• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest javars

Fuel Overrun Shut Off

Guest javars

Hi

Picking up my new (well old) 1.9 yesterday reminded me how harsh the fuel shutoff system on overrun is, and jerky on take up in slow moving traffic (M6). Can this be bypassed ?

Has anyone had any experience of the chip (not resistor) currently offered on evilbay. Ive read that some of these chips bypass the overrun.

Thanks in advance

Steve :)

Simes

Fit an Mi16 and all your troubles will be gone!!

Seriously though I found you just have to ride the clutch.

Guest javars

Know what you mean but Im sure bypassing that switch would sort it. :)

pugrallye

there is no physical switch to bypass, the overrun shut off is in the engine map as far as i remember, I think it was superchips who used to delete it from the map when the rewrote the coding

Guest javars

I thought there was a switch built into the tps ?

Guest javars

Well I did it, adjusted so the switch does'nt, well...............switch !

The difference is huge, no jerking on/off throttle at low speed.

Will try it for the next few days & report

Steve

dommorton

This sounds like the same issue I'm having!

click

Edited by dommorton

Guest javars

Yep, I reckon thats the same thing. Im going to give it a few days to see if there are any downsides. But I was in 30mph stop start traffic today & it was great not having to slip the clutch (as much) :)

dommorton

I'm just returning to 205 driving too and it was a hell of a mission just keeping the bloody thing going at all in traffic! :)

Does moving the TPS not make all the other throttle positions report incorrectly tho?

Edited by dommorton

Guest javars

The way I look at it is like this..................the car was happy to run with the throttle 99% closed but not 100%. So ive set the TPS to think its always 99%. If that makes sense ?

Edited by javars

dommorton

Yes but is 100% open not 99% open now?

Guest javars

Probably, but whats more important. Flat out (albeit 99%) or civilised running for the majority of your driving ?

dommorton

Just wondering if there is a better way? perhaps disabling the microswitch on the TPS in some way?

Guest javars

Should be fairly easy to work out, theres only 3 wires so 1 must be to & 1 must be from the overrun switch, but until I know which Im going to try this on.

Richie-Van-GTi

Just so you know, its a switch, not a potentiometer so there is no 99% etc, just on/off :unsure:

dommorton

So there is only a switch at closed throttle?

Guest javars

Well it certainly seems to run a lot smoother !

dommorton

Why the hell was it fitted in the first place? :)

boombang

Inside there is a switch that cuts fuel off throttle, and also a switch to detect near open and full open throttle that gives extra fuelling.

If the car is jumpy going from on to off throttle you either have the settings wrong or play in something like engine mounts causing engine to move and jerk throttle back open.

By disabling the switch you are masking a problem rather than solving it, and if disconnected you lose full throttle fuelling.

Guest javars

Can only tell you how it is, as far as I was concerned the switch is an economy/emission thing, a lot of 80s fords used a similar system but they seemed softer on take up.

Surely mines not the only 205 to be jerky on & off throttle ?

Im pretty sure the jerkiness is down to fuel switched on & off, If you killed the ignition for instance it would have the same effect on smooth running, so why not the fueling ?

And if there is a way it detects full throttle, it still will as the low speed switch is only adjusted not to switch off, not disabled.

Edited by javars

Richie-Van-GTi

one issue you will have with it set to not switch off is that on idle you are over fueling. I found that by tinkering with settings such as air bypass screw, throttle stop screw, ignition timing and AFM mixture screw I got mine perfectly driveable around time. It tok a fe twiddles here and there but its definatley doable.

Sign in to follow this