit. He did get a reading between a wire that had been cut and left with a bear end that used to house an inline fuse for something and the fuel pump.

If this led a qualified and practicing electronics engineer to be confused then i've get feck all chance of understanding whats going on!

How do you check the solders in the relay, do you have to break it open?

Mike Walker
easy way of checking the pump is to run some wire directly from the battery (sorry - can't remember which terminal is which - it'll be on search)

if the system has de-pressurised (eg. been left overnight) then you should get an audible 'hiss' from the pump as it primes the system

btw - good luck trying to find a scrap fuel pump in Bristol if you need one! couldn't find one anywhere when mine went recently

Cool thats nice and easy, i'm assuming it will be the +ve supply.....

I've already spoken to every single scrappy in and around Bristol and none of them have a GTi or any GTi parts in!!! :D

Alastairh

If you want a working fuel pump, as it happens i have one on ebay

By any chance, when you turn the car over, does the rev counter bounce?

Mike Walker

No it doesn't move :D

Does anyone know what this cut wire might be? It is in the loom by the fuse box and has space for an inline fuse.

C_W

My 8v used to prime on ignition (and rev coutner bounce on turning over) on but my Mi16 doesn't do either for some reason.

Mike Walker
My 8v used to prime on ignition (and rev coutner bounce on turning over) on but my Mi16 doesn't do either for some reason.

I don't really remember hearing mine have a particularly audible prime but i'm certain that if you listen intently in the right places you should hear something happening whether it be a relay going or the pump priming or whatever but you get absolutely nothing.

Is there anything related to the ignition (apart from the barrell of course) down in the drivers footwell area?

When it first had the problem it used to cut out every now and then and would be coupled with the sound of a relay going somewhere down in the drivers footwell??

Alastairh

I have no clue what this wire is, colour/number?

Deffinatly a taccy relay related problem rather than the fuel pump its self.

As when the car turns over the rev counter should bounce, which is controlled by the taccy relay for the injectors to fire.

Trace where this wire goes and check all connections, and see if it goes to the taccy relay. Take the relay out, un clip the black cover, and see if you can see any damage, or get another.

Alastair

ALEX

:D I just paid £50 for a secondhand one.

Mine wolun't start sometimes and the AA guy checked that the pump was getting power and it sounded like is was dead.

When I did a bench test on it though out of the car connecting it direct to the battery it worked.

I bought a new pump anyway as it had a split in it along the top face of the casing, and If I brake down again the AA wont help me until I tried a new pump.

With the new pump I havn't had the problem again yet

Mike Walker
I have no clue what this wire is, colour/number?

Deffinatly a taccy relay related problem rather than the fuel pump its self.

As when the car turns over the rev counter should bounce, which is controlled by the taccy relay for the injectors to fire.

Trace where this wire goes and check all connections, and see if it goes to the taccy relay. Take the relay out, un clip the black cover, and see if you can see any damage, or get another.

Alastair

The wire is black but i'm not sure on the number. The reason it was tested was because we read somewhere in the Haynes manual that there was an inline fuse for the fuel pump although I can't understand how the car would have been running fine without it connected (there was no fuse in there either) if that is the case. A couple of other points to note are that the coil was buggered as far as we could tell from the multimeter and the black box bolted to the slam panel with a wire going to the positive terminal of the battery had a fuse blown in it.

pacey205

I used to hear it prime quite clearly with the 8v but couldnt hear it when the engine was actually running. CW with the Mi it dosent prime because power is only sent to the fuel pump when cranking (I believe) and therefore you cant hear it.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Mike Walker

Sounds like i'll be popping up to ECP for a new relay, can't believe they're so bleedin expensive!!

Edit: Anyone know if a relay from any other car will work as i'd much prefer to go down the scrappy and hand him a fiver than hand ECP £40.

Edited by Mike Walker

hengti

not sure of compatibility but - if it helps - Yate Breakers have a CTi in their shed. it doesn't have a fuel pump ( :D ) but may still have its tachy relay

Mike Walker
not sure of compatibility but - if it helps - Yate Breakers have a CTi in their shed. it doesn't have a fuel pump ( :D ) but may still have its tachy relay

Excellent, appreciate the heads up :lol:

Mike Walker

Right, got the relay out and opened it up. The bits of solder on the board for the coil have been melted down and there's signs of burning. I concluded that it was fooked so wired up the two white wires to the taccy to a switched live. THIS WORKED!!!

Well, it worked in the sense that the fuel pump now primes but the car still doesn't start. This might well be because the battery is dead as a doormat so even with the car hooked up to some juice from another car it barely turns over.

Alastairh

Nice one, get a decent battery on there pronto and it might just work!

If you want to save a few quid over Ecp for a taccy relay, give www.205parts.com a bell, and im sure Paul can do a good second hand one cheaper!

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

jim205GTI

Hey if some one could post the code up for the taccy relay i might be able to help mike as i have managed to dig a relay out from my parts dump but not sure what it is :unsure:

steve031286
You should hear it being that close, i only hear mine when driving when im REALLY low on fuel.

I second that one! I cant amagine its ever a good idea though. Its probably minutes from burning out! are fuel pumps easy access on a 205. Having owned one for like 2 years ive never even looked!

Steve

Guest Michael MRK

well, if you can't find a GTi Fuel Pump, do as I did, get urself 405 Prestige Fuel Pump, its an External Fuel Pump, install it in your torsion bar (close to the fuel tank), reconnect fuel lines if needed, and it'll work just great...!!

Mike Walker
Hey if some one could post the code up for the taccy relay i might be able to help mike as i have managed to dig a relay out from my parts dump but not sure what it is :o

Hi mate,

Thanks again for the coil :D

The relay is a black oblong shape with Bosch written on it clearly. I can get the part number this evening would be great if Its the right one!!

Guest mrtcotton

When is the relay actually energised though? What generates the signal?

Should it be on all the time, etc. Is it just for cold starts?

I know it primes/pressurises the system prior to starting (or at least it should do :unsure: )

Not sure if my wiring is suspect. The relay is new genuine Peugeot spare part.

So how do you know when its not running? Is there a tell-tale sign?

Questions, questions!

Sign in to follow this